Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading EverythingLee Precision
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2RepackboxLoad Data
Inline Fabrication Wideners

Thread: Looking for a good cast 7mm boolit and load data for hunting.

Boolit Master

Looking for a good cast 7mm boolit and load data for hunting.

I recently came up with a minty 7x57 Rem rolling block. It has a pristine bore and shoots great with jacketed bullets. I was wondering if someone who has actually hunted with a 7mm cast bullet, could give me some data to start with, and pics of a flat nosed boolit. I am also considering PC them. All feedback appreciated.

Boolit Master

koger,
    I also have a RRB 7x57 model #5.....those rifles were originally designed for the 175 Gr RN J-bullet. The throat is very long on these rifles.
    I have found that the longer/heavier cast bullets work best in the RRB #5. I shoot a 170Gr RN cast keeping it just under 2000 fps.
    My standard of accuracy is consistently hitting a 1 gallon paint or gas can at 75 - 100 yds., with the original sights.

good luck - have fun
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Last year I got an unusually large doe with the Lee 135 gr. RFGC (that mold came from Midsouth) at about about 75 yards. Little hole in, big hole out with a big blood trail for the 40 yards she lasted. MV was 1700 fps out of my 7mm TCU carbine. I usually hunt with a muzzleloader but decided to test my theory that that particular boolit is an excellent deer boolit. I was satisfied with the result. That boolit in my carbine is only slightly less accurate than the standard Lee RNGC in my carbine which is sub-MOA at 100 yards when I have a good day at the range.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by quilbilly View Post
    Last year I got an unusually large doe with the Lee 135 gr. RFGC (that mold came from Midsouth) at about about 75 yards. Little hole in, big hole out with a big blood trail for the 40 yards she lasted. MV was 1700 fps out of my 7mm TCU carbine. I usually hunt with a muzzleloader but decided to test my theory that that particular boolit is an excellent deer boolit. I was satisfied with the result. That boolit in my carbine is only slightly less accurate than the standard Lee RNGC in my carbine which is sub-MOA at 100 yards when I have a good day at the range.
    Is that the "soup can"? I shoot a BUNCH of those for practice.

My deer load for 7x57 is the old Lyman 287308, which mine is factory hollow pointed. Bullets weigh 166 grains checked and lubed. I cast them with that standard 50/50 wheel weights to pure with 2% tin added. Worked well on a doe last year, didn't get a shot with it this year.

I recently acquired one of the older RCBS 168 grain molds that was better for the military barrels and has more of a meplat than the current RCBS offering. This is the bullet Von Gruff has used with great success on game. I plan on casting some soon and giving them a try. When I use it in deer, I'll use the BruceB soft point method to make my hunting bullets.

NOE 150 Hunter is a shooter with a nice meplat
    Jesus said ( Come unto me, all ye that labor and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest ) Matt. 11:28

Moderator Emeritus
    Try this: https://noebulletmolds.com/site/?pro...=288-135-fn-f1 It shoots great for me in a 7-30 Waters.

There are several cavity choices and either brass or aluminum for the mold body.