Load DataRepackboxLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Inline FabricationWidenersTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Python returns

Boolit Buddy
    My LGS has one on of the new Pythons on the shelf and I got to handle it today (sadly it’s just for display, not for sale).

I Dry fired it and the action is waaaay more smooth than my 6” 1984 vintage Python.

Double action was slick as greased glass and the single action pull broke at about (what I’d estimate) was 2.5 pounds.

It’s a very attractive revolver that from a distance “favors” the Python but once you get your hands on it you’ll see/know the difference.

In my estimation (based on a sample of one) its a little beefier than the Pythons of old (which isn’t a bad thing).

The Cylinder, frame and grips all felt heftier but I wouldn’t swear on a bible that they were.

My overall impression was very favorable, in fact so favorable that I ordered one (store owner said he had 15 on order and 8 were spoken for).

I asked them to get me one with a 4.25” barrel but I may go back and change that to a 6 inch.

Boolit Master
    I plan on buying a 6 inch model as soon as the novelty price wears off.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Master

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Silvercreek Farmer View Post

The legendary reliability of the Colt Revolver on display?
    Seriously, I am not familiar with the Colt lockwork but how does a hand work sometimes and not other? I would think if the hand was broken it would stop working, period. Not periodically.

Boolit Grand Master
    Spring not forcing hand forward to engage sprocket?
    Colt, the world’s right arm.
    You can buy better, but you can’t pay more.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Probably some gunk left in the action is binding the hand. Still, does not bode well.

To be true to the name Colt should be putting some extra man-hours into making sure each and every one is as perfect as can be. If not they will be a bust.

But, for those who have nice older ones, if the new ones do go bust the values climb a bit more

Boolit Buddy
    If Colt would offer a blued version I would be tempted.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by marek313 View Post
    I thought that what separated original Pythons from other DA/SA revolvers was the hand fitting of parts when it was put together.
    Did you read the part of the review about inconsistent triggers due to hand fitting?

A nominal amount of hand-fitting is expected, but all that expert, old-school “hand fitting” people seem to think was magic was due to the sloppy manufacturing tolerances of the day. That leads to inconsistency and expensive guns that require a lot of specialized, skilled labor.

$1,500 MSRP is likely what they figured the price ceiling would be and designed a facsimile of the original they could build for that price and make money.

IDK much about Python price history, but I did the math once for the original S&W .357 magnum. Introduced in 1935, it sold for $60.

Adjusting not only for inflation, but the increased cost of skilled labor, which has gone up WAY faster than inflation, plus staggering compliance costs they didn’t have in 1935, the original magnum, built in the same way as it was in 1935, would carry a price tag of around $3,000 today.

My guess is that’s about what a Python would cost today, made to 1955 specs and using the methods of that era.

Now, who’d run out and pay that to relive “the good ol days?” Very few, and most of the same group who now P&M about how they “don’t build em like they used to” would P&M about how expensive they are and how greedy the manufacturers must be.

Are there problems with today’s guns? Hell yes! But on the whole, manufacturers do a pretty decent job of finding new ways to produce guns whose basic mechanisms were designed over 100 years and keep them at a reasonable price point, as they face massively-higher production costs.

Doubly so when you consider the market for high-end DA revolvers is a tiny fraction of what it was when guns like the Python were in their heyday

All that said, I couldn’t care less about the Python, unless I see substantial evidence it’s on a par with a Korth or Manurhin.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Yeah I’ll wait till the hype is over and then order a 6 inch one probably. By that time I’m sure they will fix the problems they’re currently having with them. I just watched two YouTube videos that the cylinders are not turning and light primer strikes. Not good with a $1500 suggested retail python that supposed to be the Cadillac of revolvers. I don’t remember ever hearing any issues with the old pythons.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-17-2020 at 01:01 PM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    These guys seem impressed with it.

These guys aren't https://youtu.be/y0dJPxXmhtc

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by NyFirefighter357 View Post
    Someone at Colt is getting fired...

To have your biggest and most celebrated gun release in decades fail on a Hickock45 review video? Not good. He was impressed with it until it failed to rotate the cylinder. Complete disaster for Colt.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I agree. Does not bode well for Colt.

Hickock45 isn’t the only one having issues on YouTube with it with the cylinder not moving there’s a couple videos of some other guys too. I counted at least four when I just looked. How embarrassing for colt. I never saw a $359 king cobra or $498 anaconda ever do this back in the 90s. I’m happy Colt came back out with them but I am not impressed. They should’ve just went off the original design and punch some out. That way they would have been no issues with a proven, flawless design. Just like when they decided to do limited runs in the custom shop for the Andaconda and I believe it also was the king cobra... And then they charge $1300/$1500 for the same pistols they were selling for $500 and under three years prior. After watching these videos and losing all my excitement I highly doubt I’m going to buy one unless they dropped under 1000 bucks which isn’t gonna happen. If they got closer to the $799 price range I probably still would procrastinate... but in time would Eventually cave when there was a sale and the Colt followers hype was over. I’m just not impressed. But if they came back out with an anaconda in 45 colt and did not ask four times of what they originally were selling them for 15 years ago I probably would add one to my collection. I’ll eventually wait run into an old king cobra that someone doesn’t know what they have and add it to my collection. Imo probably a better pistol anyways... it’s Obviously more reliable.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-19-2020 at 12:11 PM.

My local shop had a 6" stainless version in for $1599, they had it up for hours before it was gone. Their money they can spend it how they want. I'll take a used Ruger that someone traded off and rarely shot and send it off for custom work before I'll plop $1500+ down on a questionable factory revolver whos name is on but they don't make. It may not be as pretty but I really only care how it shoots and how it holds up over time.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    My local shop had a 6" stainless version in for $1599, they had it up for hours before it was gone. Their money they can spend it how they want. I'll take a used Ruger that someone traded off and rarely shot and send it off for custom work before I'll plop $1500+ down on a questionable factory revolver whos name is on but they don't make. It may not be as pretty but I really only care how it shoots and how it holds up over time.
    I will end up probably doing the same. I’ve been eyeing up the Ruger super Blackhawk Bisley hunter for a while.

Boolit Master

seems colt has already recalled a pile of these.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by lefty o View Post
    seems colt has already recalled a pile of these.
    I hope they can isolate the problem and fix it as I would like to buy both models.
    East Tennessee

I read that Colt "quietly" recalled 100 Pythons from one distributor alone.

Boolit Master

colt will even lie to everybody about it. https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...e-colt-python/

Boolit Grand Master

What the? So the MSRP was $1500. Buds Gun Shop was asking $2000 for these.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast