Snyders JerkyLee PrecisionLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2RepackboxTitan ReloadingWideners
Inline Fabrication Reloading Everything
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456

Thread: Interesting how many small and underpowered cartridges have been used over the years

Hard to think of the 45-70 as being insufficient for anything on this continent, even with it's original loads.
    This only happens when you compare it to modern magnum cartridges.
    There was a time when a 50 caliber round ball over black powder was considered adequate for anything you were going to shoot.
    Everything is subjective.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    Hard to think of the 45-70 as being insufficient for anything on this continent, even with it's original loads.
    This only happens when you compare it to modern magnum cartridges.
    There was a time when a 50 caliber round ball over black powder was considered adequate for anything you were going to shoot.
    Everything is subjective.
    if the old 45-70 was still considered good as is, on the same animals as it was in 1880. Then they would not have 3 power levels in the reloading books for it.

Banned
    most handguns were sold for dog defense, and most men who rode a horse had one in the case they were getting drug by a horse they could try to blow its brains out, and ive they were busted up to much their own. Same for wagon drivers

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by nikonuser View Post
    if the old 45-70 was still considered good as is, on the same animals as it was in 1880. Then they would not have 3 power levels in the reloading books for it.

Strange, I would have thought a .45 caliber hole in the 1880's was still a .45 caliber hole now........and most times there's 2 holes.

The 3 power levels apply to differing strengths of firearms, it's still a big hole, no matter how you look at it.

I don't think modern game animals are able to shrug off a hole that big, especially with a solid hit, any better than they did in 1880.

A bad hit with any cartridge is still a bad hit, no matter if it's an "insufficient" 45-70, or a highly overrated Magnum.

Quote Originally Posted by nikonuser View Post
    Everyone tries to "improve" a cartridge. How many cartridges did Ackley "improve"? How many people blow guns up every year trying to get more performance out of them just because they can?
    The 45-70 was adequate the way it was. Someone wanted a more powerful cartridge. I used to be that way. Now I just want accurate and pleasant to shoot.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    My Mom was a ER Supervisor nurse. See told me one time they removed a .22 bullet
    from someone that didn't have the usual rifling marks.
    It caught her eye that there were powder burns from a gunshot, but no rifling marks on the slug.

A few years later, I was talking to a cop buddy and mentioned it to him.
    He explained how it was done, and said they saw cases like that on occasion in the inner city.
    We used to make zip guns out of car antenna's. They were common in the cities. No rifling marks.

Boolit Master
    Something that worked even better than the antennas was a SBC pushrod.Saw many .22 rf chambers repaired using a piece of one to reline a bad chamber.
    Good luck.Have fun.Be safe.
    Leo
    People never lie so much as after a hunt,during a war,or before an election.
    Otto von Bismarck

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst 123456