MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataRepackboxRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingWidenersLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Standing Boolits Up

Boolit Grand Master

For those long 6.5mm bullets a block of aluminum 1/2" thick 3" wide and the length you want along with some aluminum tig rods in 3/32 dia. Drill so there are 3 rods 1/2"- 3/4" long evenly spaced around each bullet.

Tools needed for this are drill press, 3/32 drill bit, center punch, pointed dividers, 6" file. lay out ink or marker, combination square, scribe.
    Deburr the aluminum plate. this makes it easier to handle
    Coat plate with layout ink.
    With the square and scribe lay out a line 1" from end and a second down center length wise.
    Set dividers to 3/4" lay start at center line intersection and work each way down lines these are the center holes for the bullets.
    When all is right here lightly center punch the spots.
    Now set dividers to .215 and mark circles for rods dias. this is 1/2 a bullet dia , 1/2 the rid dia and .015 for clearance. Draw these circles on each spot. you will end up with a
    circle .430.
    Here's where the dividers really shine by trial ad error set to "divide" the circle into 3 sections. start at the long lines and circle intersection. Lay out each circle.
    Center punch each spot so the drill starts easily on location. be accurate here.
    in the drill press drill the holes 3/4 of the way thru the plate.
    Cut the tig wire into 3/4" lengths and lightly drive into holes or glue in.

The 3 fingers formed will hold the bullets up right and allow for heat and flow around them. They will make setting bullets in and taking them out easier. An option would be to drill the center of the 3 fingers out to 3/16" for a rod to push bullets out if needed.

MOA is a angular measurement. roughly 1 minute of a degree. Which is 1 .062XXX at 100yds it is not a constant as being angular it changes with distance. Roughly figured minute of angle is 1" at 100 yds, 2" at 200yds, 3" at 300 yds or when closer 1/2" at 50yds. It is a vee or funnel shape starting at the firing point and growing as the distance increases.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by cwlongshot View Post
    I beg to differ Charlie. MOA is minute of angle and its a 100 yard distance.

If general “MOA” statement is made its assumed its 100 yards. But if someone specified MOA @ X yardage, that 1” is moved to that distance. IE 1” @ 300 and 1” @ 600.

Sumantics maybe but I need to explain why I posted what I did questioning your definitions.

Thats is some very impressive accuracy and shooting for sure!

CW
    Thanks.

You are correct MOA is an angle, "Minute of Angle" as in one minute. One MOA is 1/60 of a degree (degree, minute, second) and is commonly used in navigation (at the equator 1MOA or arcminute is 1 nautical mile). If you measure 1/60 of a degree out to 100yd the arc covers 1.047". At 1000yd that same angle arc is 10.47".

Here is an explantion of sorts
    https://www.nssf.org/shooting/minute-angle-moa/

PS sorry for the rehash

Boolit Grand Master

After some thought, The above would be easier to take them out off the fixture, but more work drilling all the holes. You might be able to find a stock spring with an inside dia of .275 the length needed then it would only be drilling one hole the Od of the spring then pressing and gluing or soldering in. With enough nose sticking out they shouldn't be to hard to remove

Boolit Buddy

I always stand them up, no matter the boolit. I hate ANY imperfection from cooking them in a basket in a huge gob. I use a piece of 16 or 14 ga. (1/16") aluminum covered with non stick foil. carry the tray like its nitro gliserine! then and only then they are truly beautiful!

You can build a jig with wire screen that is larger than bullet dia. Just set the screen up on some metal nuts & place the bullets in base first.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

MOA at different ranges.

I've stood all my bullets from day one. My trays are fairly heavy duty and I keep my trays close to the toaster so I don't have to move far and I move slow, good flat bullet bases make a world of différance keeping the bullets balanced during the move to the toaster oven.

Banned
    I didn't see mention of sizing after PCing. I would assume the guys that are getting accuracy are sizing after baking?

Quote Originally Posted by Traffer View Post
    I didn't see mention of sizing after PCing. I would assume the guys that are getting accuracy are sizing after baking?
    I usually size my bullets after coating. On occasion, I have a few bullet designs where the PC make installing the gas check a bit of a pain after coating, for those I apply the gas check before coating and size again afterwards. The PC stick to the copper checks just fine.

Boolit Master
    Yes, size after coating.

Boolit Master

Always size last.

Sometimes GC first sometimes not. IMHO better results GC before PC. Yes pc sticks just fine to a GC.

CW
    NRA Life member • REMEMBER, FREEDOM IS NOT FREE its being paid for in BLOOD.
    Come visit my RUMBLE & uTube page's !!

https://www.RUMBLE.com/user/Cwlongshot
    https://youtube.com/channel/UCBOIIvlk30qD5a7xVLfmyfw

Banned

baking cooling rack and no most PC's won't stick IF you knock off the excess

Everybody knows that you get guaranteed bullseyes with stood up casts...it's a result of the extra love and care put into them in their creation.

This little ice cube tray does a fine job on the 30 & 32 calibers and does not leave even the slightest mark, this is outstanding for those of us that are blessed with a little extra 'OCD'!

Go for it ... if it pleases you, then that's all that matters!

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Banned
    OCD is not a bad thing when pursuing precision.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Conditor22 View Post

baking cooling rack and no most PC's won't stick IF you knock off the excess

This is what I use as well.

Boolit Master

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	A5AE9A23-9A2A-4F51-9555-4EB32E1948A8.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	160.3 KB 
ID:	256024Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FA1F0083-B5C9-4668-9EB1-CA2CA4171B1F.jpeg 
Views:	28 
Size:	95.3 KB 
ID:	256025Click image for larger version. 

Name:	D36B46B0-6BB8-4AA9-84CE-215AD871E334.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	74.9 KB 
ID:	256030

Not me I just dump them In a basket and bake.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	E100C7A5-D6FA-4240-BC2A-70B4F6C81A04.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	64.6 KB 
ID:	256027Click image for larger version. 

Name:	248B2944-B299-4ABD-98FC-4881BF1DE313.jpeg 
Views:	24 
Size:	133.1 KB 
ID:	256028Click image for larger version. 

Name:	6CCE1AD3-9A39-4D7D-99B0-A1DD92D84C2C.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	55.8 KB 
ID:	256029

They come out just fine!

CW

Boolit Buddy
    if they are gas check designs, it's easy. i took a piece of pegboard, measured the size shank of whatever caliber i was coating, and enlarged each hole in the pegboard to be about 2 thousands over the shank size. then, just cover the pegboard with non stick foil, press the bullets into the holes, spray, and bake. when you put on the gas check and run them through the sizer, any extra pc that comes off of the foil gets knocked off and the coating is perfect. BUT, that method is slow and tedious. now, i just cast them, size and place the gas check, shake and bake on wax paper. if they get too big, just size them again. it's WAY faster than spraying, and i don't waste any powder. i have not noticed any change in accuracy between the two methods, so i'll never go back to spraying again. and, i do shoot to 600 yds with milsurps that are capable of that accuracy. NOT MOA at 600, but what milsurps are?
    BTW, anybody want to buy a pc gun (WELL used)?

I use wire mesh on top of a shallow alum pan to hold my 6.5 bullets for PC.
    EVERY GOOD SHOOTER NEEDS TO BE A HANDLOADER.
    NRA Cert. Inst. Met. Reloading & Basic Pistol

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Everybody knows that you get guaranteed bullseyes with stood up casts...it's a result of the extra love and care put into them in their creation.

This little ice cube tray does a fine job on the 30 & 32 calibers and does not leave even the slightest mark, this is outstanding for those of us that are blessed with a little extra 'OCD'!

Go for it ... if it pleases you, then that's all that matters!

What size is the ice cube tray? I bought one recently but the cubes were way to small for 30 cals.

Boolit Master

IIRC you want a 160pc ice cube tray.

It works fine to 35 cal. Try Amazon or Ebay. Should be under 10$ for a couple silicone
    Trays.

Quote Originally Posted by jsanch03 View Post
    What size is the ice cube tray? I bought one recently but the cubes were way to small for 30 cals.
    a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast