RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2Lee Precision
Wideners Snyders Jerky

Thread: What should I do?

What should I do?

Three months before he died my brother bought one of the twenty pound LEE bottom pour pots. I was with him at the Saxet gun show here in San Antonio where he bought it brand new in the box, never used. We tried everything we could, according to the instructions, to get it from leaking. I am not talking a little drop here and there, I am talking empty the pot in 10 seconds type leak. We turned, twisted, everything that has always worked with the ten pound pots. This was a very dangerous situation. I have tried since his death to see if I could do something about the leak, but no luck.

I am looking for some serious ideas here. I have contacted LEE and have heard nothing back from them. I have always liked LEE stuff, my brother bought nothing but LEE reloading dies, and I received two LEE molds for Christmas.

SERIOUS ANSWERS ONLY!

ACC

Boolit Master
    Leaking through the spout or around it? All the time or intermittently?

With the pot empty, does it feel or do you see full range of movement in the seat rod, the lifting mechanism and in the adjustment screw?

For slow leaks I've seen advice here to turn the seat rod into the valve with some valve grinding compound to mate the surfaces better, but if the pot is emptying as fast as you say, either the valve has something that blocks it open or the pot is leaking directly.

I don't know why Lee hasn't been answering (maybe the holidays?): they've been responsive to me (I called in directly, not email). You probably already know that they will replace broken parts once each for free. If you give them a few more days, another call with a detailed explanation may get you new parts or a new pot.

Boolit Buddy
    First off, sorry to hear about your brother. Second, have you looked to see if there was anything holding the pin off of its seat? The only thing I can think of would be something keeping the pin lifted up or there is a part missing. My shop is north of Rolling Oaks Mall. If you can't get a better answer and figure it out PM me and I'll take a look. No guarantees, I may throw up my hands and say no idea.

I think Lee is being slow to respond due to the holidays. They are normally very responsive. Keep after them... I’ve been using Lee stuff for 30 years, and I’ve never had a bad customer experience with them.

Just a suggestion when you get a new replacement... Don’t do anything to the pot before putting lead in it. Then after you melt your first time, don’t ever let the pot get low on lead, and don’t ever drain it. Ever. Just keep adding alloy.

I’ve been using my current Lee furnace for four years. I cast at least 25,000 rounds per year, so I’m over 100k boolits cast through that furnace, and it has never dripped.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Pull the nozzle out and look for a burr or something keeping it from seating.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Quote Originally Posted by AggieEE View Post
    First off, sorry to hear about your brother. Second, have you looked to see if there was anything holding the pin off of its seat? The only thing I can think of would be something keeping the pin lifted up or there is a part missing. My shop is north of Rolling Oaks Mall. If you can't get a better answer and figure it out PM me and I'll take a look. No guarantees, I may throw up my hands and say no idea.
    Let me see if LEE answers after the holidays and I will get back to you. OK?

ACC
    BTW Where is your shop. MY wife teaches out that way.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Three months before he died my brother bought one of the twenty pound LEE bottom pour pots. I was with him at the Saxet gun show here in San Antonio where he bought it brand new in the box, never used. We tried everything we could, according to the instructions, to get it from leaking. I am not talking a little drop here and there, I am talking empty the pot in 10 seconds type leak. We turned, twisted, everything that has always worked with the ten pound pots. This was a very dangerous situation. I have tried since his death to see if I could do something about the leak, but no luck.

I am looking for some serious ideas here. I have contacted LEE and have heard nothing back from them. I have always liked LEE stuff, my brother bought nothing but LEE reloading dies, and I received two LEE molds for Christmas.

SERIOUS ANSWERS ONLY!

ACC
    Call Lee ! Don’t rely on email ! Call and speak to a person I’ve never had an issue when I’ve called Lee
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Grand Master

Like the others, I expect something is missing or out of adjustment to leak that bad. A careful examination or maybe a comparison with another pot may reviel whats wrong. Maybe you will hear back from Lee soon.

Boolit Grand Master

A lot of businesses , mine included , close from before Christmas until after New Years ... the whole place shuts down for two weeks . Don't give up on them just yet . There is some kind of obvious problem with the pot and they will fix it ... just let get back into the shop .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"