RotoMetals2Load DataRepackboxSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationTitan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Wideners Lee Precision

Thread: Lubing Minié Balls

Boolit Buddy

Lubing Minié Balls

Can’t find a sticky on this subject. I have some bees wax and Crisco 50/50 mix left over from a pan lubing experiment. From what I have read, this seems to be similar to a 50/50 beeswax and beef tallow mix. I was going to dip some .58 Minié balls in the mix and not even bother wiping off the extra lube on the bullets before loading. I’m assuming the extra will just peel off when I load the balls in the musket. Am I out of line here? I’ve seen a YouTube video where the N-SSA skirmisher uses a piece of wood with holes drilled in it to skim off excess lube. Curious whether this is for aesthetics or whether it is a better practice to remove the excess. I could understand the removal if making paper cartridges (which I’m not). Thoughts?

Boolit Master

I dip mine and there is a ring of lube left at the muzzle which I just wipe off.

Boolit Buddy
    I'm NSSA, yes, mostly aesthetics, however, it does allow you to recover a bit of lube that would otherwise be lost.
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by Jkrem View Post
    Can’t find a sticky on this subject. I have some bees wax and Crisco 50/50 mix left over from a pan lubing experiment. From what I have read, this seems to be similar to a 50/50 beeswax and beef tallow mix. I was going to dip some .58 Minié balls in the mix and not even bother wiping off the extra lube on the bullets before loading. I’m assuming the extra will just peel off when I load the balls in the musket. Am I out of line here? I’ve seen a YouTube video where the N-SSA skirmisher uses a piece of wood with holes drilled in it to skim off excess lube. Curious whether this is for aesthetics or whether it is a better practice to remove the excess. I could understand the removal if making paper cartridges (which I’m not). Thoughts?
    YOU GOT GO W THAT. oh you do need the mini to be .002 under bore size and be of pure lead. you can get inside outside lubeer from north east trader. (John Dewalt) he also sell sizers
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA