Load DataRotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading Everything
MidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyTitan ReloadingRepackbox
Inline Fabrication Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: brownells

Boolit Master

brownells

just placed a order. requested a new catalog. mine is #70, was told that the current catalog is #72 and it will cost $10.00. i've been a customer for over 40 years; and every year around august i recieved a new catalog in the mail at no charge. on the average order the cost of a catalog was probably paid for. when i was in the "business" i spent in excess of $1500 per year. yes i did order a new catalog. probably the last; and i will do my best to order elswhere when possible. brownells prices are higher on many items that can be bought elswhere, but they have everything in one place. all that being said, i feel better!

Boolit Master

I usually order when they have a 10% off and free shippin, or $10 off 100, $20 off 200, etc. . I was an edge member for a year. Dropped that and just wait until they have discounts and free shipping. Still order from Midway, Natchez, Grafs,etc when prices are good.

Boolit Master

I have been a Brownells customer since the late 60's. Recently I order a Frankford set of calipers and a recoil pad and sent them the usual USPSMO and a mail-order form to pay for it. The calipers came in with the lense cover on the dial indicator broken. The display blister packaging of clear thin plastic was a tight fit over the calipers and it fit against lense cover. That is a recipe for broken lense covers when shipping and or with careless handling. I first contacted Brownells to request a replacement lense and the guy on the phone told me they did not have replacement lenses but they could send me a replacement set of calipers after I sent the original set back to them. He would provide a document by email to authorize the return. After I told him I ordered by USPSMO he got a little touchy. He said they were not really set up to handle returns on anything but credit cards. He would however refund money when he got the calipers back and then 4 to 6 later He could send me a check for the full amount of the order. Then I could order a new set of calipers which would take another 2 to 4 weeks. I then called FrankFord Arsenal to see if they maybe had replacement lenses and would they send me one(by email--they have no phone number for direct contact). Well, it seems they farm out their customer service to someone else to handle. That company acknowledged the receipt of the email, gave me a "complaint" number and said I would be contacted shortly. That was 9 days ago and nothing back so far. I think that after 50 plus years of doing business with Brownells, I am about done. Also I have bought my last piece of equipment from Frankford also. I had bought a few pieces of their equipment lately but no more. Sorry for the long post but I wanted to document it exactly as it happened for any others that might have to go through this. I may give Frankford a few more days since it is in the busy time of the year for most companies selling through the mail.

Boolit Master

Used to buy from Brownell's but now get cheaper prices and better service from Midway USA.

Banned
    Things change. At one time, a McMaster-Carr catalog was like gold, everybody wanted one. I have 2 and never use them, I go online. Same with MSC, Brownells, etc.

Ask for one, pay - wait for one in the mail (because they want your business), no pay.

Now I lay me down to sleep
    A gun beside me is what I keep
    If I awake, and you're inside
    The coroner's van is your next ride

Yup..they aren't what they used to be. They've kind of become a last resort for me

Boolit Master
    I don't want to get a beating & hate to say it but your old and those ways are inefficient! Catalogs cost way too much to print & ship, USPSMO & checks need people on the other end to process and bring to a bank or clearing house all this costs extra, as well as having to write & mail you a refund. The whole catalog is online as well as customer service, credit cards, PayPal other ePay type are quick for payment & returns and cost little to process. Don't want to use a credit card or debit card? Purchase a rechargeable Visa gift card or give your kids or grand kids your order and the cash for them to order the items. Check your spam folder for your missing reply as well. I don't agree with some of the stuff like no phone number to call customer support but it's the way things have gone & soon they will all be like that.

Boolit Master

I just ordered and received a S&W Model 25 from Brownells and couldn’t be happier. Their prices are competitive on many things (they had the best price on this pistol,) and I’ve never had an issue with their customer service. As mentioned above, catalogs are expensive to produce & maintain. I don’t blame them one bit for charging for one, especially when you can go online and easily find what you’re looking for and if it’s in stock. Just my $0.02. Ed

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by largom View Post
    Used to buy from Brownell's but now get cheaper prices and better service from Midway USA.
    They built that new building in Grinnell Iowa and have gone there quit a few times in the past. I've always gotten good service from them and from Midway.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    I just ordered and received a S&W Model 25 from Brownells and couldn’t be happier. Their prices are competitive on many things (they had the best price on this pistol,) and I’ve never had an issue with their customer service. As mentioned above, catalogs are expensive to produce & maintain. I don’t blame them one bit for charging for one, especially when you can go online and easily find what you’re looking for and if it’s in stock. Just my $0.02. Ed
    Their prices are full retail but they have a selection that you wouldn't believe. The always stock the new models faster than any other retail outlet can get them.

Banned

I can and do buy most parts/accessories from Amazon. Much better prices and free shipping on most items!

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Their prices are full retail but they have a selection that you wouldn't believe. The always stock the new models faster than any other retail outlet can get them.
    Hi,
    I don't believe they always charge full retail. Here's an example of an item I was looking to buy.

Lee Precision Pistol Carbide Factory Crimp Die - .45 Colt, Part #90865

Vendor Price
    Amazon $24.91
    Brownells $17.39
    FS Reloading $18.29
    Lee Precision $22.98
    Midway USA $16.99

Yes, Amazon has "free" shipping (if you have Prime,) but it's not always the best deal. The others charge shipping, but Brownells and Midway often have free shipping if you hit a minimum (usually around $50.) So if you wait to combine orders, you also get your shipping free. I'm not try to sell anyone on Brownells, just pointing out they are competitive.
    Ed

Boolit Master
    "I don't want to get a beating & hate to say it but your old and those ways are inefficient! Catalogs cost way too much to print & ship, USPSMO & checks need people on the other end to process and bring to a bank or clearing house all this costs extra, as well as having to write & mail you a refund. The whole catalog is online as well as customer service, credit cards, PayPal other ePay type are quick for payment & returns and cost little to process. Don't want to use a credit card or debit card? Purchase a rechargeable Visa gift card or give your kids or grand kids your order and the cash for them to order the items. Check your spam folder for your missing reply as well. I don't agree with some of the stuff like no phone number to call customer support but it's the way things have gone & soon they will all be like that. "

You are correct in that many businesses are setting things up to where money orders, checks etc are not accepted. Electronic methods are cheaper & faster for sure.

HOWEVER,, it's just another way the government can track us. Think Taxing. They want to tax & track every nickle used by everyone. They want cash, barter, or any other source of money to go away,, so they can have more control. Now,, I'm not wearing a tinfoil hat,, but it is a fact. Banks report large sums of money transfers to the IRS already. By eliminating cash,, they can track all of it.

Remember when you could order stuff from out of state & not pay sales tax? No longer!
    Go try & buy a new car with cash & watch the people freak out. (I have a friend who bought a 2019 F100 4x4 this way.)

Plastic or electronic transfers of money are easily tracked & can alert the powers that be that you may doing bad stuff. They track illegal laundering of money by the criminals.

Now,, think about this.
    Buy stuff from a gun business. The government decides to ban a type of firearm. You are mandated to turn in your firearm. You don't. They have "suspicions" you have such a firearm. They can track your purchases of anything associated with that forbidden firearm.

Don't think it can or will happen? It can VERY easily.
    My local FFL got audited. He's a small dealer,, and I use him for all my out of state purchase transfers. The agents saw my name enough to inquire about me to him. Then,, I got a polite call from a friend in the ATF,, as these agents were "inquiring" about me. When it was pointed out that 99% of my firearms were OM Ruger SA handguns,, and I collect,, plus I own a gun range,, the agents said; "Oh,,, we were just checking." Want to bet that they looked at my bank info???

Sadly,, we individuals are almost powerless to stop it. All we can do is do business with places that do accept checks, money orders, or cash. If a salesman says they need a form of electronic payment, politely ask for their supervisor, and explain how you do not have a credit card, (none of their business if you have one or not,) and and wish to do business. By making companies do business that way,, it can fight against the eventual phasing out of cash.

Back door methods of getting us under control.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    I much prefer the online catalog. It tells you right on the item description if the item is in stock or not.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

In this thread, people are suddenly shocked when printing massive catalogs of color, high definition photos costs money.

In this thread, people are suddenly shocked when using a postal money order, which has to change hands at least five times from its creation to being cashed, and is easier to track than electronic purchases, creates a wildly inconvenient process to refund in 2020.
    MC-130J Driver
    Former T-6A Texan II Driver
    FAIP Mafia
    Hook 'em all

Boolit Master

until they build a better website, i still want the paper catalog. simply i can find, and see what they have in the big book. not always easy to find items on their website. catalogs are definately expensive to print, but in most cases im sure brownells catalogs sell enough item to make them overall profitable.

Boolit Buddy
    II would be surprised if Brownells was not able to wright off the cost of the catalogs as a business expense .I used to love getting those big hardback Cabela's catalogs in the mail,and the big thick Midway catalogs,and they were sent free.Catalogs are a tool to sell products,and when the price of the catalog is not absorbed by profit of folks ordering from them it is no longer a wise business decision to print them.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Hi,
    I don't believe they always charge full retail. Here's an example of an item I was looking to buy.

Lee Precision Pistol Carbide Factory Crimp Die - .45 Colt, Part #90865

Vendor Price
    Amazon $24.91
    Brownells $17.39
    FS Reloading $18.29
    Lee Precision $22.98
    Midway USA $16.99

Yes, Amazon has "free" shipping (if you have Prime,) but it's not always the best deal. The others charge shipping, but Brownells and Midway often have free shipping if you hit a minimum (usually around $50.) So if you wait to combine orders, you also get your shipping free. I'm not try to sell anyone on Brownells, just pointing out they are competitive.
    Ed
    Let me clarify.....From what I have been able to see and mind you I didn't pick up every single firearm in the place the prices of what I looked at were full retail. Note this was after they boilt and opened up the new store just off interstate 80. Sorry for the lack of clarification as I didn't think someone would challenge me on the price of the cheap shelf items.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    Let me clarify.....From what I have been able to see and mind you I didn't pick up every single firearm in the place the prices of what I looked at were full retail. Note this was after they boilt and opened up the new store just off interstate 80. Sorry for the lack of clarification as I didn't think someone would challenge me on the price of the cheap shelf items.
    Hi 6bg6ga,
    Didn't mean to come off like I was challenging you, so no offense intended. I didn't understand you were talking about firearms. In the case of my S&W M25, it just happened that Brownells online was the best price after the costs and fees. I'd imagine that in their brick & mortar store, the prices would definitely be different. OP, sorry for the thread drift.
    Regards,
    Ed

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast