RotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationLee PrecisionTitan Reloading
Wideners Load Data
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: automating my Mark IV Ballisti-cast bullet caster need input.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by jmorris View Post
    To people that really know what they are doing, I’m a hack. Lots of folks just say I have too much time on my hands. If it works, that’s the only thing that matters.

Lots of my functional stuff isn’t even painted but I figure that beats something that looks pretty but doesn’t work, every time.
    I think your being modest. The people your talking about "That know what they are doing" will sit and scratch their heads and marvel at the simplicity of your designs. It takes real talent to make something function using the KISS principal. That is what separates the men from the boys.

I spent 20 years in a factory and respected tooling, dies, and fixtures that worked day after day without fault. Some were simple and they never faltered. The complex designs that could have been engineered less complicated never ran as well and you could never count on making it thru a run without having some type of problem.

Banned
    I made two video's on my cell phone but I don't know how to post them. It comes up with a message that they are too large or something along that line. I tried to send them to my email and finally got one to work and not the other. Would like to share the videos with those that are interested in this thread. One video shows operation without lead pour and the other video is of making 124gr round nose 9mm bullets with production rates up to 22 bullets a minute. I didn't want try to go faster even tho I know it will.

Create a YouTube account, is the easiest way I know of then share the link.

Banned
    This is the first video with the solenoid disconnected. Video shows concept of operation. Working on loading the second video. If it doesn't take it I will shoot a new video sometime today and try to post it.

Mark IV is crudely lagged down to the bench as is the gear reduction motor. I got tired of trying to find a piece of scrap metal to bolt the units to. My intent was to bolt things down correctly but I simply had to run it to see how good it would operate. The second video when posted will show the capability of the machine to easily reach 24 bullets a minute with the ability to go faster but with common sense applied 24 seems to be as fast as I safely want to push it. It has reached my dream goal and that is the simple operation of making bullets without my shoulder aching for a week afterwards.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ux4Q...ature=youtu.be
    Last edited by 6bg6ga; 03-02-2020 at 11:15 AM.

Boolit Grand Master
    A few years ago, I saw a video of a guy (German IIRC) who had adapted a gear motor to a MasterCaster. He did a nice job and I always thought that would be the way to go. Much higher cost air cylinders but having no compressor would be advantageous. Wishing you luck on your design and watching with interest.

I am with you about Mr Morrris. Anyone calling him a hack is to be ignored. I worked in manufacturing and product development; and would have loved having him on our team.
    Don Verna

Banned
    Mr. Morris is a genius or close to it. I'm of the impression that skill is needed to simplify the concept and operation. I spent 20 years on the factory floor and very seldom do you get to see real talent emerge. A lot of people when it comes down to it can make something but making it simple and easy is another story. I salute Mr. Morris for everything he has shared with this forum and especially the time he devotes to helping others when it would have been simpler to walk away. Having him tell me to continue I will get it was an immense help as it provided the motivation to make it work.

Thank you, for the kind words.

Looks like you’ve got it figured out, if you look up on the tool bar above the words you type, on the right is the quote icon and right next to it is one that looks like 35mm film reel. Click on that one and it will bring up another tab, that says insert video clip. Paste the YouTube link there and hit OK and it will embed it in your post.

Like this.

Last edited by jmorris; 03-02-2020 at 10:50 AM.

I saw a video of a guy (German IIRC) who had adapted a gear motor to a MasterCaster.
    That’s the way I went when I built my casting machine. The host I originally posted video on doesn’t exist anymore but I uploaded one to YouTube a few years back.

Boolit Master

Great thread and I like the build. I have been contemplating build a new master caster that would use three or four molds. Seems that it would not be that difficult if one has the time and necessary tools.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123