Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionReloading Everything
Repackbox Inline Fabrication
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Python returns

Moderator Emeritus

The Python returns

New for 2020: Colt Python
    by SI Staff - Wednesday, January 1, 2020

When Colt first started bringing back its famous line of "snake guns," starting with the .38 Spl. Cobra model (reviewed here), consumers began asking for the most famous of the Colt snake guns: the Python. Colt teased revolver fans a bit with the launch of the King Cobra in 2019 (reviewed here), one of the company's other .357 Mag. revolver options. However, in January 2020, the wait ended with the re-launch of the world-famous Colt Python revolver.

Engineers at Colt spent years re-working the design of the Python in order to provide consumers with an enhanced model that provided the classic look and feel of the old-school Python with the upgraded conveniences of modern technology. One of the issues often found on old Colt Pythons was an inconsistent trigger-pull weight that varied from shot to shot, due to the hand-fitting and finishing that these guns received in early years.

Now, thanks to Colt's next-generation trigger system, the new-for-2020 Colt Python revolver will feature consistent trigger pulls in both single- and double-action modes, with double-action trigger pulls maxing out between 7 to 9.5 pounds. Of course, the gun features a six-round cylinder and will be available in two barrel lengths: 4.25 inches and 6 inches. The barrels feature the classic full underlug design that completes the iconic look of the Python, as well as the ventilated rib running along the top of the barrel. The six-groove rifling features a 1:14-inch twist rate that stabilizes all of today's popular bullet weights.

Colt's new Python revolvers feature stainless-steel frames, barrels and cylinders, which are all polished to a semi-bright finish. With a 6-inch barrel, the gun measures 11.5 inches in overall length, 5.5 inches high and 1.5 inches wide. Total weight, unloaded, for the gun tops out at 42 ounces. Barrels are topped by an interchangeable red-ramp front sight, and the rear sight is adjustable for windage and elevation. Each gun is finished with attractive, checkered walnut grips complete with an inset Colt medallion.

The suggested retail price on the new Colt Python is $1,499. For more information, visit colt.com.

See link for Photos
    https://www.shootingillustrated.com/...0-colt-python/
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Sweet I’ll have to order one and a 6 inch barrel because my anaconda needs a friend. I never did like the king cobra. I remember those things used to go for $359 everywhere you looked. They use to get given away at the ducks Unlimited banquet every year to and everybody kept trading them off and didn’t want them. Wish I would’ve grabbed one and put it away.

Boolit Master
    Cheaper than an old one!

Boolit Grand Master
    Look! It’s a mark III with a ventilated rib. Python my pearly white bottom. I will hold off until I see one.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Banned
    That new "Python" is going to be a Python in name only.

And at $1500, either there's a huge profit margin in there or Colt still hasn't learned how to be competitive.

Boolit Master

I owned a Python back in the early 70's and never liked the grip. I had to readjust my hand on the grip every couple of shots. It was too wide at the bottom and caused my hand to slide upwards.
    It was no good for fast self defense shooting!

A round but grip and I'd think about it.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Boolit Grand Master
    Back 50 some years ago the Python was "THE" revolver. My buddy had one when we shot Bullseye. It was a sweet gun. Hope the new model is as good. The price is not out of line if it works as well as the original.
    Don Verna

Banned

I owned only one and didn't like much of anything about it other then the pretty bluing. Id take a good k or L frame even if the price was the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I owned a Python back in the early 70's and never liked the grip. I had to readjust my hand on the grip every couple of shots. It was too wide at the bottom and caused my hand to slide upwards.
    It was no good for fast self defense shooting!

A round but grip and I'd think about it.

Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Moderator Emeritus

a couple decades ago, I owned both, the Python and the King Cobra. I liked looking at the Python, but I liked shooting the King Cobra much more...but to be honest, I prefered the S&W's I owned even more yet. So The Python got traded and the King Cobra sold at my auction....no regrets.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    After I watched the video link above it looks more like a king cobra that they stamped python on it.

Boolit Master
    The Colt Python has always been a very pretty, overpriced, poor performing revolver. Yes, I'm a Smith guy. Pythons had horrible triggers.
    I see Colt is still overpricing them, I hope they perform better now. By the way, the pictures show composite laminated grip panels. Can't they find a decent piece of wood for a $1500 revolver?

Boolit Mold
    I definitely want to take a look at one. The trigger mechanism has been totally revised, which is a very good thing, since the original Pythons has triggers that were inferior to S&W's. I'm thinking a 4.25" Python that is listed as being one ounce under the IDPA weight limit for a stock revolver, might be a hoot in competition!

Boolit Master
    Never got to like colt revolver triggers ,I would chose a 686 every time .

Boolit Grand Master
    not a fan
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Buddy
    I thought that what separated original Pythons from other DA/SA revolvers was the hand fitting of parts when it was put together. This sounds like a marketing scheme of reusing the old name to increase sales. I'm not convinced these are going to be anything special. I want to get another revolver in near future but I'm not so convinced these are going to be anything like the old Pythons in any way. Many manufacturers used this method before. Sig brought back P210 which should be great but again I'm not sure its going to be as good as original old German ones. Everything that makes money has a sequel but most fail the second time around. I'll wait to see how it really turns out before I buy one.

Banned
    At that price, with the "new" and "improved" (read that as cheaper to produce) lock work; it is clear Colt is still banking on their name.

Super Moderator

I have never personally owed a Python, but one of my Uncles did and I was able to shoot it frequently as a teenager. I really liked shooting that gun, and remember it having a smooth action and being very, very accurate. My Uncle has since passed away, and I have no idea what ever happened to that Python...never asked. I doubt that any current production Python would ever equal the ones made back in the day. The old saying comes to mind, "They don't make them like they used to".

I have not handle one of the old ones . I seen the video early this morning, then I seen this post think it would help someone on here, like to see it also know more about it. For the price of it ,I will stick with Ruger or some other make.
    Life Member of NRA,NTA,DAV ,ITA. Also member of FTA,CBA

Boolit Master

I never had the economic "muscle" to buy a Python back in the day but I thought about them a lot and hankered for one. I did buy a Trooper MK III in .357 magnum and it was the most accurate .357 I ever shot (in single action mode). However it was never as smooth of an action that my S&W's had. But the worst part about the MK III was the same as all the Colt's that I have owned; that pull to the rear cylinder latch. It just was not in my DNA to pull to the rear instead of push to the front. I still like the looks of that Python but at $1500.00 dollars I don't see one in my future. I won't be buying any of the new S&W's either. If I decide I need/want another revolver, I will find a older Ruger or older S&W to cure my itch. james
    Last edited by TNsailorman; 01-08-2020 at 06:46 PM.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast