Reloading EverythingLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationWidenersLoad Data
Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tim Malcolm aka MBTcustom (goodsteel) can still build a fine rifle!

Boolit Buddy

Tim Malcolm aka MBTcustom (goodsteel) can still build a fine rifle!

This rifle was done by Tim Malcolm (Malcolm Ballistic Tool) in Conway Arkansas. I believe he has built some rifles for some other members on here previously. He told me that mine was the last of the rifles he built for the cast boolit folks. Rifle was built off a k98 Mauser action, Lothar Walther barrel at 22.5 inches with a 1:14 twist. The jeweling and checkering were done by hand. Chambered in the venerable 358 Winchester. I have a 230 grain mold from accurate for my hunting loads, and a 158 grain from a recent group buy for plinking, plus probably 600 jacketed bullets. I had better get shooting!!

Boolit Master

Yep, Tim rebarreled a 1908 Brazilian Mauser for me years ago and it shot fine.
    Shoot Safe,
    Mike

Retired Telephone Man
    NRA Endowment Member
    Marion Road Gun Club
    ( www.marionroad.com )

That is a beautiful rifle. The best part is I bet it shoots as good as it looks! Congratulations!
    Due to the price of primers, warning shots will no longer be given!

Boolit Buddy
    My personal opinion, take it for what it's worth.

It's a pretty rifle from a distance, but there's just no way on Earth that it would have left my shop with that floor plate area looking like it does. I'm thinking the stock wasn't cut for that action.

Some may see that as being overly picky, but this is a custom built rifle and usually priced accordingly because of the time involved, gaps like that along with being off center just don't fly.

120 miles North of Texarkana 9 miles from OK in the green hell
    I have more than one that Tim did some work on .
    One a full salvage build .
    A one off , nobody in their right mind .......
    A barrel on a 98' action in an old Fajin stock .

The first shoots whatever you feed it with minimal work up into little bitty clusters . The 257 Roberts with a 1-10 22" barrel might give it an unfair advantage going in . Its my Dad's .

What's not to love about a one off 3 reamer wild cat on a Carcano action .......

Last the 1-14 358 Win . It's 300 yd prairie dog capable . Although a 35-250 at 2100 fps might be overkill a little bit for a 6oz squirrel/gopher/rat . I did shoot a few 358132 148 gr WC gallery loads that were quite handy for golf balls to 60-70 yd . I never got around to shooting the 358-125s or the XCB or the other 2-3 moulds on hand .

With the 35-250 I shot many 5-10 shot groups with slow for caliber powders well inside an inch ruined each time by a lost check opening it up to 2" ........

Only the 257 was as pretty as that one . My impatience and wood butchery saw to that .
    In the time of darkest defeat,our victory may be nearest. Wm. McKinley.

I was young and stupid then I'm older now. Me 1992 .

Richard Lee Hart 6/29/39-7/25/18

Without trial we cannot learn and grow . It is through our stuggles that we become stronger .
    Brother I'm going to be Pythagerus , DiVinci , and Atlas all rolled into one soon .

Boolit Buddy
    You have better eyes than I do! Seriously, When it comes to fit etc on rifles, I hardly notice that. Having been in woodworking for several years, I notice wood, finish etc.

Boolit Grand Master
    The kind of rifles most of us dream about and lust for.

Not the kind I would walk the woods with as I am too worried about dinging it up. I would shoot if from a blind.

Nowadays, you can get a $250 rifle that is sub MOA so with a custom rifle you are not buying accuracy like you did 20+ years ago. Accuracy is "cheap". But getting a rifle made for you, in the caliber you want, with a stock that fits you and has "curb appeal" still has a place.
    Don Verna

Boolit Master

Very nice work.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Boolit Grand Master

Very nice looking rifle......and I'll bet it's a shooter...…..

I've 2 actions back at Tim's for rebarrel/rechambering...… I thoroughly expect Tim will work his usual excellent precision with them. I've been thoroughly satisfied with Tim's previous work he's done for me.
    Last edited by Larry Gibson; 01-02-2020 at 11:56 AM.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Buddy
    Oh I will certainly shoot this rifle, if it gets too dinged up he will fix it. As to the cost, i believe I paid far less than you guys seem to think I did!!!

Boolit Buddy
    Also, I have never seen factory rifles with wood like that; and I appreciate pretty wood.

Boolit Grand Master

Yes it is very beautiful indeed. I've worked with enough pre-inletted stocks to know you get what you get. Even with pure custom individually made stocks one can always find some inletting or finishing "defects" if one is critical enough but then who cares. Jevyod has a very fine looking custom rifle that he likes (I like it too!) and that's all that matters.
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    I haven't had any work done by Tim but I have used several of the Richards stocks. All of them have their little flaws, probably because I got them all from their closeout/sale list. Still much better than most of the stuff you see on factory stocks.

Nice looking rifle!

Boolit Master
    It was a huge loss when he left this forum. He was always willing to assist with thorough thought out answers. His presence is missed here
    "It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees" Looking for an RCBS Ammomaster and H&R shotgun barrels regardless of condition

Boolit Buddy
    Agreed! I would often talk reloading with him when he called about the gun.

Boolit Master

THANK you for sharing this
    Looking forward to the range report
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Boolit Master
    neat gun, and it will shoot for sure. I miss his input here and nobody thats come on since he left has the quality input he gave(thats from my perspective).
    Look twice, shoot once.

The floor plate is beautiful, as is the wood grain. That is a beautiful rifle. Larry G is spot on about you get what you get with semi inletted stocks- sometimes better to leave a small gap than a very obvious repair. I'm shade tree at best - but I've held Best grade English side by sides and thought to myself " I dont like that little detail".
    One man's pudding is another man's Creme Brulee!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

Thank you for the kind words Jevyod. This rifle is the best to date in terms of sheer bench hours. Your patience is commendable and you deserve to own this magnificent rifle.
    Roadie is correct. The inletting leaves much to be desired, but as RustyReel pointed out, When it's delivered with such obvious defects and wood is missing, your options are limited. Its dishonest in my opinion to hide imperfections unless you can totally remove them. Wood filler is a double insult. "Yeah, it's not right. Yeah i didn't have the skill to fix it. Yeah I tried it anyway and biffed it." I chose to let it be. There are far worse defects on rifles that cost 10 times as much.
    All in all, this rifle points and shoots like a fine shotgun. The lines are classic and the precision is there. I'm pretty proud of it in spite of the obvious "Richards" fingerprint.

Boolit Grand Master

I'm also very pleased with the Laser engraving. This was the first "Pre-bluing" graphic I've tried and I thought it came out perfect. I'll be using that trick a lot in the future.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast