WidenersTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionRepackboxReloading EverythingLoad Data
RotoMetals2 MidSouth Shooters Supply

Thread: Solvent trap of home made silencer?

Banned

Solvent trap of home made silencer?

file:///C:/Users/spare/Pictures/Solvent%20Traps%20are%20LEGAL!%20-%20Quietbore.com.html

Solvent Traps are LEGAL!

Some people are nervous about owning a solvent trap to clean firearms. Those who feel this way obviously just want to make sure they are abiding by the law, but with a little research into the facts they will find it is 100 percent legal to own a solvent trap to clean your firearms.

Again, it is 100 percent legal to own a solvent trap kit to clean your firearms.

The BATF, Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms, considers a solvent trap a “Firearm Accessory.” The BATF recognizes that a Solvent Trap can be attached to the end of the barrel, with an adapter, as a cleaning accessory and is not considered as anything other than an accessory because a projectile, or bullet, cannot pass through the tube without modification. This means the solvent traps can be purchased and sold without any paperwork or an NFA tax stamp. You do not need a Form 1 to purchase a Solvent Trap.

However if you turn a solvent trap into a Suppressor without filing and receiving back an approved Form 1 you are committing a crime that could be punishable as a felony.

You must have the tax stamp in hand before making any modifications. Failure to do so is a violation of Federal Law. We are not responsible for your actions should you fail to do this and we DO NOT recommend or condone ANY modifications to our products.

So long as your solvent trap continues to be used to catch cleaning fluids and debris, you are completely legal without concern.As a solvent trap owner, you are solely responsible for what you do with your solvent trap. If you do decide to modify the trap for anything but a cleaning aid, it is a strong recommendation you read and follow the BATF regulations on NFA items. Please see ATF Eform 1 Electronic Guide for any other help to apply for a form one or read any BATF regulations on NFA items.

Any truth to this?

Banned
    Any truth to what?

We need a very specific question.

The people selling "solvent traps" just want to trade a product for your money. I put "solvent traps" in quotes because I don't think anyone in the history of firearm's maintenance has ever needed a "solvent trap".

Suppressors need a tax stamp. I guess "solvent traps" do not need a tax stamp but do you really need a "solvent trap" or are you just spending your money to get as close to a felony as possible without committing a felony?

It's your money and the people selling "solvent traps" are just trying to get your money. They are more than happy to sell you a collection of parts.

Are "solvent traps" suppressors ? - No
    Are you really buying it because you want a "solvent trap"? - probably not

It's your money, let your conscience be your guide.

Banned
    I just posed a question since I have heard/seen things to the contrary. I know of one individual that ordered a solvent trap only to have it stopped by customs and the individual receiving a letter telling him he had ordered a suppressor and was in violation of XYZ. I was helping at one gun show a year ago and a gentleman stocked a table with solvent traps only to be shut down about 3 hours later. Now, granted there are probably limited usages for the product but from my research it would seem that a lot of folks are purchasing them filling out form 1 papers and getting their tax stamps rather quickly.

As for other uses they work well have observed this for cleaning out small engine carbs. Its as simple as disconnecting the gas line from the tank attaching it to the solvent tank that contains a fuel/cleaner with a slight amount of pressure behind the fuel starting the engine and running the cleaner thru the engine(let the engine burn it).

Any truth to what you ask? Simple ... Are they legal to purchase and own if you don't convert them without paperwork. If they are legal why did my friends solvent trap end up in customs limbo? Or is it up to the customs officer to stop anything they think is questionable?

Banned
    There is a lot of gray area out there. The ATF from what I am told can prosecute if you have product on hand that can be made into a suppressor. I happen to have a round bar of 6061T6 aluminum and if I was inclined I could machine it into a silencer. So that by their definition would make me subject to prosecution?

Boolit Master

Oil filter on a muzzle adapter is a lot cheaper if intent is solvent trap, but haven't heard of anyone who traps dirty solvent in an expensive gadget other than those waiting for a Form 1 or really passionate environmentalists. I really doubt the latter.
    Pricey tubes with muzzle attachments, blank endcap & freezeplugs/cones/baffles sold as solvent traps are no different than 80% receivers. They scratch an itchy demand within the fine line between felony & ATF interpretation.
    Remember bumpstocks?
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

Banned
    6bg6ga wrote - "Any truth to what you ask? Simple ... Are they legal to purchase and own if you don't convert them without paperwork. If they are legal why did my friends solvent trap end up in customs limbo? Or is it up to the customs officer to stop anything they think is questionable? "

Let's try to keep this to ONE question, Please.

Are they legal to purchase and own if you don't convert them without paperwork (?)
    - I think this depends on what "They" means in that question. An oil filter? A collection of freeze plugs?
    An unregistered suppressor ?

If they are legal why did my friends solvent trap end up in customs limbo? - Ask your friend why he needed to buy a "solvent trap" from an overseas company and have it shipped into the U.S.A. ? I'm highly skeptical of your friend's story and motivation.

is it up to the customs officer to stop anything they think is questionable?
    - It is the duty of customs officials to enforce the laws of our nation. They don't make the laws, they enforce them. The officer isn't being arbitrary when he/she stops something from entering the country. They only get 1 chance to stop something questionable at the point of entry. The customs official must make that call and somebody else can then take the time to evaluate that call. You can't blame the officer making that call.
    Last edited by Petrol & Powder; 02-28-2020 at 10:41 AM.

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    6bg6ga wrote - "Any truth to what you ask? Simple ... Are they legal to purchase and own if you don't convert them without paperwork. If they are legal why did my friends solvent trap end up in customs limbo? Or is it up to the customs officer to stop anything they think is questionable? "

Let's try to keep this to ONE question, Please.

Are they legal to purchase and own if you don't convert them without paperwork (?)

- I think this depends on what "They" means in that question. An oil filter? A collection of freeze plugs?
    An unregistered suppressor ?

Solvent Traps are legal, so are aluminum tubes, oil filters, freeze plugs etc; but that does not mean that some LEO can't try and make an issue of it, but in most of these cases it is an add-on charge, there had already been a bigger crime involved.

If they are legal why did my friends solvent trap end up in customs limbo? - Ask your friend why he needed to buy a "solvent trap" from an overseas company and have it shipped into the U.S.A. ? I'm highly skeptical of your friend's story and motivation.

is it up to the customs officer to stop anything they think is questionable?
    - It is the duty of customs officials to enforce the laws of our nation. They don't make the laws, they enforce them. The officer isn't being arbitrary when he/she stops something from entering the country. They only get 1 chance to stop something questionable at the point of entry. The customs official must make that call and somebody else can then take the time to evaluate that call. You can't blame the officer making that call.
    Customs has stopped billet molds if I am not mistaken.
    When I heard that they may pass the Hearing Protection Act, I purchased supplies to make my own. All the supplies have other uses, so if it does not pass, so be it; but I refuse to pay a "tax" for hearing protection. There is a risk when buying certain gun related things, I don't get all worked up wondering if something will become illegal some time in the future, I will cross that road when it gets here. I had no use for a bump-stock, so didn't get affected by this, though now they are in a bit of limbo since ATF has acknowledged that they don't have the power to make them illegal. Same with the AR lowers, seems there is a legal issue concerning their definition under the law, but I am not worried about owning my ARs.
    "Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it."
    ~Pericles~

Boolit Master

Bumpstocks are illegal per Federal Law based on POTUS EO & courts shut down lawsuits to repel it.
    Prior to this, ATF issued numerous docs saying their legal making them available commercially.
    One ******* massacred hundreds using one in LV & made 200,000 felons overnight.
    Stamped Form 1 in hand for DIY solvent trap conversions doesn't guarantee that the next POTUS with a strike of a pen can make it, or anything for that matter, illegal to possess. That's the dangerous precedent that this issue has created.
    ...Speak softly & carry a big stick...

According to an ATF spokeswoman, solvent traps are not illegal. But if a trap has parts that the ATF deems are “intended” to make the device function as a silencer, it must be identified as such, and appropriately regulated.

Banned
    Without getting too far bogged down in another topic, ATF's position on bumpstocks is contingent on the court's ruling.
    Here's the part the plaintiff's left out of their reporting (and this is directly from their own brief) :
    "ATF’s present argument also mean that IF this Court decides that the Final Rule is legislative, ATF has conceded that is was promulgated without any lawful “authority” and is therefore void."
    Notice the word "IF" in that sentence. ATF only concedes they lack authority IF the court rules against them.
    Even though many pro-bumpstock fans are claiming ATF conceded something, they are only reporting a half-truth. ATF's concession is contingent on the court's ruling.

Here's the source: https://nclalegal.org/wp-content/upl...-Circuit-1.pdf

And by the way, that's a interlocutory appeal brief and hardy the end of that civil case. THAT IS NOT A FINAL ORDER
    An interlocutory appeal in a civil case is an appeal of some ruling by the court by one of the parties- while the case is still being tried.
    So don't put a lot of weight on some plaintiff claiming the ATF has admitted something.

Banned
    Lets get back to 6bg6ga's "friend" who purchased a ........I guess......."solvent trap" from an off-shore source????

It appears his "friend" didn't receive that "solvent trap" and it is inferred that the items were held at a border crossing by U.S. Customs.

If that's the case, his "friend" suffered an injury in the form of a monetary loss. He now wants sympathy for that self-inflicted injury.

Maybe that was an inexpensive lesson that only cost some money and didn't involve an arrest on a felony charge.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Petrol & Powder View Post
    Lets get back to 6bg6ga's "friend" who purchased a ........I guess......."solvent trap" from an off-shore source????

It appears his "friend" didn't receive that "solvent trap" and it is inferred that the items were held at a border crossing by U.S. Customs.

If that's the case, his "friend" suffered an injury in the form of a monetary loss. He now wants sympathy for that self-inflicted injury.

Maybe that was an inexpensive lesson that only cost some money and didn't involve an arrest on a felony charge.
    I don't know if you got up on the wrong side of the bed or someone peed in your coffee. First of all I do not appreciate the purple "friend" comment. I simply posted a thread and you automatically judged me as the offender which is uncalled for and shows a lack of respect I guess I really couldn't consider anything more from you. I personally don't give a rats butt about your personal comments on the solvent trap. Their legal to buy and legal to fill out the form 1 paperwork if one desires to make a silencer out of it. As for the rest of your comments..... I suggest that you judge yourself first before trying to pass judgement on someone you don't know.