Load DataInline FabricationRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
WidenersTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackbox
Lee Precision

Thread: fireforming 7TCU with Titegroup

Boolit Buddy

fireforming 7TCU with Titegroup

I have been using Unique to fireform my 7TCU, but my supply is running low. I've loaded about a zillion 9mm from a 4lb jug of Titegroup and still have a bunch of that. Would 4-5gr of Titegroup under the Lee 130 give me enough gas to fireform the TCU? It is such a dense powder comparatively, that I would think that a bit of dacron might also be required. Or, should I just crack open the wallet and get more Unique?

Boolit Master
    The Tightgroup will work but I do have to question why you feel the need to go through a separate fireforming step in the first place. Between my brother and I we have fired thousands of 7TCU cartridges in IHMSA competition and with virgin brass we just load the cases with our normal competition load and fireform at a match. Accuracy does not suffer at all because we have posted many perfect scores doing it this way, even on half scale targets, and none of the cases failed. Why waste components?

Boolit Master
    Joebaja are you forming 7mm TCU from 223?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    There is no need to use a separate fireforming load with the 7TCU.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Buddy
    @cwtebay: I am forming it from range pickup 223. Running it through the 7TCU full length sizer then fireforming. @highstandard40: you raise a good point about just loading and shooting. I never paid really close attention to accuracy when fireforming before, but even minimal effort yielded pretty good results. Maybe that is the way to go, just load them up and go.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	50.4 KB 
ID:	254232

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	49.8 KB 
ID:	254233

My favorite was 2015BR, but any powder in the 3031, 4198 area. For fireforming, pay attention to getting a crush fit into the lands using a start level load to keep the case from collapsing into the chamber. Thereafter, as hot as you deem appropriate.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    The Tightgroup will work but I do have to question why you feel the need to go through a separate fireforming step in the first place. Between my brother and I we have fired thousands of 7TCU cartridges in IHMSA competition and with virgin brass we just load the cases with our normal competition load and fireform at a match. Accuracy does not suffer at all because we have posted many perfect scores doing it this way, even on half scale targets, and none of the cases failed. Why waste components?
    Exactly.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by high standard 40 View Post
    Same here

Boolit Grand Master
    I always just ran thru the size die and loaded with my normal loads

Boolit Master

What rockrat said...dale

Add another to just size , load and shoot . All is good commerical or Mil spec .

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Am I wrong, but it seems to me like years ago some simply shot a new .223 right out of the 7TCU and it was fire formed. I fire formed several by necking up and loading a long 7mm bullet with a starting load of 4895, not a fast pistol powder. Then did a few just firing the .223 right out the 7TCU contender. Both worked.