RotoMetals2RepackboxReloading EverythingWideners
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: shooting at a canted angle

Boolit Master
    Seems to me that there are lots of different ways to shoot. Whatever you are taught first and practice the most is likely what you're going to prefer because you're better doing it, if for no other reason than that's what you're used to. You won't be as proficient in other techniques until as much time and effort is put in.

I see right handed shooters who are left eye dominant who have to do something to get a good sight picture. Whether it's canting the gun, turning the head, altering the grip, bending the wrist, or some combination, it isn't what the rest of us would call natural, but they still have to do it.

Even if, among given options, one is better than the others, is it better than the rest in all circumstances? I would bet not. Can the preferred style or technique always be used? I would bet not.

Maybe having some flexibility and options would be good.

Boolit Master
    S and W armorer used to fire a complainer's wheelgun upside down pulling the trigger one handed with his little finger while sighting the target looking under the gun down the barrel.
    He would shoot a tight group at seven yards and hand it back to the complainer.
    "Theres's nothing the matter with those sights."

Boolit Master
    My Mom used to shoot a .22 rifle right handed while closing right eye and sighting with the left.She was an excellent shot, but she shot a pistol right handed with both eyes open.
    Also a good shot.
    She learned as a child.

Moderator Emeritus / Trusted loob groove dealer

Somers, Montana, a quaint little drinking village,with a severe hunting and fishing problem.
    When just standing and shooting it makes no sense to cant a handgun or rifle. I have done both shooting around barricades, though.
    The solid soft lead bullet is undoubtably the best and most satisfactory expanding bullet that has ever been designed. It invariably mushrooms perfectly, and never breaks up. With the metal base that is essential for velocities of 2000 f.s. and upwards to protect the naked base, these metal-based soft lead bullets are splendid.
    John Taylor - "African Rifles and Cartridges"

Forget everything you know about loading jacketed bullets. This is a whole new ball game!

Boolit Master
    Setting aside the mechanical and anatomic issues of the hold, I think I can understand one of the theoretical arguments for a vertical hold when the sights are mounted vertically: the force vector of gravity will affect bullet drop only directly down, needing only elevation adjustments. Canted, the shot will fall off the sights in the same direction of the cant. Additionally, bullet drop will never bring the POI back to POA at greater range.

I think sight adjustment and an understanding of bullet flight path behavior with the gun canted can compensate for the above when the sights are mounted vertically (above bore axis when the gun is oriented vertically), but maybe it'd be better to mount the sights canted to compensate (still above the bore axis for aiming/shooting)?

Regardless, in some applications the issue of cant may be minor. I shoot pistol at 6" by 11" maximum scoring zones at under thirty yards in a sport where speed is important. If loss of precision aiming and less than ideal mechanics still get me a fast shot in the A zone of the target, I'll cant the gun and not worry about form until I shoot a different discipline like Bullseye.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by M-Tecs View Post
    Reverse cant (palm up) free pistol shooter http://toz35.blogspot.com/2009/10/me...nd-minder.html

and yes bullseye shooters have using a slight cant for a very long time. The operative word is slight. A 5 or even a 10 degree cant is far cry from 45 degrees the OP is talking about.
    Yep. I stopped shooting Bullseye decades ago. With the slight cant I had, I only adjusted elevation going from 25 to 50 yards. If I had known I had to adjust windage as well I might have got up to high Master. LOL
    Don Verna

Moderator Emeritus

My cant is much closer to 22.5 degrees than 45. Blanket statements and solutions rarely work for all.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Master

Quick Load Program allows for cant data to be calculated into P.O.I. at locations the users wishes.

Good-luck...BCB

Boolit Buddy

I'm got my Gat and I gotta bussa cap in some Gangsta, ****'s already gone down before anyone has a change to see how I hold my piece.... sights is for little kids...
    -Mike

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12