RepackboxLoad DataTitan ReloadingWideners
Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Inline Fabrication Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another Uberti Deer Kill

Quote Originally Posted by Hickok View Post
    Perfect shot. A big slap on the back for your handgun hunt!

I use the RCBS boolit in 250 gr in my 45's, and get the same results. Both the 250 and 270 gr RCBS have a huge meplat, and it really thumps when it hits.
    Thank you!

I really believe RCBS moulds are sadly overlooked. Everyone I've ever used has cast wonderfully accurate bullets and I appreciate the large meplats of the 44-250-KT and 45-270-SAA moulds.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by monge View Post
    well done yummy trophy!
    Thanks and yes, be will be yummy and tender. I let him hang in my shop for a week with the hide on then took him to the processor where he was in his cooler for another couple of weeks. So the meat should be very tender.

35W
    The biggest waste of time is arguing with the fool and fanatic who doesn't care about truth or reality, but only the victory of his beliefs and illusions.
    There are people who, for all the evidence presented to them, do not have the ability to understand.

NRA Life Member

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I’ve left the hide on in 40 degree plus weather and the deer has turned green,blue, & purple within or less than 24 hours. I normally peel the hide right off as soon as I get home or the following morning. I then cut the deer up and throw the front shoulders and rear quarters in a cooler with ice to age for a few days. This year I scanned one down as soon as I got it home and then I let it sit in the garage for a week and a half since it was in single-digit weather. The deer literally was frozen solid when I went to cut the front and rear quarters off. I had to use my saws all the cut the legs off and then I took them in the house to thaw out so I could cut the meat off the bone. Probably didn’t get much aging being frozen solid.

Congrats and thanks for sharing. I would have never thought of carrying one of my Cowboy Guns Hunting...Something to think about...👍👍
    ............(Lông Trắng)............
    (si vis pacem, para bellum)

Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I’ve left the hide on in 40 degree plus weather and the deer has turned green,blue, & purple within or less than 24 hours. I normally peel the hide right off as soon as I get home or the following morning. I then cut the deer up and throw the front shoulders and rear quarters in a cooler with ice to age for a few days. This year I scanned one down as soon as I got it home and then I let it sit in the garage for a week and a half since it was in single-digit weather. The deer literally was frozen solid when I went to cut the front and rear quarters off. I had to use my saws all the cut the legs off and then I took them in the house to thaw out so I could cut the meat off the bone. Probably didn’t get much aging being frozen solid.
    As long as it doesn't get out of the '50's in the day, I leave them hang in my shop where it stays remarkably temperate. I leave the hide on to keep the meat from getting that leathery texture on the outside. Never had a problem.

35W

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by Weaponologist View Post
    Congrats and thanks for sharing. I would have never thought of carrying one of my Cowboy Guns Hunting...Something to think about...����
    Thanks! I really enjoy the challenge using the cowboy guns. Of course I shoot them alot out to 75 yds. so 50 yd and less shots are pretty easy. You should try it!

35W

NRA Life Member

Boolit Mold
    Congrats and thanks for sharing. I wish I could learn to shoot a pistol like that.

Nice. Congrats on the deer.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Never fails I went out for four days during our holiday hunt looking for does and never saw a doe. I walked up in the woods yesterday squirrel hunting and walked right up on one. It trotted out to about 100 yards from me and stood there for 15 minutes and finally walked away.

Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-06-2020 at 12:06 PM.

Thanks again for all the kind words, guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Lowbudget12 View Post
    Congrats and thanks for sharing. I wish I could learn to shoot a pistol like that.
    I assure you if I can do it, anybody can. When I first started with a revolver, I practiced a lot. Got proficient at 25 yds., then innocently starting shooting and my 50 yd. steel targets, then 50 got easier and I set up a 75 yd. target. Next thing I knew 50 yds. became a breeze, 75 yds. became doable and now I'm pretty regularly hitting a 17" steel disc hanging from my 100 yd. target stand. So all it takes is an accurate revolver, good loads, practice and perseverance.

35W

NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by 35 Whelen View Post
    Thanks again for all the kind words, guys.

I assure you if I can do it, anybody can. When I first started with a revolver, I practiced a lot. Got proficient at 25 yds., then innocently starting shooting and my 50 yd. steel targets, then 50 got easier and I set up a 75 yd. target. Next thing I knew 50 yds. became a breeze, 75 yds. became doable and now I'm pretty regularly hitting a 17" steel disc hanging from my 100 yd. target stand. So all it takes is an accurate revolver, good loads, practice and perseverance.

35W
    Agreed! Years ago I could hit a 16" steel disk at 100 yards regularly from a standing, two hand hold with my Dan Wesson .44 mag w/ 6" barrel. Yes, I practiced a lot and had a good load so I know it can be done. I can't do that now but I'm out of practice and my eyes don't like iron sights near well as they used to.

Congrats on the deer! Glad some folks are filling their tags cuz I couldn't this year due to work and other logistical issues. Oh well.

Boolit Master

Some years ago, I picked up an H&R Classic Carbine in 45 Colt for really cheap as they were discontinuing. I just had to have a 45 Colt pistol to go with the carbine. I found and Old Model Vaquero in 45 Colt that had never seen factory loads as the previous owner shot wax for quick draw. I didn't like that he changed the springs which are kind of light. I have another Vaquero in 38-40 WCF with a spare cylinder for 40 S&W and the springs are stock. I will by the spring kit and have my gunsmith buddy walk me through replacement.

45 Colt is such an underrated cartridge by those who haven't studied up. I really got interested when my Dad bought bought a Colt made in 1898. He has only shot BP loads and even those only sparingly. Having watched a video of a guy loading BP for his Colt, he was getting 1000 FPS from his 7 1/2" barrel with a 255 grain mold. That is some serious deer medicine for sure. I mostly use Unique but I have done some loads with Bullseye. My favorite plinking load has been a round ball with 3 grains of Bullseye. That gave me 950 FPS from the Carbine which sounded more like a 22 LR. Good times, but I really look forward to using the Vaquero and Carbine on pigs on a friends ranch using the 255 RF. He says the piggies are a problem in Oklahoma, I'm looking forward to helping him out.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

Good job! That thumb size hole lets the wind out quite handily, and puts them down smartly, you put it right it belonged!
    Charter Member #148

Boolit Buddy

Good shooting Tex.

Nice harvest and recovery.

Same RCBS 45-270SAA bullet pushed by 9.0 to 9.5 grains of Unique in a Ruger Super Blackhawk or stainless RedHawk is strong medicine.

If bullet placement was 4" left and 4" up, both shoulders would be punched, and likely spine nicked..... and the deer would drop inside it's own shadow. Eat up to the hole...

I won't take a shot if I need to track , and teach DRT discipline or pass.
    Salvaging old Marlins is not a pasttime...it's a passion

Boolit Grand Master
    The damage pictured to ribs and lungs is exactly what I get when I run a 246 grain 452423 NOE clone at 950 or so fps from my 625-3 Auto Rim revolver, but then given the ballistics are so close one would expect that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12