Inline FabricationLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Snyders JerkyMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackbox
Titan Reloading Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wood for Melting Scrap Lead

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska

Wood for Melting Scrap Lead

Propane is not cheap where I am, but I have plenty of wood. I heat with wood. I am wondering about building one of these rocket type stoves a little big to hold a 12 inch dutch oven, for melting range scrap. Afterwards, I would pour the lead into ingots.

Maybe there’s an easier way. With some bricks or cement blacks, if they can tale the heat. Any experience and advice appreciated. Thanks.

Boolit Grand Master

An easy way is a simple tripod to hang the pot from and a wind break around the fire pot. I have used oak and other hard woods, along with coal. a grate to get the fire up off the ground. I used concrete blocks 2 high and the grate then another row with the pot inside them and the fire. Build the fire on the grate with the pot in is and use a shop vac for a blower. This really ups the heat level and speeds up melting. When up close to temp shut the vac off and remove.

I had a pot made that would hold 350lbs and could do 4 pots a day like this. I mostly used stoker coal as it was easier to add around the pot.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    I am wondering about building one of these rocket type stoves a little big to hold a 12 inch dutch oven, for melting range scrap. .
    I have been contemplating the same thing, just two question remain for me. Where to put it and where to find enough scrap lead to make it worth while. There are tons of youtube videos to watch. All different sizes and configurations that all it takes is imagination.

Boolit Master
    I'd like to know where you guys find THAT much range scrap. What little I manage to salvage is easily processed in a cast iron skillet on an electric hotplate.

Boolit Grand Master

At the time I was doing this a friend had a indoor range in his shop and I got a few tons to get it out of his way.

Boolit Master

the rocket stove will get way too hot. it can be done but you will have very little control over the heat.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I process large batches (ww, sailboat keel, etc) with wood. Yes to the shop vac but put a metal extension tube on it or it will melt. I have not found a brick that will take the heat and weight of a large melt. I have a ton of wood and will just build a small brush pile around my melter.

If you use much propane, and there is a place nearby that sells it from the big outside storage tanks-

Get your own 10 gallon tank, take it in and get it filled, it's way cheaper than those small tanks in the rack they sell/swap everywhere.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    when I first started I used wood in a potbelly stove in my shop. later when I got my own house it had a coal furnace. I would get the furnace going and set the cast iron pot in right on the coal fire.

I smelt with fire and you might get some ideas from my experiences. http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ting-with-fire

It works very well compared to having a pot hanging over an open fire.

Boolit Buddy
    What I have done a few times is to use a fire pit at one of the camping grounds on state recreational areas. Do it in the fall and you'll have the place to yourself and won't be bothering anyone. For fuel, I saw up old pallets ( free) with a skill saw. See if you can find the ones made of oak.

Boolit Buddy

I cut the top off of a empty 30 pound R134 freon tank. Used that to track a circle on the top of a 35 gallon drum. Cut the top out of the drum for the tank and then another hole for a 3" pipe for the chimney. Then cut a door into the side of the barrel as the stove door to load the wood. The R134 tank is recessed into the barrel
    with only about 1" sticking up above the top of the barrel this puts the pot down into the stove for heating all around the pot. I can't figure out the posting pics to this thread but if you like I can text you some just shot me a PM. The 30 pound R134 tank will hold 100 pounds filled up to about 3/4 full.

This requires the use of a torch or cut off tool and a mig welder. The barrels and tanks can be scrounged from most auto repair shops. Any store that fills helium balloons with the small red disposable tanks will give them to you when empty.

Boolit Master
    The hottest burning firewood I know of is osage orange. Otherwise known as hedge.

Boolit Grand Master
    Also known as Bois d' arc

The reason I did my setup the way I did was because I had everything already and I didn't have any money to invest. The sunken pot in a barrel would be great if a person had access to barrels and a welder.

Banned

Wood fires are all I use. I have two strong steel bars that are placed on top of a couple of cement blocks on either end to pot the big cast iron dutch oven I use and then just build a fire underneath it. I live on 18 acres of woods, nearest neighbors are more than half a mile away. Takes a while to melt a batch down, but the fuel is free and unlimited. I usually put some wax or used motor oil in the pot with the range scrap which will ignite when things get hot enough and that helps to melt it and gives some flux too.

Boolit Buddy
    I used to use a 55 gallon barrel that was stood up to melt large batches of lead. There was a 6 inch hole at the bottom and a larger hole on top. The top had a steel heavy duty grill on it. Essentially it was a huge rocket stove. I would load it up with as much wood as I could and it would burn very very hot.

Boolit Master
    I have melted range scrap using wood and a type of rocket stove made with stacked brick pavers. It gets very hot, very fast. I use a 12" cast iron dutch oven with it.
    You have the right to force me to pay for the feeding, housing, clothing, education, and medical treatment of yourself and your children when I have THE RIGHT TO FORCE YOU TO PICK MY COTTON!

Section 1 13th Amendment to the Constitution:
    "Neither slavery nor involuntary servitude, except as punishment for a crime whereof the party shall have been duly convicted, shall exist within the United States, or any place subject to their jurisdiction."

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Quote Originally Posted by Winger Ed. View Post
    If you use much propane, and there is a place nearby that sells it from the big outside storage tanks-

Get your own 10 gallon tank, take it in and get it filled, it's way cheaper than those small tanks in the rack they sell/swap everywhere.
    That’s the only way I can afford to do it. Any of the smaller types containers would be way too expensive. I wonder if a pressure stove that would run on unleaded would be more economical. I’ll probably try wood the next time I have a big quantity to melt. Otherwise, it’s just too easy to turn on the propane to start and off when you are done.

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    TI wonder if a pressure stove that would run on unleaded would be more economical. .
    Guys talk about using them, but you'll need some sort of frame over it to take much more weight than cooking pots & pans.

A heavy grate between cinder blocks with the stove under it should work.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast