ADvertise hereRepackboxInline FabricationLee Precision
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWideners

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 223 load with BLC2

I have used BL-C2 as my standard load in Rem 722 in 222 with 55gr bullets for years. I don’t do ARs but I have a #3 Ruger 223 that I load 26.5gr of BL-C2 / 55gr Hornady SX at 3100fps.

Boolit Master

It is a good powder for the caliber, but every gun and bullet is different, so you need to test it and determine what works for you.

BTW. I ended up settling on Varget for .223 and .308 because it is not only an accurate powder but one of the least temperature sensitive. I wanted something that would work between -25 and 100 degrees as that is what my conditions can be. Not sure how important temperature sensitivity is in the real world but more consistency is not going to hurt. Plus my most accurate load in the .308 is right at maximum when I tested it at 50 degrees.
    Last edited by dverna; 01-08-2020 at 12:15 PM. Reason: added comment on Varget
    Don Verna

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Forrest r View Post
    +1^^^^^^^ 25.5gr to 26.0gr of bl-c2 with 52gr/55gr bullets
    reloader #15 with 77gr bullets
    varget with 80gr bullets
    Jniedbalski, My pet load is just about the same as Forrest r posted. I pour 25.5gr of mil surp BLC2 to push a XM193 (in 556nato) about 2900fps out of a 1:9 barrel
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If someone has a gun and is trying to kill you, it would be reasonable to shoot back with your own gun.
    ― The Dalai Lama, Seattle Times, May 2001

Older Mini-14 with 1-7 twist does much better with 70 grain powder coat bullet pushed by around 22 - 24 grains of varget than it does with 55 grain store bought. Have heard that the 1-9 twist works better with the lower weights than the faster 1-7 twist they used briefly back when. Since OP mentions both twist rates I thought the Mini-14 results would be pertinent.

BLC(2) worked "ok" but ammo was not under shade on a hot day and the loads recoil got hotter as the ammo temperature got hotter. Varget rounds sitting right next the BLC(2) ammo didn't change a bit. Really highlighted what "temperature sensitive" was all about. After working though some loads I bought an 8# jug of Varget. The BLC(2) will either load small batches of other rifle calibers as others have pointed out it works well in, bolt guns where a quick run with the reloading press will allow me to load for current seasonal weather.
    Je suis Charlie
    Scrap.... because all the really pithy and emphatic four letter words were taken and we had to describe this way of getting casting material somehow.
    Feedback page http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...light=RogerDat I do trade a bit from time to time.

Boolit Buddy
    I used BL(C) for several years in both 223 and 308 for my ARs. Now I use CFE223 and like it a little better. My AR with the Match Barrel I only use Varget and the 69gr SMK.

Boolit Master
    I've abandoned it for the same reasons as Larry, Varget is what I use the most these days. But if I run across some Blc for great price I'd more than likely jump on it!

Boolit Master
    I have been using it with no issues.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12