MidSouth Shooters SupplyReloading EverythingTitan ReloadingInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionLoad DataSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2 Repackbox
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Mec

Mec

Spotted a MEC shotgun reloader with bottles and tools 175... In a thrift store. Should I go back and spend Christmas money? Grabbed a pic I'll put up later
    Quando omni flunkus, moritati

Boolit Grand Master
    Depends on the model. A 600 is worth $60
    Don Verna

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Yup, depends on model and gauge. The 410 commands a higher price regardless of model.

[attach=config]254208[/attaClick image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0504.jpg 
Views:	108 
Size:	55.4 KB 
ID:	254211ch]Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0505.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	254209Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KIMG0506.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	54.1 KB 
ID:	254210
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails KIMG0507.jpg  

Sorry pics not best but trying

Boolit Master

That is a Model 650 which is a rotary (manual) style reloader. I have owned 1 of them and it gave excellent service and was a breeze to reload shells on. The only drawback is that the 650 does not re-size the hull brass. Some auto's need the re-size feature to chamber reliably and some don't. The Grabber is the next reloader up in price and its operation is the same as the 650 but it has a different base and it has the re-size feature. That 650 is missing the re-prime system, a replacement will run you somewhere between $50.00 and $70.00. I would point out that missing part and try to bring the price down a little but it is still not a bad price. I would not be too worried about that 650 if you are using a single barrel or a pump. A auto would depend on the make and model. Very few auto's will not cycle shells reloaded on the 650 but there are a few. My Remington 11-87 will recycle shells loaded on either the 650 or the Grabber. My 2 model 870 Remingtons will cycle with about anything shoved into the chamber. My experience anyway, james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 01-04-2020 at 12:55 PM.

Boolit Master

The 600 MEC is an excellent press but it is not a progressive press, it is a single stage press. The 600 loads 1 shell at a time, the 650 and Grabber load 5 shell simultaneous. The 600 will load just as good of shell as the 650 or Grabber, just more work and less price. However, I have not seen a 600 press in excellent condition sell for less than $100.00 for some time now. james

Price seems a little high to me. I also love the MEC 600.

This is a 650

Concho, Arizona. At home in the White Mountains at last. Formerly living in Mobile Alabama.
    Quote Originally Posted by okietwolf View Post
    Spotted a MEC shotgun reloader with bottles and tools 175... In a thrift store. Should I go back and spend Christmas money? Grabbed a pic I'll put up later
    This is what you should be thinking. What are you shooting, how many shells do you shoot during the fall hunting season, or are you a trap or skeet shooter? Here's my two cents. Unless you shoot a few thousand rounds for sport clay bird shooting, or load for you and 3 or 4 other shooters also , than wait till you find a deal on a good MEC 600 that needs no extra purchase of shell resizing equipment in order to accomplish a shell that will load into any gun and function. A good used 600 should run $135-155.

Boolit Master
    They are nice loaders but be prepared to purchase the Mec sizer in the future if you load heavier loads , I would try to negotiate a bit a 25-50 discount would make it a done deal but honestly it's a good price if you have a use for it . If it was a grabber it would run you a another 100 easy .
    It looks like it has the adjustable charge bar already ....quite useful .

I was thinking about a hundy for an offer and try and get the older load manual laying beside it too. The manual is a 50th edition, but I don't remember who's...lol

But....then again for the same money, I can get a Lee load all 2 for 12 gauge and one for 20 not have conversion parts to lose, just not the option of progressive loading. I don't shoot that many shotshells a year...it's all about preparedness.

Boolit Buddy
    A loadall is like comparing a push cart to a race car!!

Boolit Master
    The Mec is a much better loader it will make good shells and last a lifetime easily , the cost of that loader is about the same as 4 sacks of shot .
    I have and have used a lee load all since the early 80s but it is not even close to a Mec .

Before purchasing a shot shell press, check into pricing of components in your area. I have MECs and I have a Littleton shot maker.
    I can occasionally buy Winchester or Remington trap load for less than the cost of components. IF Walmart keeps selling shot shells, the small cases are often right at my cost of components.

Boolit Master

Good advice that debosman is giving you. Most of the guys and gals shooting trap and skeet at our club on Thursday night buy shells now instead of reloading them. We have a 55 gallon drum that stays full of once fired hulls and the club no longer tries to sell them because no one seems to want them. 90% of them hits the trash can eventually. My Grabber is about 30 plus years old now or I probably would not be buying a machine and components now. james

That's why I said I might just grab a couple cheap Lee's. About the same money, no extra parts to lose to convert sizes and they size on the press. It's all about being prepared in my book. I don't shoot shot that often, but would like to be able if things dry up yet again.

Boolit Buddy
    The Mec 650 does resize but it needs done in a separate step. From the pics the resizer tube isn't present but its fairly cheap to purchase, its the same system as the resizer on the 600 jr. The resizer is screwed into the press where the decapping rod is. I own 3 650's but I do all my resizing on the old Mec case conditioner. Even with 2 Mec 9000's I still use the 650's as I find them just as fast as the 9000 since I box my shells its either box as they come off the 650 or box 500 after I'm done cranking them out on the 9000.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by jaguarxk120 View Post
    A loadall is like comparing a push cart to a race car!!
    lol Lee is junk

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast