Inline FabricationSnyders JerkyRotoMetals2Reloading Everything
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRepackboxLoad Data
MidSouth Shooters Supply Wideners

Thread: Any Savage experts?

Boolit Buddy

Any Savage experts?

I have an old Savage 110 in 7mm Rem Mag,and I am thinking of replacing the synthetic stock with a wooden one.I have been looking at some,and will probably be ordering one from Numrich. The one I'm considering comes in two versions,one is listed like this "Savage 110G Magnum(heavier barrel channel)"..Mine does not appear to be very heavily barreled,but is pretty thick down toward the barrel nut,and then tapers like a normal sport contour.The side of the barrel just reads Savage 110 with no G,but when I took the stock off I did notice the letter G stamped on the bottom of the barrel down by the barrel nut..I am kinda thinking that I need the 110G Magnum stock,but I want to be as sure as possible,and figure some of you may be able to shed some light on the situation..I thank you.
    Last edited by Elroy; 12-30-2019 at 06:50 PM.

Boolit Master
    To be sure you could ask over here.

https://www.savageshooters.com/forum...-Series-Rifles

Boolit Buddy
    Why don't you call Numrich with these questions?

Or check out Boyd’s.
    Savage made a lot of blind mag/ floorplate/ detachable mag 110s so that’s where you start your search-mag type and action length. Numrich had some nice factory wood stocks- especially the 114US walnut. Some wood stocks may take different length guard screws than the plastic stocks.
    Last edited by Texas by God; 12-30-2019 at 09:28 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd N. View Post
    Why don't you call Numrich with these questions?
    I did call,but the guy I talked to just asked for the item number,and read the same info as me,and really knew nothing more than what I know..I have done a little more research,and now from what I gather the G just means wood stock model,and it may just be a coincidence that the bottom of my barrel is stamped with a G..Here is the stock in question https://www.gunpartscorp.com/products/1050750A

G series had a checkered wood stock.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

If your rifle has the blind mag, #1050740A may be what you need. It looks like standard barrel channel, not magnum. Good luck.

Boolit Grand Master

That depends on how old. I have one from around 1963 that doesn't seem to interchange on parts with any newer Savage. The triggers different, the bolts different, even the barrel is different, no barrel nut. I believe pre 1968 Savages are incompatible with newer models. I couldn't get a Savage 110 stock to fit on my 110L. If it has a serial number, you should be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by megasupermagnum View Post
    That depends on how old. I have one from around 1963 that doesn't seem to interchange on parts with any newer Savage. The triggers different, the bolts different, even the barrel is different, no barrel nut. I believe pre 1968 Savages are incompatible with newer models. I couldn't get a Savage 110 stock to fit on my 110L. If it has a serial number, you should be ok.
    Can you send pics of that rifle? The older 110s had some differences( including a short lived short action) but the barrel nut is an original feature from the Brewer design of 1958. Any chance your 110L has been rebarreled conventionally sans nut?

Boolit Buddy
    I did some measuring,and took some pictures.The diameter of the barrel is 1.04" inches as soon as it comes through the barrel nut,and .75" inch 6 inches up from the from the first measurment,and .67" inches 6 more inches up from that..I will check out the 114 stocks Texas By God.I thank you all for the good advise.The quarters in the one picture is to give some reference to size.I am starting to think that I don't need the magnum stock,but I would like to be sure before ordering.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2NMxXC6.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	77.0 KB 
ID:	253948Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AP1qq7w.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	63.0 KB 
ID:	253949

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    If your rifle has the blind mag, #1050740A may be what you need. It looks like standard barrel channel, not magnum. Good luck.
    You are right.I called,and talked to a woman from customer service,and she seemed to know a lot.I don't need the heavier barrel channel.She stated that that was for the bull barrels.I made the mistake yesterday of asking the guy on the sales,and order line.I thought he was a little short with me as well,but that was probably my fault for calling so late in the day.It was almost 4:30 PM,and he probably wanted to get home.

I thought he was a little short with me as well,but that was probably my fault for calling so late in the day.

No, he should have transferred you to customer service. Glad you got it worked out though.
    Steve,

Life Member NRA
    Colorado Rifle Club member
    Rocky Mtn Gun Owners member
    NAGR member

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by Texas by God View Post
    Can you send pics of that rifle? The older 110s had some differences( including a short lived short action) but the barrel nut is an original feature from the Brewer design of 1958. Any chance your 110L has been rebarreled conventionally sans nut?
    I can send you some pictures. It has been re-barreled at some point, and is in need of a new barrel again. I just assumed the old 110's didn't have barrel nuts, I could be wrong. Mine is a long action, however the bolts are different. Mine has the original, which was changed in 1964, and again in 1968 which I think is more or less what they still use today. A Savage 110 stock would not fit on mine, mostly due to the trigger area, which again I think was changed in 1968 and used up to the accu-trigger.