RotoMetals2Snyders JerkyTitan ReloadingReloading Everything
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Venison meatballs

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar

Venison meatballs

I just gave my first go at it and they turned out great. I took 2 pounds of pure venison I ground up into hamburger. I first thawed them out and soaked in a brine for 24 hours made of canning salt and apple cider vinegar to soak all the blood out of it. From there I soaked it in milk for 24 hours. I then took my 2 pounds of hamburger and put it in a strainer and let it sit and drain while I made my mix. For my mix i used great value generic stove top stuffing mix with turkey flavor, two eggs, a TSP of garlic salt, TSP of twisted fish seasoning I had laying around, a table spoon of Worcestershire sauce, a half a cup of milk, and a whole purple onion I chopped up and fried in virgin olive oil for four minutes before adding. I mixed it altogether and then let it sit in my refrigerator for a good 20 minutes to let the moisture soak into the stove top stuffing. I read on the Internet a similar recipe and kind of customized it. It said to make the meatballs tablespoon diameter to 1.5 diameter edit cook them at 375 for 25 minutes. I made mine with an ice cream scoop so I adjusted my time. I cooked at 375 for 22 minutes and then turned my oven on broil and cooked for an additional 10 minutes. I wanted to see were the top of it a little bit to make them crunchy. I took them out and tested one and cut it in half. It looked perfectly done to me and I tasted it and it tasted phenomenal! I already had supper so I’ll have to save them for tomorrow. I plan on freezing 3/4 of them and I’ll leave out 8 and put in my fridge for the next meal or two. They taste really, really good. Extremely soft and moist in the inside. There’s so soft on the inside side I was paranoid that they might not of been completely cooked. I believe it’s just the bread from the stove top stuffing and onions that made it so soft inside?

Before going in the oven,

After,

I cut one open to see if it was done...and ate it. I see there’s almost like a pinkish color but it’s completely cooked and very soft I think the colors from the purple onions.

This recipe is basically exactly the same as my meatloaf but I cut up an onion and sautéed it and then mixed it in with the recipe this time instead of using a TSP of onion powder.

Can’t wait to make some Spaghetti and mix these in or just make a big meatball sub.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-02-2020 at 09:34 AM.

Banned

probably tasted great but you do realize with all that prep and spice you could have used dog meat and it would have tasted the same. About the same with the summer sausage I make. I love the taste of venison and if I only had a deer or two a year and was going to do something like that id just use store burger. Would you go through the brining soaking and rinsing if it were cow burger??
    Last edited by Lloyd Smale; 01-02-2020 at 09:57 AM.

USMC 77, USRA 79

those look awesome Trip.... i am gunna try a shorcut version of this recipe.... i do have one question my friend.... Who gave you the Venison...
    Any technology not understood, can seem like Magic!!!

I will love the Lord with all my heart, all my soul, and all my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by Lloyd Smale View Post
    probably tasted great but you do realize with all that prep and spice you could have used dog meat and it would have tasted the same. About the same with the summer sausage I make. I love the taste of venison and if I only had a deer or two a year and was going to do something like that id just use store burger. Would you go through the brining soaking and rinsing if it were cow burger??
    Your right... It doesn’t taste like venison... It just taste like normal burger....but they’re tasty!!!
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-02-2020 at 07:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Markopolo View Post
    those look awesome Trip.... i am gunna try a shorcut version of this recipe.... i do have one question my friend.... Who gave you the Venison...
    That’s a good question.lol

This is some of the burger from last year yet. I had like 18 packs left but ate all my steaks and straps up by last summer. I went through three deer pretty quick last year and got three again this year but was hoping I’d get one or two more. I never did shoot one bow hunting because I was too picky. This coming season I’m going to get out there the first week or two and drill about two or three doe right off the bat. Normally every time I sit bow hunting I pass up 5 to 6 doe... Not this coming year they’re getting spanked.

I figured I’d try something new to try and burn up some of that burger before breaking into my fresh venison. I still have a bunch of packs of burger to go.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-02-2020 at 07:36 PM.

I think I just put subway meatball sandwiches out of business. Lloyd you probably wouldn’t like my brand of potato chips either.

I heated three of them up in some spaghetti sauce for about 25 minutes covered and then added some shredded mozzarella cheese till it melted. I toasted a nice hoagie bun and pounded it down.

I just tried a second batch that’ll be going in the oven here shortly. I had 4 pounds that I brined and had 2lbs sitting in the fridge yet. I skipped the fish seasoning and used great value chicken instead of turkey stove top stuffing this time. I’m also going to make them a little smaller.
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-02-2020 at 08:49 PM.

Banned

haven't ate chips in at least 5 years. That sandwich looks good though.

I like the taste of the second batch of meatballs better. I just skipped the fish seasoning and garlic salt second time around. That fish seasoning gives it a “seasoning” taste. You either like it or you don’t. There’s absolutely none of that with the second batch. The generic stove top stuffing gives it enough zing by itself.

Boolit Buddy
    If you want to kill the taste of venison why hunt it?

Plain and simple Because I love to hunt. I’ve even donated dozens apon dozens of deer to food pantry’s for the homeless here in the past when I filled my freezer plump full. I’m more of a horn hunter than anything. I was told when I was a kid if I killed it I had to eat it. I can eat venison without brining it but I get stomach cramps and diarrhea within 15 minutes or less. I get similar symptoms as food poisoning. I believe it something to do with all the protein in the blood left in the meet. All I can say is I ate four deer last year and that’s more deer than I’ve eaten in probably 20 years combined with zero stomach issues. It also saves me on groceries as well I have three deer in the freezer and probably 18 packs of hamburger from last year yet. I purchased 34 acres of land for exclusively for hunting a few years back so I could fill my freezer and eat the animals off of it and save in groceries. I’ve been hunting on this land since I was a kid. Every time I go out bow hunting I have 6 to 8 goal at a minimum that walk within spitting distance of me. Very fortunate to a purchased this property. It’s paid for and doesn’t owe me a dime except for tax time.It’s paid for and doesn’t owe me a dime except for one becomes taxed time You can criticize me all you want but my venison taste awesome. Since I’ve been soaking my meat like this when I started last year I’ve had over a dozen people that won’t touch venison with a 10 foot pole eat it and tell me it taste phenomenal. To each his own. I am just happy That I can eat my deer now without having to sit on the toilet or go to the ER after dinner. Most people who shoot one deer every 3 to 4 years and hold it up on a pedestal and say it’s the best thing they ever ate whether it is or isn’t. On my property the challenge of shooting a deer is like shooting fish in a barrel. I have so many deer on my land except for this year ...it was a goofy year, so venison comes pretty easy to me and I need switch it up every once in a while or it gets boring to eat the same old taste. I don’t go to the store and buy any other meat during the year and live off my venison, small game, and fish. Here in Wisconsin they give you two extra tags for Bow hunting and gun hunting and you can purchase all the extra doe tags you want... they used to be free of charge. So on average I would have at least a half a dozen deer in my freezer each year. If I didn’t eat them they get this first to family members that would. I guess if it impresses you I’ll take a bite out of a raw chunk of dead deer butt and tell you it taste great.lol I do like the way deer taste fresh off the deer fried up in the pan 10 minutes after I got shot but I’ll literally schatt my pants five minutes. I finally have learned how to brine deer so it doesn’t give me diarrhea. The biggest thing I get a kick out of most people here that give me crap about doing this to my hamburger and they took theirs in to get it processed and got it half mixed with pork tallo and they think they’re eating pure venison.

I’ve eaten enough plain old venison hamburger and plain old steaks for a lifetime... That’s why this is a recipe post... Not a post to throw a chunk of meat on the fire and flip it a few times and eat it. And I bet you whoever did that marinated it and put seasoning all over it.... And wrecked the deer taste! Why would you do that to your venison...I just don’t know?...maybe you shouldn’t kill deer anymore.lol

I guess everybody’s got to have an opinion.

Just like Lloyd asked above...I wouldn’t do it with my cow burger... Because beef tastes 100,000 times better imo. If I brine my venison it is closer in taste to beef or veal when I get done and it taste better to me and everyone that I’ve shared it with so I can at least make use out of the game that I harvested. I’d like to come over to your guises house and watch you cut up deer and eat it without putting anything in the pan or seasoning and watch you eat your whole deer that way. I call BS. Your both are tell me you’re throwing your hamburger(or steaks) directly in a pan that hasn’t been processed with any tallo, or used any butter, grease,cooking oil, or seasoning, or marinated it in anything I would be shocked... It all changes the flavor of your venison it just depends on how much you do or don’t want to do with it. I’m glad most still post recipes here of their venison which I’ve gotten some really good ones even though there’s been a few that keep bashing people for doing it. Wish I had that much time on my hands to go through every recipe here and ask them why they made it and just didn’t throw a chunk of deer on the grill. I bet you nobody comes over to your guises house when you make venison meatballs with nothing but a chunk of plain old ground venison and I will guarantee you would post that everybody said it was great and they were asking for more.lol... there must be some dead taste buds around your house. Kinda reminds me of the neighbors that owned a bar. The owner always said if people were drunk enough they would eat anything and thought it always tasted good.lol

I just made a meatball casserole with a few of them.

Here’s the link to the recipe...

https://www.theseasonedmom.com/dump-...all-casserole/
    Last edited by Tripplebeards; 01-04-2020 at 08:01 PM.

Banned

id come over and eat that no matter what kind of meat was used!

I made up some meatloaf mix for the top and bake the peas last night. It consisted of ketchup brown sugar and a little barbecue sauce. I hate is it at 350 for a half an hour. Gave it a little bit more zing.

I’ll try some tonight with some more spaghetti sauce over the top and keep it simple.