Load DataRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingRepackbox
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingLee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Melting Brass

Boolit Buddy
    I could use a couple of boxes of 22lr cases for swaging. Let me know if you decide to sell .22lr brass.
    Last edited by rcslotcar; 01-17-2020 at 11:40 PM.

Boolit Mold
    Any opinions on contaminating your forge smelting brass in it?

Boolit Grand Master
    out of here, wandering somewhere in the SW.
    Melting and casting brass it TOTALLY different and much harder than our favorite Pb! I have done it in the past. You need a high temp gas-fired kiln style furnace that can get to and maintain proper pouring temps. Graphite or other hi-temp crucibles are used in the furnace. You can even use broken glass as a flux...anything that melts at that high temp that will keep O2 away from the molten brass....or you burn off the Zn/Cu and other critical elements in the melt.

Brass founding is not for the weak of heart~! The molds are generally the casting sand type and use the cope and drag method. Do a LOT of research on line before diving in and spending a ton of money on equipment. There are those that use charcoal and a vacuum cleaner as a blower, but those are kinda mickey-mouse set-ups for toying around. The equipment I used cost in the thousands of dollars and used enough nat gas in one session to heat a large 2 story home! But it REALLY did the job!!!!!!!!

I got my scrap brass from old gas regulators, tubing and plumbing fittings, and water plumbing stuff my dad saved for me.

Good luck!

banger

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12