MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionLoad DataTitan Reloading
Snyders JerkyWidenersInline FabricationReloading Everything
Repackbox RotoMetals2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Mec

Boolit Master
    I'd pass on that, 12 ga is not worth reloading unless you all ready have a lot of components on hand. Most of the guys I shoot trap with get shells at Walmart. 28, 16 or 410 are another story.

Boolit Buddy
    I shoot casual trap at a local public range. I do not need factory shells and load 7/8 ounce.
    I break the clays and have a good time doing it. A custom load will give me extra shells from 25 pounds of shot.
    Less recoil and more shooting time.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by okietwolf View Post
    But....then again for the same money, I can get a Lee load all 2 for 12 gauge and one for 20 not have conversion parts to lose, just not the option of progressive loading. I don't shoot that many shotshells a year...it's all about preparedness.
    While it is possible to convert a Mec reloader between gauges, it is not a good idea or really cost effective to change back and forth. Each load requires adjustment of the press and usually some trial and error. If you are constantly switching between gauges, then you have to redo the adjustment every time. It is a royal pain in the butt to adjust for a load (especially with the adjustable charge bar). Once it is adjusted, it is best to leave it that way as long as possible, the adjustment will hold as long as the load is the same (same hulls, same primers, wads, shot charge, etc.) With a Mec die set costing nearly as much as a press, there is just no advantage to changing gauges often on a Mec machine.

I have loaded some on my father-in-law's lee press, and I find it better than trying to do it by hand, but not much. I generally like Lee products, but I see nothing that would induce me to buy one of those loaders. The plastic dies look and feel sketchy and the general feel of the unit just didn't sit well with me.

I currently have three presses, a Sizemaster 77 in 12 ga, a Sizemaster 82 in 20 gauge, and a 600 jr. in 410 bore. I also invested in Mec's base plate so I can just slide a dedicated machine onto the bench, knock out a few hundred shells, then slide it back under the bench until next time. I really don't shoot enough to invest in a progressive press for shotgun, but that may change with the new 5-stand building at the range.

The way to make shotshell reloading worth the time and effort is volume production and sub-gauges. The only reason I load 12 gauge is because I pick up lots of components cheap at auctions and estate sales and that makes it pay. The 410 bore is another thing altogether. Even though the 410 uses half the shot and powder of the larger gauges, the factory ammo cost is usually more than twice that of 12 ga. For example, right now, I can get 12 ga target loads for about $6/25. 410 target loads are $13/25. The last time I did the math on my reloading costs (some time ago), purchasing all components except hulls, I can reload 12 gauge for about $6/25, but that price drops to closer to $4/25 for 410 because of the price of shot and powder (410 wads cost about the same as 12/20 gauge wads)

Back to the question at hand, it looks like used complete 650s are selling on eBay auctions anywhere from $80-$120 + shipping. There was one with free shipping that sold for $220 on a buy it now.

If you are interested in reloading shotshells make an offer and see what they say. On't be afraid to walk away if they don't want to accept your offer.

As always, YMMV.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Well since this is difficult to swap, too much to fit my needs and the Lee is "junk" but thousands of people load thousands of rounds on them....what sits in the middle that's usable and decent for "S.H.T F times?
    Quando omni flunkus, moritati

I have a 12 in 3&2-3/4" 20 gauge in 2 3/4"&3" that I need to cover for. The general consensus is correct that right now it's too cheap to bother reloading it, but times change. That's why I have dies for 223/5.56 and 7.62x39mm too cheap to load but things change....

Boolit Grand Master
    Well since this is difficult to swap, too much to fit my needs and the Lee is "junk" but thousands of people load thousands of rounds on them....what sits in the middle that's usable and decent for "S.H.T F times?
    For that...a MEC 600. SHTF means you will not be shooting much. Doing box an hour is adequate.

Lots of used ones cheap as, like stated above, reloading 12 ga for busting clays is not much of a cost savings.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master
    12 and 20 ga arent worth reloading can buy cheep new shell for about the same $$

410 and 28 are the 1s to reload 1/2 the componates and 2x the $ of 12ga

Boolit Master
    While the 600 jr. mark IV is adequate for what you have, you could probably get into a Sizemaster for not much more money if you watch eBay/gun shows/estate auctions carefully. The principal advantage of the Sizemaster is that sizing collet that squeezes the case head back to size. Properly adjusted, you can hit new shell dimensions that will cycle through even the most finicky of shotgun (a definite SHTF advantage).

Another, often cheaper option is the Honady/Pacific DL-105 machines. They are on par with the 600 JR, though parts can be somewhat harder to find as they are no longer current production. Powder and shot bushings are still available (same as the Honady 366 progressive) and there is even an adapter to use Mec powder bushings available. There area a couple of complete looking machines on eBAy right now for much less than $100. I would have one still if I hadn't picked up my first Sizemaster at auction for a crazy low price. In fact, if I found a complete DL-105 in 410 bore, I would probably retire my 600 jr. The only down side is the fact that it uses the same style sizer as the 600 Jr., a steel sizing ring that has a hard time sizing the case head back to specs. For most guns that isn't a problem, but there are finicky guns out there.
    My luck is so bad that if I bought a cemetery, people would stop dying.- Rodney Dangerfield

Boolit Master
    I have a plethora of shot shell presses and a lot of them were given to me. .... and I am not even wild about loading for them. Go figure!

Now while it is true you can presently buy “cheap” shotshells for about what just the components, there are a couple of things to remember:

Times change

More specialized factory loads cost more

Some gauges are quite expensive

There is a value in being self sufficient

Shotguns are said to not be individualistic as rifles and handguns can be but that is not entirely correct. You can pattern a particular shotgun with factory shells and find a load that stands out .... or not find one. With shotshell loading you have many more choices.

I personally would not give that much money for a MEC 650 at the present due to the cheap ammo but I have two 650’s and they are a nice loader. All you need is the separate base resizer tool from MEC (also they sell inserts for different gauges for it) and you have the same capability as the MEC Grabber but in two steps. I think the OP is right about offering a lower dollar figure.

It is a buyer’s market for shot shell presses, keep that in mind. The tag on that press reads back in April, that is a strong hint.

One more tip: If someone hollers 410 shotgun run away. I have a Sizemaster in 410 and a Stevens 311 in the same. I wish I had never crossed paths with the 410 ga. as getting good crimps is the pits!

Good luck

Three44s
    Last edited by Three44s; 01-05-2020 at 11:24 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

Banned
    I have a couple of MEC presses and they are solid machines. However, they came to me used and one was free. I would be reluctant to spend more than $100 on ANY used MEC press and that number would drop considerably if it was missing parts.

You can get just about any part you need for a MEC press but generally not for free. So if it needs parts, consider that when you make your offer.

As for the single stage operation, I don't object to it as much when loading shotgun shells. I have loaded thousands (maybe tens of thousands) of 20 ga. shells on a MEC Sizemaster. Because the machine performs all of the functions without changing the machine, albeit one function at a time, it doesn't seem as cumbersome as say loading handgun rounds on a single stage press.

I also tend to find "The Load" and never reconfigure the machine after the machine is configured for that load.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by rtracy2001 View Post
    The only down side is the fact that it uses the same style sizer as the 600 Jr., a steel sizing ring that has a hard time sizing the case head back to specs. For most guns that isn't a problem, but there are finicky guns out there.
    The 600 jr or an Mec sizing ring has no trouble sizing case heads back to spec, if yours isn't its time to replace the sizing ring as they can wear out. I have yet to see any shotgun have a problem with cycling rounds loaded on a Mec.

Boolit Master
    If you’re going to load a box or so every once in a while for hunting the lee will do it just fine . Make sure you get the little container that fits on top with the powder and shot bushings . I have loaded a lot of 12 gage shells with one + you can get the 20 gage conversion to swap out . A sports car it is not but riding a bike would be better than walking .

Where will the bidding stop in the last hour? Askin for a friend...lol

Boolit Master
    Shipping on that one is over $50.
    A lot of ebay loading tools will end about 25% higher than the initial flurry of bids.

There are always exceptions- items that people overlook or forget to bid on. And then there are uninformed types and ebay addicts that bid stuff out of sight.

Where will the bidding stop in the last hour? Askin for a friend...lol
    EDG

Boolit Grand Master

The only single stage press MEC has ever made that actually works is the Sizemaster. Everything else is junk. My 600 JR. just sits in the corner now, I still use my Lee LoadAll, it's a far superior press. Life is too short. I would never pay over $75 for a used MEC.

Take my word, I lost a lot of blood, sweat, and tears fighting to make MEC work. By the time you gather up all the extra accessories you need to make them function, a Ponsness Warren is cheaper. Or just use a Lee LoadAll II, they work well enough.

Went back after three weeks and was still there.. offered 70 and got an extra 10 off because I had the 1 yr old grandson with me and he popped a smile for the cutie behind the counter

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by barnabus View Post
    lol Lee is junk
    A common comment. A huge number of people say that opinion itself is junk.

MEC has virtually owned the shotshell loader market for several decades because they are good values. Lee is not in the same league as MEC but then not everyone needs or wants to pay for a MEC.

The key to selecting anything we buy is knowing what we want it to do with it and seeking a tool that can do it. A lot of people buy things I wouldn't but my needs are different from others so I respect anyone's choice; there is a place for simple tools. Push carts and Lee tools are both useful. Seems buying a race car to impress others if all we need is a push cart is dumm. IMHO of course.

It doesn't pay to load 12 or 20 gauge, you can buy them at Walmart for the same money or less. If you're loading 410 or 28 gauge it's a different story.

And when Walmart buckles and stops selling shotshells, or the morons elect another Demoncrap and all preloaded ammo vanishes? It's not about cost, if it were how many would be reloading 55-62 grain 5.56? It's about being ready.......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast