RepackboxTitan ReloadingWidenersLee Precision
RotoMetals2ADvertise hereInline Fabrication

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 44 Magnum Load Question

Quote Originally Posted by mtnman31 View Post
    My bullets were a 230gr lead semi-wadcutter.
    The 230gr bullet is lighter than the preferred 245gr Kieth bullet. The weight and load makes a big difference in powder burn. For the lighter 230gr and slower velocities.....2400, Unique or 231 may work best if a cleaner bore is desired. The 44 Magnum demands heavy bullets, a heavy crimp and magnum primers for Magnum slower burning powders. IMR-4227 is IMR's Magnum powder...which are actually slower burning rifle powders. Shooting the lighter bullets, maybe a lighter crimp and non magnum primers will leave unburned powder sometimes called "skeletons" in the bore.

Kieth's famous loads was supposed to be the #429421 245gr SWC with 20.6gr of 2400 @ 1,248fps from a 4" Universal Receiver with a 1-20 twist and 37,200cup.

Anything lighter and slower will need a faster burning Pistol Powder rather than a slower burning rifle powder for a cleaner burn.

This has been my argument when folks accuse me of trying to turn the 44-40 into a 44 Magnum without due process. Their ignorance is embarrassing! I get a lot of the unburned "skeletons" with the 44-40 because only 65% of the slower burning rifle powders are burned with only a 200gr-220gr bullet. Pistol powders are more "efficient" but slower burning rifle powders give me the lower pressures at higher velocities that I desire with that cartridge.

In a way, when a 44 Magnum is loaded with a lighter bullet at lower velocities...along with Outpost's reply...it is being loaded to 230gr-240gr 44-40 max loads but at higher pressures.

I think I am done editing now!!!!
    Last edited by Savvy Jack; 01-06-2020 at 07:45 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Alliant changed 2400 powder a few years ago to make it burn more completely. As stated above, 20 grains of 2400 under a 240-250 grain bullet is the new pressure max.
    2400 is the most accurate power in my SBH revolvers, even with a 300 gr cast bullet. It's also the most accurate in my Marlin 1894 with a jacketed bullet.

Boolit Master
    It sounds like you already met your goal. 1300 fps with a 230 grain bullet is no slouch. I've never found a correlation to slower powders always shooting better than faster powders, that sounds like an old wives tale. You have to accept some reduction in velocity, but I find great accuracy with Unique, 800x, and Bluedot. Bluedot shoots better than H110 75% of the time for me.

As for IMR 4227, I think you have a double whammy of a light bullet and a light powder charge. You are around the listed starting load. The problem I always find with 4227 is you can't fit enough in a magnum handgun case. Accuracy for me gets better and better as a go up until I can't even fully seat the bullet I'm compressing it so much. To give you an idea, about the ideal cartridge I have found for 4227 is the 357 maximum. That case has just enough room to fit all you need to get the pressure where it wants to be. That said, I have got good accuracy in 44 magnum with 4227, but I used heavier bullets, and a well compressed charge. H110 is a better powder.

Knoxville, TN until I get back to Montana.
    I took a good look at my molds and have decided I will drop the 230gr bullet and focus my efforts on building a load around a copy of the H&G 503 bullet. I have a mold from one of the early MP runs and it casts perfect bullets. It is plain base and I can cast them in the solid or HP version. I loaded up a few recipes with this bullet (weighs 245gr lubed as hollow point) and I'll hit the range tomorrow. I've got some loads to test out using 2400 and IMR-4227. I also put a little heavier crimp on than I had with the previous loads. I do I have W296 on hand but will wait to try that as some of the load suggestions I've found specified magnum primers.

I've got a number of molds for 44 but realized that this is the only plain base mold in the bunch. All the rest are gas check designs.
    Picture is what I'll be shooting.

Just loaded this video up on youtube for you. I made this video back around 2012ish

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12