MidSouth Shooters SupplyWidenersRotoMetals2Load Data
Inline FabricationRepackboxReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Operation issue on a old Savage/Springfield shotgun

Operation issue on a old Savage/Springfield shotgun

My buddy came across a Springfield 67B he picked up for 20 bucks it was locked up of course. He brought it to me to make it work again. I got it in jamed and ordered the parts that were broken or missing. The original jam occurred when the screw holding the shell stop arm came out and slid back with the bolt. I ended up replacing the nut and screw for the arm and the firing pin. Got everything back together last night and now the bolt won’t unlock until you finger the slide release. When I pull the action back apart and after measuring depths and run the assembly it all seems to function properly moving the locking arm out of the way of the bolt. Any ideas on what cause if this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

does the action cycle after pulling the trigger?

Only if I use the slide release it stays locked until then

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    30 miles South of Cheyenne, unfortunately
    Well, I don't know about this particular shotgun, but I know on M-12s, the forearm has to move forward just a tiny bit to release the bolt lock, which would be done unconsciously when the shotgun is fired because the hand holding the forearm will usually create enough resistance to push the forearm forward.

Try pushing forward on the forearm after you pull the trigger, empty chamber, and see if that doesn't release the lock.

Many years ago I had a fellow bring me a M-12 Trap, which is a rather heavy gun, because he was having a problem with occasionally the lock not releasing. It was a combination of extremely light loads and heavy gun and very light grip on forearm. Tightened up his grip on the forearm and the problem went away.
    When it's time to fight, you fight like you are the third monkey on the ramp to Noah's Ark.... and brother, it's STARTING TO RAIN!!

I’ve tried kicking it foreword before pulling it back it stays locked until I hit the slide release I was hoping someone would say that’s just how they made em. I’m wondering if that she’ll stop bar is so posed to rock when fired and help release the bolt. If that’s the case I may have over torqued the screw so that the bar doesn’t move like it should. But it’s on the opposite side of the shotgun from the slide release

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    Sounds like the slide lock is not releasing when the hammer drops.

Yeah that’s what is happening I haven’t been able to get the springs to do any better tweaking them a bit. In fact last time I tweaked the springs it started not locking up til I pulled the trigger. I’m about to start replacing the slide lock pieces until it works right

Using Tapatalk

Boolit Master
    These guns are notorious for these kind of issues, the 170 Pump 30/39 is also. I pulled my hair out working on one, till I figured out the single slide bar has to be inline, perfectly for the action to work, you can move the slide bar up and down quite a bit. This does not sound like the only problem with yours though. There is a spring in the trigger group, that goes under a bar like piece, that makes the slide work, the bolt release. I think this is correct, my memory aint what it used to be, but worked on several in my 35+years of gunsmithing.

I ended up replacing hammer and hammer spring hammer pin and the slide release works like a charm now!

Using Tapatalk

In my experience they are bottom rung pump shotguns. Even Mossbergs work better. If you don’t snick- snack them with force there’s gonna be trouble. The pot metal tang is easily broken at the wrist of the stock. That said, I hope it keeps working for him. $20+ ain’t bad