Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Python returns

I'd rather have a Smith & Wesson model 27. Any day of the week.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    I bet People will still keep buying them left and right even with problems. There’s a lot of diehard colt Python followers and they’re going to buy them and send them in and get them fixed. Ridiculous imo. I’m a hunter...dollar for dollar I’d rather spend my money on a Ruger. And I do have a colt anaconda 8 3/4” ported I bought new a week after colt announced they weren’t selling to the public anymore for $499.00. I had a stroke of bad luck and someone broke in my house and stole my anaconda at the time and went out and replaced this one the next day. I’d be a little more riled if that burglar waited a while longer! I added a mat dot ultra dot mounted on it. So I. All set if I really want to take a colt hunting.

I still say if it wasn’t broke don’t fix it. Colt should’ve just started producing the python again exactly how it blueprinted years ago and ran flawless....Just like they did five or six years later after discontinuing the andacondas and king cobras. They started selling limited runs of the EXACT same $499 anacondas and $359 king cobras for $1300 each. I would assume they had enough parts laying around that weren’t assembled that they just slap together and put on serial numbers and came out smelling like roses off of that deal.

I love my anaconda but I don’t love Colt. IMO they do just enough to get by and keep their head out of the water. They sure are pretty proud of their products and have jacked up their prices on everything to compare to how they used to be. “Colt” tries to live and prosper off their name and Imo The Colt name is not anywhere the quality it used to be.

Harley Davidson went down that same path years ago and is in the same boat. I worked for them about 2 decades ago when they had the “so called” year and a half wait hype. I hate to tell you all there was never a year and a half wait and the bikes were always readily available...but that’s was their double retail sales gimmick and they were making three to $4000 over retail on them by doing so. We also had used bikes on the sales floor several years old that they had marked up $10,000 over what you could buy a brand new bike for and people were coming in and buying them left and right because the bike was an impulse buy and was readily available... Along with our creative financing of course. Pretty sad in my book. But there’s a sucker born every minute.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-22-2020 at 12:23 AM.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I bet People will still keep buying them left and right even with problems. There’s a lot of diehard colt Python followers and they’re going to buy them and send them in and get them fixed. Ridiculous imo. I’m a hunter...dollar for dollar I’d rather spend my money on a Ruger. And I do have a colt anaconda 8 3/4” ported I bought new a week after colt announced they weren’t selling to the public anymore for $499.00. I had a stroke of bad luck and someone broke in my house and stole my anaconda at the time and went out and replaced this one the next day. I’d be a little more riled if that burglar waited a while longer! I added a mat dot ultra dot mounted on it. So I. All set if I really want to take a colt hunting.

I still say if it wasn’t broke don’t fix it. Colt should’ve just started producing the python again exactly how it blueprinted years ago and ran flawless....Just like they did five or six years later after discontinuing the andacondas and king cobras. They started selling limited runs of the EXACT same $499 anacondas and $359 king cobras for $1300 each. I would assume they had enough parts laying around that weren’t assembled that they just slap together and put on serial numbers and came out smelling like roses off of that deal.

I love my anaconda but I don’t love Colt. IMO they do just enough to get by and keep their head out of the water. They sure are pretty proud of their products and have jacked up their prices on everything to compare to how they used to be. “Colt” tries to live and prosper off their name and Imo The Colt name is not anywhere the quality it used to be.

Harley Davidson went down that same path years ago and is in the same boat. I worked for them about 2 decades ago when they had the “so called” year and a half wait hype. I hate to tell you all there was never a year and a half wait and the bikes were always readily available...but that’s was their double retail sales gimmick and they were making three to $4000 over retail on them by doing so. We also had used bikes on the sales floor several years old that they had marked up $10,000 over what you could buy a brand new bike for and people were coming in and buying them left and right because the bike was an impulse buy and was readily available... Along with our creative financing of course. Pretty sad in my book. But there’s a sucker born every minute.
    Sounds like my experiences with Ruger handguns. Last 4 out of 5 had to be sent back. Now I buy smiths and so far so good, not one had to go back and the triggers break like a glass rod.
    I do hope to buy a Python as soon as the bugs are worked out.
    East Tennessee

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    I will end up probably doing the same. I’ve been eyeing up the Ruger super Blackhawk Bisley hunter for a while.
    Love mine.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snowwolfe View Post
    Sounds like my experiences with Ruger handguns. Last 4 out of 5 had to be sent back. Now I buy smiths and so far so good, not one had to go back and the triggers break like a glass rod.
    I do hope to buy a Python as soon as the bugs are worked out.
    I have a Ruger that’s been back for the third time and haven’t fired it yet. Its coming back on Saturday. All my Ruger’s except for two have been back to the factory several times. One of the two has had several replacement parts sent to me for repair. But Ruger has always fixed them for free. I do own one Smith, a 329NG. Pretty nice pistol but the black finish is wearing off in spots pretty easily. I should check with Smith and Wesson and see what they charge to refinish it.

Boolit Buddy
    Smith and Wesson can be hard to get ahold of. Hope Colt can take care of these issues, as it's a great looking gun, that would look good, in my collection.

Boolit Master

I've heard horror stories regarding revolvers from S&W and Ruger, but at least Ruger customer service is better. I had a S&W Shield that had to go back to S&W and their customer service was not good.
    "Luck don't live out here. Wolves don't kill the unlucky deer; they kill the weak ones..." Jeremy Renner in Wind River

On the other side of the coin, I've had nothing but exemplary service from S&W. Same from Ruger.

I've had nothing but exemplary service from S&W.
    Had a new 637 that locked up on the 3rd or 4th cylinderful out of the box. A call to Smith and I had a FEDEX label in hand and the gun was back in two weeks...they did a beautiful trigger job on it too...niece in FL has it now for purse carry while showing houses as a realtor. Too, my wife's M36, a 1992 gun went back for a cylinder stop...both fixes were on their nickle...hard to complain on that kind of product support.

YMMv, Rod

Boolit Master

Boolit Buddy
    My first gun was a king cobra. Still a pleasure to shoot.

Boolit Grand Master
    I agree with Hickock45's take on the matter--that he wants very much for the new-series Pythons to succeed, and I would like that as well. After a reasonable number of consumer-grade (NOT gunwriter-grade) examples get into buyer hands, I will decide about whether to plunk down the coin for an example of my own. I will cop to it right here--I am enamored with the revolvers. Whether or not I want to bring her home to meet the folks.......jury is still out.
    I don't paint bullets. I like Black Rifle Coffee. Sacred cows are always fair game. California is to the United States what Syria is to Russia and North Korea is to China/South Korea/Japan--a Hermit Kingdom detached from the real world and led by delusional maniacs, an economic and social basket case sustained by "foreign" aid so as to not lose military bases.

I just got back from the SHOT Show last night, and I did handle two of the new Colt Pythons in the Colt booth. Both had noticeably better double action trigger pulls than the older Pythons. I was never a fan of the spring stacking of the older Pythons, but those two were reasonably smooth all through the trigger pull. The Colt rep claimed they all come that way right out of the box, but only time will tell whether that's true or not.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

I handled a 4" Python at the SHOT Show last week. It was a very nice gun, however they took the "Wall" out of the trigger pull so now staging the trigger during DA is strictly a "feel as you go" type of thing. The older guns had a definite spot in the trigger pull where you could easily stage the trigger to while firing DA for that last look at the sight alignment and sight picture before the break.

They did this on purpose! and nobody at the booth knew why. Still a very nice gun but $1500.00 is way out of my range., and I don't even need a .357, as all proper handgun calibers start with a .4 anyway! I don't do 9mm either!

Still, they will sell all they can make and most people wouldn't know the difference in the trigger pull anyway.

Randy
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Master
    That wall, or hitch in the action is what I found objectionable with the old Python. My training and my preference was for a smooth non stacking trigger. It still is.

Boolit Mold
    The Python was my first revolver, and until I bought my Ruger GP100 last year, the only revolver I had owned. Back in 1977 it was very expensive at $440.00 AUD, at least 3 times as much as it's S&W competitor. Not sure if it was a true refection of value or just Australian importer mark up, but all the same , it was one really nice handgun. The same piece goes for over $3,000.00 S/H now, in good condition ( rare to see a beaten up one though). I paid $500.00 AUD for my GP100, S/H with trigger work and custom sights, and it shoots every bit as well for 1/6th the price.

I've always wanted another Python, but just can't justify the cost.

The Python was my first revolver. Purchased in 1978. 4" Royal blue. She's sittin in the safe beside my first semi auto a Colt Series 70 Gold Cup National Match purchased in 1980 which are on the shelf above my first rifle a Colt AR-15 SP-1 also purchased in 1978.The safe is beside my loading bench which has my first reloading setup which was the RCBS Rock Chuck kit also purchased in 1978 to feed my snake.Good Times.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

Boolit Mold
    What a coincidence....I bought my one and only AR-15 in 1978 too ( they were banned here years ago), and I still use my first press, an Australian made Simplex, which was made in 1972. Must have used better metal back them, instead of the Chinezium alloy we have today...

Quote Originally Posted by pattern14 View Post
    What a coincidence....I bought my one and only AR-15 in 1978 too ( they were banned here years ago), and I still use my first press, an Australian made Simplex, which was made in 1972. Must have used better metal back them, instead of the Chinezium alloy we have today...
    What a coincidence I also have a Pattern 14 w/ volley sights.
    "Adults are the children and the children are the adults" Jules my wife.

All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. — Daniel Boone

Democracy is defended in 3 stages: Ballot Box, Jury Box, Cartridge Box. — Ambrose Bierce

A system of licensing and registration is the perfect device to deny gun ownership to the bourgeoisie. — Vladimir Ilyich Lenin

Black Rifles Matter

NRA Life Member, SAF Member, GOA Member, TFA Member

https://www.americanrifleman.org/art...thon-problems/

Pythons are ment to be kept in a safe & not fired.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast