Titan ReloadingLee PrecisionLoad DataWideners
Inline FabricationRepackboxSnyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters Supply
RotoMetals2 Reloading Everything

Thread: Expansion Dies' Definitive Differences?

Expansion Dies' Definitive Differences?

Based on my reading this is what I think I have learned. There are dies that flare the case neck, dies that expand & flare the case neck and dies that expand & flare with a step.

Flaring Only:
    Lee Universal Case Expanding Die

Expand & Flare without Step:
    RCBS Neck Expander Die (their universal version which you can buy different sized plugs for)
    RCBS Cowboy Neck Expander Dies

Expand & Flare with Step:
    Lyman M Dies
    NOE Expander Plugs (for use with Lee Universal Case Expanding Die)

These are just the ones that I am aware of. Any corrections or additions I need to make?

It seems to me that the most economical way with the most options would be to buy the universal Lee die and the NOE plugs for each diameter I need. Input?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCoatedBoolits View Post
    Based on my reading this is what I think I have learned. There are dies that flare the case neck, dies that expand & flare the case neck and dies that expand & flare with a step.

Flaring Only:

RCBS Neck Expander Die (their universal version which you can buy different sized plugs for)

Lyman M Dies

These are just the ones that I am aware of. Any corrections or additions I need to make?

It seems to me that the most economical way with the most options would be to buy the universal Lee die and the NOE plugs for each diameter I need. Input?
    You are on the right track , the only flaw in your logic is in the future you will possibly want more lee die bodies so you can leave them set up with NOE expander in them .

I have used all of these methods at one time or another, and now only use the noe expander plugs. I like the idea of knowing exactly how much neck tension I am applying. I used to use lyman m dies, but I measured my 45 colt die and it was only .448”. Like toallmy I have numerous universal expander dies set up for each caliber. I also have a drawer full of noe expander plugs. I usually buy several for each caliber.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Master
    GONRA sez sometimes you just CANNOT Scientifically Quantify this Gun Stuff. If it verks Just Do It and keep on shootin'! Happi New Year!

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by CandyCoatedBoolits View Post

Flaring Only:

Lyman M Dies

All Lee pistol dies are Expand and Flare without a step, PLUS powder through and activate the powder measure drop.
    Size/Prime a few cases when starting off with a progressive and put them aside. You can plug them back into the process when a bad/odd case screws up in the priming station and continue loading.

Boolit Grand Master

You nailed it . I've been doing it since 1967 and the Lee Universal Case Expanding Die with NOE Expander Plugs are the best and least expensive way to neck expand for cast boolits .

The expander that comes with factory dies will work for J-words but for cast the Lee/NOE setup is top dog . And the NOE plugs come in just about every size you would need . I Like Them !
    Took me many years to find all this out but you have an advantage of internet loading knowledge !
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Master
    The "one solution" that handles all expander/flair problems; Lyman M Dies. The M does all that needs to be done, does it well and, unlike ball expanders, it tends to reduce case neck tilt/run-out. And the price is modest.

That said, for my sized bottle neck rounds to have the straightest possible necks, I prefer to use a body die followed by Lee's collet neck sizer with a slightly modified collet mouth that leaves the last several thousanths of the mouth unsized; that last bit forms all the flair needed. This die combo requires no expander or beller at all.

I had a plug machined. When I was working up a load for a 450 bushmaster bolt gun, this plug help with the OD of the bullet not shaving the powder coat when I was seating a bullet (.454 PC). This plug also dropped the run-out while seating a bullet. Bottom line, hogs hate this 450 bushmaster when I'm running a 500gr lead bullet that been powder coated. Hopefully I can figure out how to up load a few pictures of my plug.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails plug-01.jpg   plug-0.jpg  

The people's republic of Commifornia, in Somerset
    I finally got on the NOE train also. They are so cheap and amazingly effective, that I just ordered one in every size that was even close to anything that I load for. All in with shipping was only $80
    The NOE gas check expanders are amazing also.

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

So do the NOE plugs NEED the lee universal expander or can a lee expander body from the four die set be used?
    Last edited by hollywood63; 01-06-2020 at 08:17 PM.

No, they need the universal expanding die. The powder thru die won’t work.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Thanks

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by hollywood63 View Post
    So do the NOE plugs NEED the lee universal expander or can a lee expander body from the four die set be used?
    I am using NOE expander plugs in my Lee powder through expander die bodies from the 4 die sets for .38 spl, .357 mag, and 41 mag. You lose the powder-through function, but the NOE plugs work just fine in my dies. I put a $0.50 1/2" OD nylon spacer from Lowe's between the funnel adapter and expander plug to keep the plug from moving up and down in the .38 spl die body. For the other 2 calibers I just dumped the Lee expander plug out and dropped in the NOE plug, which just slides up and down in the die just like the Lee factory plugs did. You could also buy one of the die adjuster screws from lee for $1.50 (part # SB2154) to use in place of the funnel adapter over the NOE plug to lock it down.

I use the Lee universal die with the NOE plugs. On longer cases I just let them slide up and down. On shorter cases I add one of the Lee expander plugs that came with the die to hold the NOE plug low enough to reach the cases.
    I like the NOE plugs because I can get them to cover most any size bullet I load.
    I have the Lyman M type expander for the die sets I use in my 310 and Tru Line JR's. For most of them I have expanders for jacketed and another for cast. These work well with the sizes they were designed to work with.
    There are some I may have to get made for certain cast sizes. Mostly just to fill the sets.
    Leo