RotoMetals2RepackboxLoad DataWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationTitan ReloadingSnyders Jerky
Lee Precision Reloading Everything

Thread: Starting to Load a New for Me Caliber

Boolit Grand Master

Starting to Load a New for Me Caliber

Like the title says, I'm gearing up to load for a new to me caliber. The 41 Magnum. This is the first new caliber that I have adopted in a while and I guess I'm kind of excited! I already load for several revolvers cartridges so I'm not really asking any advice, just making conservation. I've had the pistol (S&W M-57) and a die set for a while. But, a friend just bought a Ruger Blackhawk in 41 and when we went to shoot it I realized how little ammo that I had for it.

Anyway, I've ordered another mold from Tom, at Accuratemolds, a SWC design. Midway will be shipping 1000 Starline cases, enough MTM flip top plastic boxes to store my loaded rounds in and a Lee Case Gauge type trimmer and lock stud.

As soon as the CC bill comes in and is paid I'll be ordering a Star Die and Top punch from Lathesmith. I've never had to buy new brass for a handgun before so this is a first, too!

Geeze, I just doubled what I have in the pistol!

Anyway, if any of you would be interested in sharing your pet loads I would like to see them. This will be mostly for plinking but I always try to tag a Deer with a new handgun. I'm thinking maybe Unique for midrange loads and 2400 for heavier loads? Yeah, I'm old school!

I use unique and 2400 for 41 magnum. Sounds like you got it figured out. Nothing difficult about 41 mag. I have a 411-hammer mp- mold that is my favorite. The fp weighs 227gns. I use the sm hp for hunting. It weighs 217 gns with my alloy. The sm hp goes over 9.0gns of unique. The flat point, over 16.5 of 2400.
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

You might find this thread interesting since you have fallen down the 41mag rabbit hole. I found that my 41 BH has the same problem never enough ammo once you start shooting it.

I like 8.0 gr Unique under a 200gr lrg hp Mehi 413640 @ 1000 fps. Not a rip- snorter just fun to shoot.

Or for a stout load 18.0 gr Imr 4227 under a 220 wfn Mehi 413640

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...ad-Data-Center
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Banned

My 41 magnum revolvers like 19.5 grains of 2400 with Elmer's bullet.

Boolit Grand Master
    Now you need to pair it up with a lever action rifle!!!

Curious why you would trim new pistol brass. Doing 1000 will be "fun".
    Don Verna

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by dverna View Post
    Now you need to pair it up with a lever action rifle!!!

Curious why you would trim new pistol brass. Doing 1000 will be "fun".
    I usually don't trim pistol brass and I may not trim these. I thought maybe I would check the length of these new cases and the Lee trimmer gives me the option. And yes, "fun" may not adequately describe it! Usually if I do that many cases I use my Giraud. But thats not an option this time.

Heres to hoping that they will be pretty consistent!

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by lightman View Post
    SNIP...

I've never had to buy new brass for a handgun before so this is a first, too!
    Congrats on going with the 41.
    There is tons of data on the link Minerat posted...I put some in there as well.
    There was a Group Buy that Arsenal Molds offered about 8 months about (220gr RF), that I'm really liking.
    There isn't much else for hints I can offer you.
    EXCEPT ONE:
    Since you haven't bought new starline pistol brass before. If you are planning on sizing the new cases (unlubed) with a carbide die, you may be surprised how difficult it is. I'm not sure what Starline does different than other brass manufacturers, but I've found it to be necessary to lube (inside and outside) all new large bore pistol cases made by Starline, size them and expand the case mouth, then tumble clean them to remove the lube, then proceed to do the remaining steps to load them. Once they have been fired, sizing/expanding is just as easy as other brands.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    “If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.”
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Boolit Grand Master

NOE 413 - 215 - WC over :
    4.8 grains Bullseye
    4.9 grains Titegroup
    5.2 grains Red Dot
    the above loads = 750 to 800 fps in a 6" bbl. and are great for paper targets and tin can plinking .

7.5 grains Unique = 900 to 950 fps and is a good cast boolit load for general purpose use. I got this one from Elmer Keith himself , the 215 or 220 grain SWC can be used , of course .

The NOE 413-215-WC is a 41 cal recreation of the Lyman 358432 wadcutter and is extremely accurate . Not many are aware of the Lyman 358432 or the NOE versions in 38 , 41 and 44 cal.
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

The beauty of brand new brass is that it is already sized. Just flare them, Prime them, and load them. I predict you will love the 41 magnum.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    years ago, I had a 6 inch smith in .41 mag.. I con-sitter it one of the most accurate pistols i've ever had. a full size deer target at 200 yards was nothing for this gun to hit(with iron sights). if I had to start all over again. I would think very hard about doing it with only a .41 mag. smith all the ones I had, came with 6 inch barrels, but since then I've found a 4 inch ain't bad. I don't think smith ever made a 5 inch .41 mag. I"ve had several 5 inch smiths (I've got a 5 inch in .45 LC but I had a model 544 in .44-40. and it was a 5 inch and it also was an awesome accurate shooter.(I just couldn't keep all the really good ones that i've had over the years.) also too many different guns and cal. to load for. but you can't go wrong with a Smith in .41 mag. I loaded mine for about 900-1,000 FPS and they where very accurate.

Boolit Grand Master

Thanks for the replys everyone! My brass order arrived yesterday and I will probably start messing with it today. I don't think I have ever purchased new pistol brass. I've always bought loaded ammo to have once fired brass or used range brass. I'll probably measure a few cases for length and consistancy, trim them if necessary, deburr the case mouths and prime them. Just trying to have them ready to load once my new mold arrives.

Boolit Grand Master

I started processing this brass this morning and I just have to say that I'm impressed! I dumped it all out in a plastic tub and measured the length on several random samples. It was remarkably uniform, although it was slightly shorter than the suggested trim to length. None of the cases had bent case mouths, as is fairly common with new brass. The flash holes were all centered and there was little to no burr on the flash hole inside of the case.

After working on a few other brands of brass, I'm sold on Starline!

I bought some Starline Nickel plated .41 brass for my heavy loads. The primer pockets were a little tight but that's not a bad thing at all. I like 5 grs of Bullseye for plinking, 8.5 grs of Unique for general, and X grs of W296/H110 to earn the Magnum name. All with 210gr boolits. Since 1976 I have gone 5 years without a .41 and that was a wierd 5 years.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Buddy
    I've had four 41 magnums and all have been exceptionally accurate. I recently acquired a S&W Mountain gun in 41 Magnum to go with my Bisley. My previous two were a 6.5 inch Blackhawk and a 4 inch S&W 57. That 57 stands out as the most accurate revolver I've ever owned and I truly regret trading it off years ago.

For many years, the Blackhawk was the only centerfire handgun I owned. I carried it all over Washington and Alaska with a 265 grain LBT WLN bullet cast of a hard alloy. I never had to use it on a bear. One cougar did succumb to the charms of the 41 and that bullet over a stiff charge of H110.

I'm a big fan of 41's. I could be happy with just about any big bore from 41 to 500 LB but the 41, to me, offers the best of all worlds. It can handle heavy bullets or light with aplomb. Recoil, even with heavy bullets and heavy loads is well within most shooter's ability to handle, and it's honest about its dimensions.

I like Unique, 2400 and H110 in mine and most recently I'm growing fond of HS6 for mid level loads. You will like the mold from Accurate. Tom makes a nice mold.

Congrats on your 41. I know you'll enjoy it.
    Only left handed guns are interesting!