Inline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Snyders JerkyWidenersReloading EverythingRepackbox
Lee Precision Load Data
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Python returns

Banned
    From this article:

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/01/col...#axzz6A26uZ7RB

"....Minimizing the amount of parts in the trigger action has simplified the mechanism, elevating its reliability and allowing for more straightforward maintenance. ....."

Which makes me think this may be a new action.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    From this article:

https://www.ammoland.com/2020/01/col...#axzz6A26uZ7RB

"....Minimizing the amount of parts in the trigger action has simplified the mechanism, elevating its reliability and allowing for more straightforward maintenance. ....."

Which makes me think this may be a new action.
    Well, you can compare and contrast the pictures of the old action and the new action and they just did away with some pins. It's the same basic action, just refined, from what I can see.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Banned
    But is that really a picture of the current (2020) model of the Python?

Not trying to be difficult here, just trying to determine if that picture represents the current model.

Banned
    I found this video, in which a Colt representative states the gun still uses a leaf spring action. So maybe that is a picture of the current Python action.

2:31 into the video:

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...AFA9&FORM=VIRE

I had a 4" satin nickel one back in the day. Nice enough gun but I preferred the Smith's. I have been very pleased with my GP100 match Champion especially its da pull. I know that may be blasphemy to some but I would take the MC over the Python.
    Paper targets aren't your friends. They won't lie for you and they don't care if your feelings get hurt.

Boolit Master
    I had a 6” stainless Python and a 6” 27-2 at the same time. I did several head to head accuracy tests. The 27-2 is in my gunsafe and the Python’ been gone almost 20 years with no regrets.

Boolit Grand Master

The Pythons reputation for better accuracy than S&Ws was born out of the 50 yard line in PPC matches using the 148 gr WC target loads back in the day before the bull barreled race guns of the last 40 years. Many times the S&Ws slower twist did not adequately stabilize the WC bullet. The 50 yard scores were not quite as good as with Colts faster twist barrel which fully stabilized the WCs. Numerous Colt Python barrels were put on S&W M10 and M19s creating what was called a "Smython" at the time.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    The lockwork has been cleaned up and is very nice looking and more robust compared to the original...

Attachment 254118

Attachment 254119
    This a win/win for everyone. The positive lock action of the original python was patented in 1905 and first used in a python size frame in 1908 (army special) of which some parts were still interchangeable up to 2004. To put that in perspective, the first Ford model T rolled of the assembly line in 1908. It appears Colt used modern manufacturing to the maximum extent to eliminate fitting but stayed trued to what makes the gun popular. And a 7 1/2 lb. DA trigger pull with 3 1/2 lb single action is a really big score. In the past, only a tuned python would do that with the caveat that it may not ignite magnum primers in double action. Congrats to Colt for giving what many wanted, even if though a somewhat high price for a production gun. Maybe an updated anaconda is around the corner?

Boolit Master
    I have an '81 vintage 4"blue Python, bought in the late 90's from someone who didn't know what they had. Nope, don't feel bad at all !
    Been shot a lot, decided to take it easy on it, mostly 12-1400 f/s 160 grainers. A good bit of 1600 f/s for the wow factor. Stayed away from excessive hot 125's. But, dang, the muzzle flash is impressive !
    Still pretty tight, VERY accurate.
    Looked at the pix of the new one, watched the vids.
    A Performance Center S&W 357 runs what, $1200. IF, big IF, the Colt can hang with a PC Smith, it may be worth $300 extra to have the horsey on the gun and a vent rib. Time and getting one in my hand will tell.
    Don't need, want one - got one; but want to shoot one.
    To me, the 4" Python is the best size, best looking, 357 revolver made.
    I have no animosity to Colt, although they have been the worst run gun company EVER !
    If it's made here, unlike the rumor that the "new" SSA that was Brazilian parts "assembled" here; more power to them. More gun manu is better gun manu !
    Cogno, Ergo, Boom

If you're gonna be stupid, don't pull up short. Saddle up and ride it all the way in.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunslinger1911 View Post
    A Performance Center S&W 357 runs what, $1200. IF, big IF, the Colt can hang with a PC Smith, it may be worth $300 extra to have the horsey on the gun and a vent rib. Time and getting one in my hand will tell.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	11760_01_lg.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	18.4 KB 
ID:	254254

Performance Center Model 686 Plus, $986 MSRP, no horsey though. I have one, and it is a tremendous shooter. Light weight too. Also available with four inch barrel.

only interested in Colt's revolvers 50 years old or older... the new stuff does nothing for me at all... and the company as it is today does not inspire confidence at all...

Quote Originally Posted by slam45 View Post
    only interested in Colt's revolvers 50 years old or older... the new stuff does nothing for me at all... and the company as it is today does not inspire confidence at all...
    My Officer's Model Match has had Frank Glenn's "Ultimate Action Job." He REALLY knows how to make a Colt action function well.

The Colt Python has always been a very pretty, overpriced, poor performing revolver. Yes, I'm a Smith guy. Pythons had horrible triggers. I see Colt is still overpricing them, I hope they perform better now. By the way, the pictures show composite laminated grip panels. Can't they find a decent piece of wood for a $1500 revolver?
    Couldn't have said it better....Rod

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I think the reason I never got a king cobra for $359 back in the 90s is I’ve always been a 44 mag fan. I probably still won’t buy one of these when they are available unless they make a 44 or 45 python. I still have my second anaconda to replace the one that was stolen and I never shoot that one either. I bought it about a month after cold and they weren’t selling to the public anymore...then not not now. Their big sales gimmick imo. And then they wait 15 to 20 years and start making them again and sell them for almost three times as much. The first Anaconda was extremely accurate but the second one to replace it not so much. Won’t get rid of it because I like the way it looks ... it’s just a really neat looking Paperweight imo. I also won’t replace it for the $499 I paid for it brand new on the shelf I ever really feel the need to have one again. You see them all over the place for sale with an asking price of $1500-$2500 or more but I don’t really see a lot of people buying them.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-07-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Boolit Master
    For me the Python is a beautiful handgun but never shot as well as my Trooper, better trigger, more accurate. But the one that beats them is my old workhorse M-28 S&W. I would like to try the new Python though.

Boolit Grand Master bedbugbilly's Avatar
    I bought a 4" blued Python a number of years ago to try the "Python Experience". I'm the red headed stepchild when it comes to Pythons - the one I had was like new but I hated it - couldn't war, up to it at all and decided to sell it a couple of years ago - got 3 times what I paid for it. Some folks like oranges and some like apples - I'll stick with my 70 year old Smith M & P as I find it "=my cup of tea".

Just me - but I really question if the "new Pythons" will be able to stack up against the od ones quality wise - th truth will be in the pudding when the production models finally come out.

Boolit Master
    Don't want to start a fight with anyone but MY 6" Python has a lot better trigger than any of my Smiths or Rugers.

Boolit Master

These guys seem impressed with it.

"Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Duckiller View Post
    Don't want to start a fight with anyone but MY 6" Python has a lot better trigger than any of my Smiths or Rugers.

So does my andaconda... And if it didn’t it takes all of 10 to 15 minutes of polishing which I did anyways even after it was already an awesome trigger. It breaks at a crisp 1.8 pounds.

Into the above post I’d give a positive review if they gave me a free firearm and paid me to hype it up as well.lol

Boolit Grand Master

All of them can have a good single action trigger. My GP100 came out of the box with a 2.2 pound single action trigger.

I just watched a segment on Outdoor channel about the new Python. They claim it is an all new updated design, although they did not go into details. They did say the grips will interchange with all Python grips.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast