RotoMetals2WidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
RepackboxSnyders JerkyLoad DataLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply Titan Reloading
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ball/Spherical Hand gun powder

Banned

I used pr200 when it was available. its just aa2 and that's still my hands down favorite handgun powder for light to mid range loads. Its very accurate, meters perfectly and is clean burning.

Boolit Bub
    Titegroup, HP-38,Bullseye,And WW231 are powders I have used a lot over the years with great success.They are all (fast burning?). I 44 Mag the velocity will not be greatest can be accurate IMHO that might be asking a lot out of 1 powder. Out of the above powders Titegroup is my favorite, but they are all good.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm currently using W231 which would work for you, when I use up this 8 pounder I'll be switching to AA#2, cleaner burning accurate powder. Many years ago Unique got the nod for everything, a day at the range looked like you had been mining coal, someone on here called it "flaming dirt" stuck for me.
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Master

I have used Unique, 700X, Bullseye, etc and other 'fluffy' powders a lot.
    I have adjusted my Hornady Auto Charge to meter them fast and very accurately.
    I have been loading my pistol shells on my P200 loader with the RCBS Lil Dandy measure and am not getting charges that are consistent enough for me.
    Taking them out of the P200 to charge them slows my down.
    I was thinking that with the easy metering ball powders I could just charge my cases in the P200 with a twist of the wrist and not have to remove them to get consistent charges.
    Thanks for your answers. Keep them coming...dale

Boolit Grand Master
    For me, in those calibers and assuming light loads in the .44, I would go with HP38 (same as 231). I got a deal on 35 lbs of CleanShot and think it would be ok...but have not tried it yet.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

I will say two powders are a must if you want to do justice to the high pressure calibers.

A fast powder will not get you all you are supposed to have in them. Unless you are happy with lower velocities at Safe pressures.

A medium burn powder won’t burn as good in low pressure rounds and in my experience was less accurate and dirty when run light where I wanted to be.

I am all for consolidating when it makes sense. Of course one look at my powder stocks and you would call me a bald faced liar.

Edits

AA5 is a smooth throwing powder. It is ok for accuracy but I tend to load it below its preferred pressure range making it dirty. Run it firmly and the dirt goes away.

AA2 and AA5 would cover you I think.

I have CFE pistol and BE86 but I haven’t had the time to get to them.

Boolit Mold
    I am interested in the effect of the CFE compound on older (seasoned) barrels. So far I have used CFE 223 and CFE Pistol, both seem to meter well and burn clean. My AR seems to be inherently accurate and still shoots plenty accurately for iron sights with CFE. I Did notice CFE pistol at the top of the load data charts in my Lee manual. Works great for 45 in my 1911, also well for 9mm. Comparing it to Power Pistol my experience says CFE makes less muzzle flame and meters just as well.
    As for effect on old barrels I haven’t loaded it into anything like that yet. Have you guys tried that yet?

I like TiteGroup for an all around handgun powder and cast bullet rifle loads. It will work in about any cartridge. The one problem that can be encountered is it goes from mild to wild very quickly so work up in small steps as you get to the top end. Gp

Boolit Buddy
    IMHO both W231 & AA#5 are the most flexible . Titegroup I do not like as it's never given me the accuracy I demand . It also occupies very little space making double charges harder to verify with a glance .

Universal Clays

It is clean and meters well, and will work in 44.

Boolit Bub
    Another vote for 231/HP38, great powder. On my larger, 41,44,45 caliber cast loads I'm starting to use a lot of Trail boss.

Boolit Master

Right now I'm using Clays in .45 ACP. Mostly under a 200 gr SWC.

For 9mm it's WST for bullets in the 120-130 gr range, and Ramshot Competition for the heavy 147+ stuff.

10mm I'm running Blue Dot or AA9.

I've got around 30 different pistol powders on hand. I've loaded close to two dozen different powders in .45 ACP. Right now I'm on an economy kick, Clays is giving me 2000 loads per pound.
    NRA Benefactor.

Another vote for 231....I also run a lot of Red Dot. Both are pretty hard to beat for light-mid level loads.

redhawk

The only stupid question...is the unasked one.
    Not all who wander....are lost.
    "Common Sense" is like a flower. It doesn't grow in everyone's garden.

If more government is the answer, then it was a really stupid question. - Ronald Reagan

Boolit Master
    GONRA uses 231 for reloading all sorts of oddball collector autopistol calibers.
    BUT - for .44 mag, .44 AutoMag, .45 WinMag autopistols - use Blue Dot.
    These all burn clean & meter OK.

Boolit Master
    I was given some WST loaded rounds by a very good friend. Shot so well never bothered to try out any other powder in 45acp. Frank

Banned

I used pr200 surplus for probably 10 years. Fell in love with the stuff. When the supply dried up I went to aa2 (same thing) Meters perfectly, burns clean and is economical. Wish I could find about 50 more lbs of pr200 like when we got it for 50 bucks a keg!!

Boolit Mold
    I have switched to Alliant Sport Pistol for all 38, 9mm, 40, and 45 pistol loads for competition. It's clean burning and is recommended for Hi-Tech coated bullets because of its lower flame temps, unlike Titegroup which is dirty and hot burning.

Boolit Grand Master

FWIW; I use Unique, Universal and BR-5 for all the cartridges listed, except 40 S&W, which I don't reload...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

I like Win 231. I use it in .38 spec, 357 mag, 44 mag when I had one, 223 Rem for light cast bullet loads in both my Mod 70 Varmint Sporter and my Mini 14, 7x57 Mauser for my CBA Military Match loads, and am going to trying it in my 32-40 Hi Wall

Boolit Master
    231 or universal clays, I prefer universal.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12