Inline FabricationLee PrecisionSnyders JerkyTitan Reloading
MidSouth Shooters SupplyRotoMetals2WidenersReloading Everything
Load Data Repackbox
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I think John Browning hates me.

Boolit Grand Master

I think John Browning hates me.

Lately I have had nothing but trouble with my Browning-designed pistols. My first issue was with a Husqvarna 1907 that I had recently purchased. Initially, The thumb safety was malfunctioning. You could pull the trigger while the weapon was on safe, and the hammer would fall when you took the safety off. Not good.

Well, being a certified shade-tree mechanic, gunsmith, and general jack of all trades and master of none, I thought to myself that I could easily disassemble the pistol, locate the problem, and put everything back together with no difficulty whatsoever.

Ha, I say. Ha ha. Every part was interconnected like some steel version of Milton Bradley’s Mousetrap game. Anyone with 4 arms and at least that many hands could no doubt do the trick in a paltry few minutes. Sadly, I have only two old, weak-dare I say puny-ones. There followed several hours of manipulation, cogitation, frustration and more contemplation, interspersed with some of the vocabulary my drill instructors instilled in me back in the Marine Corps. I got it back together finally, but now I had another problem.

Now, the hammer was following the slide if the grip safety was depressed when you went to cock it. Back to the Work bench. But first, off to the internet, where I found a delightful You-Tube Video which indicated that you could easily fully disassemble the pistol and reassemble it in 7 minutes 38 seconds.
    After watching it multiple times, stopping and rewinding the video to repeatedly to see how things went together. I realized I was not being true to my heritage.

Man, the tool using animal. I was going to need some help. I am in the midst of packing for my upcoming move to Virginia, so I had most of my tools put away. No help for it, I opened a couple of tubs and dug out a vice, my Sears-copy Dremel tool, and made a trip over to Home Depot for a piece of 3/16’s rod. I proceeded to make a tool, closely resembling Momma’s knitting needle, to serve as a slave pin while the vice and I held things together and reseated the Grip Safety Pin. In a bare 95 minutes I managed to restore the pistol to functioning condition and somehow, along the way, I managed to cure the safety problem.

Filled with pride of accomplishment, I decided to take down my Kimber Custom II for cleaning. The recoil spring plug launched itself into another dimension. I am convinced that the ghost of JB is rolling on the floor somewhere laughing at me.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 12-30-2019 at 11:11 PM. Reason: Autocorrect joins JB IN mocking me
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

I sympathize. I purchased two spare recoil spring plugs as a precaution. One is now in the pistol and I have never found the one I launched.

My first complete 1911 tear down was a very similar situation. First thing that had me crawlin round on the floor was the spring and followers on the safety/slide hold detent.

Next item that had snot rollin was the careful removal of the main spring housing ... mainly that little small pin that holds in the Aligator tough main spring that somehow jettisoned itself clear across the room and nestled itself under a pile of rags that completely defy all intelligence as to how it burrowed under them.

Be of good cheer my friend. The genius of JB did not rub off on me either

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by tazman View Post
    I sympathize. I purchased two spare recoil spring plugs as a precaution. One is now in the pistol and I have never found the one I launched.
    I have two on order right now, so that the one I lost will sense their arrival and come out of hiding to join the herd.
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    My new Springfield 1911 I have taken appart three times just to see how it works. Only minimum take down ,slide off barrel and spring out. Taking appart was easy but the putting it back together was fun. I probably shot the spring plug across the room at least 10 times and that was the first time I put it back together. By the third time of tacking it appart ism down to only 3 or 4 times now of losing it to put it back together.

Boolit Master
    The Jesus spring. You shout JESUS when it launches for parts unknown.
    QUIS CUSTODIET IPSOS CUSTODES?

Boolit Master

Dang, and here all this time I thought it was just me!

I have decided to build a special room in my house for working on firearms.
    When inside, the walls and floor must have no cracks or crevices for small parts to fall into. The walls must be soft. Maybe covered in a very short carpet in order for flying parts to contact and then drop to the floor.
    The color must be a very light color that reflects light and all the loose parts will contrast and be easily seen.
    Most of all, it must be sound proof so that when I scream in frustration, nobody knows but me.

Boolit Master

I once bought a 1911 in a box for 60 dollars. It was a bunch of mismatched pieces of different manufactures. I took it to a guy who was reputed to be a "master" with the 1911 type handgun.
    I told him the history of the gun as he looked it over. He put it together right there in about 10-12 minutes using a few parts of his own.
    We went behind his garage and fired 3-4 magazines through it without a hitch. He charged me $10 for his time and ammo.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Banned
    Take an original Remington Model 51 apart and you will gain a new respect for Swiss watch makers and gunsmiths.

rintinglen - what part of Virginia are you headed to?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Take an original Remington Model 51 apart and you will gain a new respect for Swiss watch makers and gunsmiths.

rintinglen - what part of Virginia are you headed to?
    I have a 95% + 32acp Model 51 I purchased in an old pawn shop 20 years ago. You are correct about them being tricky. I got all of the 75 year old caked oil out of it, relubed it, prayed, then reassembled. The prayers worked. Part of my prayer was if I were allowed to get it back together, I'd never attempt it again. I have kept my part of the bargain. Fine little pistol that will remain unfired by me even though it is in fantastic shape.

I've launched at least a half dozen springs across the room, and somehow managed to find everyone! So far.

Moderator Emeritus

I put an Apex trigger in my M&P 45c. Had everything all played out on a sheet; wasn't gonna get me this time. Had my iPad out with video showing me everything I needed to know. Lost a pin. Looked everywhere still no good. Impossible with how everything was arranged. Gave up and walked away with my iPad and there it was stuck on the cover's magnet. Duh.

Banned
    I once lost a tiny spring plunger to a Colt Mustang. Spent about 30 minutes looking for it, give up and made a replacement. While installing the replacement I looked down and spotted the original on the floor. I swear it was playing hide & seek with me.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DHDeal View Post
    I have a 95% + 32acp Model 51 I purchased in an old pawn shop 20 years ago. You are correct about them being tricky. I got all of the 75 year old caked oil out of it, relubed it, prayed, then reassembled. The prayers worked. Part of my prayer was if I were allowed to get it back together, I'd never attempt it again. I have kept my part of the bargain. Fine little pistol that will remain unfired by me even though it is in fantastic shape.
    I had one in 380. Remarkable old school pistol. Mine would digest FMJ but I couldn't find a HP that would reliably feed. I reluctantly had to let it go in a trade for a more modern pistol (SIG P230) which at the time was the logical move. Wish I still had the Remington but I doubt I would ever have detail stripped it a second time ! Once was enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Hickory View Post
    I once bought a 1911 in a box for 60 dollars. It was a bunch of mismatched pieces of different manufactures. I took it to a guy who was reputed to be a "master" with the 1911 type handgun.
    I told him the history of the gun as he looked it over. He put it together right there in about 10-12 minutes using a few parts of his own.
    We went behind his garage and fired 3-4 magazines through it without a hitch. He charged me $10 for his time and ammo.
    A nice guy that deserved his reputation, I’d say!

Boolit Grand Master
    I will be residing in the city of Orange, in the county of Orange, roughly 20 miles south west of Fredericksburg. I had thought that I was moving back to America but it seems that Bloomberg and his fellow libs bought the legislature and the Governorship. Who knows now. Still it will take a while for them to screw over gun owners as badly as we have been here in California.

Boolit Grand Master
    If you are a recoil spring plug launcher one can always take it down, at least, via removing the slide stop first and leaving the plug in place.

For reassembly no joy there. Gotta compress the spring and put the plug in last.

When doing that I do it in a room with fewer places for the plug to hide which is, oddly enough, the bathroom with the door closed. Don’t let any family members see you taking a 45 pistol in the bathroom. Just a bit of been there, done that advice.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by rintinglen View Post
    I will be residing in the city of Orange, in the county of Orange, roughly 20 miles south west of Fredericksburg. I had thought that I was moving back to America but it seems that Bloomberg and his fellow libs bought the legislature and the Governorship. Who knows now. Still it will take a while for them to screw over gun owners as badly as we have been here in California.
    I'm not worried. We have a state Constitution that the weapons clause has not been changed or challenged since originated (prior to the US Constitution) and (believe it or not) laws still on the books that require me to own a firelock, carry it to the fields, be sure to have a sentry, and to carry it to the Church on Sunday (Militia gathering). There is some advantage to being one of the original Colonies! Those have to be dealt with before opposing them is effective. You can be sure there will be a challenge of any law opposing them, and an injunction prevent the enforcement until the Court decides.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

Quote Originally Posted by sparkyv View Post
    I've launched at least a half dozen springs across the room, and somehow managed to find everyone! So far.
    I'm assuming that you never replaced a rear sight blade on a S&W revolver. I launched 5 of those springs across the room & never found a single one.