Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
Titan ReloadingInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Wideners Repackbox
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Python returns

Boolit Master
    I'm an original Python owner and still have it. Spoiled me from ever considering a S&W, other than their lightweight J-frames. I watched the video and the gentleman stated he never a Python fan but also said IHO, it was better than the originals. For the life of me, I can't see where anyone would get the idea it was a re-branded Cobra or Trooper. Since the lock work was never shown. Maybe I got an exceptional one, I always shot it DAO and disagree with the increased stacking, as it gets trigger cocked. I don't think $1500 is out of line. Ruger RH's are $1100 MSRP..........not anywhere finished near a Colt. S&W Classic line, ain't cheap, either. I paid @ $369 for my Python, new in the mid 70's. I was working for GM and making $4.32/hour. A brand new midsize car was @ $3500 OTD..................do the math and take inflation into consideration. IIRC, he said the originals are going for the price of what a new car was, back then.

Winelover

Boolit Master
    I have a safe full of handguns but if I were younger I would buy one of the new Pythons. In 1976 a fellow worker who was dating the sister of a gun shop owner. He bought a new Python and a new Diamondback, both with four inch barrels. He told me one day he would like to sell them to buy new tires for his dune buggy. He was asking $500 for the pair. I didn't have the money so I called my brother who always had money and he bought them and still has them in the original box with the original plastic wrapping. They are beautiful to look at but now probably too valuable to shoot in the new condition.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

Boolit Buddy
    I thought colt announced that were not selling to the public a few months ago.

Boolit Buddy
    My mistake. They wont sell AR15 to public.

Banned
    Just because Colt stamped the name "Python" on the gun doesn't mean it is the same Python they made years ago.

Colt is banking on their company name and that famous model name.

I don't know how many more bankruptcies Colt has left in them. This new "Python" looks like a re-warmed Trooper MK V in stainless steel with a $1500 price tag, time will tell if Colt can sell enough of those.

Boolit Master
    Wow that looks WAY BETTER than a Super GP100! AND, no Hillary hole!
    I’ll bet the CNC work and the MIM are high quality like they have going on with the new King Cobra (mine is GREAT).
    My new King Cobra came with 0.359” throats and a 0.355” groove barrel. I size 0.359” and have NO leading, high velocities and small groups.

I could see how some people would like the new gun regardless of who’s name is on the frame as long as it’s pretty, has great measurements, is put together well and makes little groups on distant targets. Yeah I’ll bet some people would spill a pile of hundred dollar bills on the counter of their LGS to get a new one. Hmmm???
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

The way it sounds Colt is outsourcing the production of these new pythons.

Boolit Master

S&W 686....for the win....less money....more gun.
    Maker of Silver Boolits for Werewolf hunting

Boolit Master
    I have a Python, 1964 version. It does have a really nice trigger and is very accurate with the right loads. It loves full power 125gn loads. It is one of the most accurate pistols I have ever shot. Would I pay the going price for one? Nope.

The target grips it came with are just that, target grips. Bad part is the really nice checkering on them eats your hand. I keep them in a box. I like the shape (I have large hands). I put Hogue grips on it for shooting. My Father-in-law, who owned it before me, made much smaller grips for his hands. As reference, I rarely find factory revolver grips that fit my hands.

Bad points. The lockwork is not very robust. A lot of fast DA shooting (500-1000rnds) will require some gunsmith work to get it back into shape. Finding a good gunsmith who can work on them is getting more difficult. Related to that, the same lockwork limits your speed (which is one reason why Miculek went to S&W decades ago). The factory pin on the rear sight will work loose. Needs to be replaced with a split pin.

I just love the looks of one. Colt stumbled onto the visually perfect (to me) mix of dimensions with the 4" model. The excellent bluing job just sets it off. This is an area (probably cost) that the new announcement puts me off. Stainless. Never liked the look of the stainless snake guns.

So, if you want to shoot and shoot fast, find a good S&W. If you want a Colt that does as well as my Python, find a Trooper and have the trigger worked on (if needed).

I am wary of the new ones. IF, and a big if, Colt makes them perform well, they might be worth the money. They will have to be exceptional and I just wonder of Colt is up to that kind of challenge.

Boolit Master

The lockwork has been cleaned up and is very nice looking and more robust compared to the original...

Attachment 254118

Attachment 254119
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    Of course it's not the same Python from years ago. The people complaining it's not the same gun would be complaining if it was the same gun... If it was manufactured the same way, with dozens of hours of polishing and handfitting, it'd cost $4,000 and people would be complaining that it'll go out of time after 1,000 rounds.

These new colts will bring the value of older 686's up, $1500 will become 'the going rate for a non two piece barrel/Hillary hole 357 magnum. I don't like Colt as a company and their revolvers for the reasons already mentioned in this thread...

Groo here
    I will have a 6 in SS when I can get!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    I carried a 4in nickle for 8 years and have many K magnum loads through them.[ still running]
    For Da work I always liked it over an S&W.
    S&W are easer to slick up, but a good Python done by someone who knows [ Likr C&S]
    Will beat all but a slicked up DW...
    If the new one is as reported ,,, It will walk all over the DW and make the S&W feel like a ruger.

Unfortunately it’s the tv show “the walking dead” that made the Python so expensive as rick carried one throughout the series now his daughter carries it. That’s why the guns price skyrocketed since 2010

Banned
    Idaho45guy, is that the CURRENT python that Colt just released? And if so, what is the source of that picture?

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Idaho45guy, is that the CURRENT python that Colt just released? And if so, what is the source of that picture?
    Yes, that is the new Python, apparently. Photo was taken from another gun forum posted by a member who did not cite his source.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

Boolit Master
    I shot a fiends Python years ago and always wanted one but couldn’t afford it. I handled a new Cobra last month and really liked it. Though the Cobra is about $1500.00 Canadian and the Python is priced at around $2100.00 Canadian I’m definitely going to look at one when they show up here and make my decision then.
    I have some old S&W’s and some new ones and have had no issues with either.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by shooting on a shoestring View Post
    Wow that looks WAY BETTER than a Super GP100! AND, no Hillary hole!
    I’ll bet the CNC work and the MIM are high quality like they have going on with the new King Cobra (mine is GREAT).
    My new King Cobra came with 0.359” throats and a 0.355” groove barrel. I size 0.359” and have NO leading, high velocities and small groups.
    If the new Python has the same throats I will buy one. Really been looking at a few revolvers like the Smith 610 and a few rugers. The Python would be a great range gun.

Quote Originally Posted by dkf View Post
    The way it sounds Colt is outsourcing the production of these new pythons.
    I was wondering who would be making these.
    Buzzard's luck!! Can't kill nothin', nothin'll die!!

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Idaho45guy View Post
    Yes, that is the new Python, apparently. Photo was taken from another gun forum posted by a member who did not cite his source.
    So, IS THAT THE CURRENT 2020 Python?
    It was just announced; Someone has a 2020 model, took the side plate off and posted a picture?????

Not trying to be difficult here, just trying to get to the facts.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast