RotoMetals2RepackboxWidenersLoad Data
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters Supply PBcastco

Thread: .444 Marlin load recipe for 240 gr. jacketed bullets.

Boolit Buddy

.444 Marlin load recipe for 240 gr. jacketed bullets.

Howdy,
    Just picked up a used .444 Marlin with an 18.5" Micro groove barrel. I happen to have a good stock of 240 gr. Hornady jacketed silhouette bullets to use up.
    Anybody have any recommendations for low to moderate recoil practice load that doesn't require dacron filler?
    Thanks, Andy
    Last edited by Andy45; 01-05-2020 at 12:23 AM. Reason: Stupid Autocorrect!!!

Boolit Master
    My 444 Microgroove lever absolutely loves about 20 gr of 5744 with a 265 gr SWC-PB. Not even a hint of leading at that low velocity and I believe it is more than just a practice load you can shoot all day for little money without an aching shoulder. The reason I know it is more than a practice load is that I used that same boolit with a sabot in my 50 cal muzzleloader for elk for many years (and Roosevelt elk) at only a couple hundred feet per second high velocity. You can accomplish the same load with other powders like 4198, RE-7, and Red Dot without fillers. Every barrel has its own personality and what it likes, of course, but one of those powders should work.

Andy45: +1 for the 5744 load mentioned above. For the price, I find Shooters World Buffalo Rifle powder to be a very close if not the same burn rate as 5744. I've never had a problem in several different calibers using 5744 data with Buffalo Rifle. Gp

Boolit Master
    my 444p marlin likes 54.5 IMR 3031 with 240 gr. HP and 51.5 IMR 3031 with 265gr FP both shoot 1" at 100 yds. but these loads may be a bit hot for you but shoot great in my rifle. I am not afraid of recoil I like preformance in my loads .

Boolit Buddy
    Thanks guys. I'll start with these.

Boolit Buddy
    Ken Waters Pet Loads 240gr/49.5gr IMR 4198/2400fps comments best 240gr load.............56gr-H-335/265gr /1947fps.........most accurate.Use caution your mileage may vary.