Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad DataMidSouth Shooters Supply
Lee PrecisionInline FabricationRepackboxSnyders Jerky
RotoMetals2 Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading Book Question

Boolit Bub

Reloading Book Question

About to order first reloading set. I don’t anticipate doing thousands, and I’m on a budget, so was planning on Lee Precision Anniversary set. But I’ll have to buy a reloading book to go with it, and looking for one that has data for all of the following:

- 9mm Largo
    - 32 Winchester Special
    - .303 British
    - 7.62 x 54R
    - 6.5 x 55 Swedish

All my other stuff is common calibers.

Anyone recommend on that I can get on Amazon?

Boolit Grand Master
    For the money, I'd stick with the Lee re-load manual. Extensive data available. As time passes, you'll pick up other manuals. They are like pistachios - you can't have just one. It is nice to compare load data from other manuals to make sure everything is in agreement. I use the Lee more often than not even though I have probably 10 others at my bench. You can't go wrong with the Lee.

........ and welcome aboard. You'll like this site, I'm sure.

Boolit Grand Master

Lyman is my favorite but I admit that I posted without looking at mine to verify that the cartridges that you listed are included in it. Like 725 said, most of us have several different ones.

Boolit Buddy
    Get the ABC"s of reloading and the Lyman book, they are the best around.
    Lyman's data is tested not copied like others.
    In time you will collect text's from different authors.
    And for up to date data check the powder mfgr's web sites.

Boolit Master
    Lee kit and book is good .powder manufactures have load lists online or email them they are usually very helpful.don't trust keyboard experts.

Banned
    Don't be afraid to look on eBay for older manuals, especially good for the 9mm Largo.

Or, send me a PM and we can talk older manuals.

Ken

Boolit Mold
    Lyman's 49th edition has all of your calibers except the 9mm Largo.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    Regards
    John

Boolit Buddy
    Both Hodgdon and Western powders have relatively comprehensive loading data available online. I believe Hodgdon has all but the 9mm largo and Western has all but the 9mm largo and 32 Winchester Special. Alliant has some data online but it's kind of thin and not laid out very well in my opinion.

http://www.hodgdonreloading.com/

https://www.ramshot.com/load-data/

http://www.alliantpowder.com/reloaders/
    Last edited by kenton; 12-30-2019 at 01:18 PM.
    quando omni flunkus moritati

Boolit Grand Master

Welcome to the wonderful, oft confusing and frustrating world of reloading!

The Lyman 50th will have data for the cartridges you mention except the 9mm Largo (maybe?). I'm at my desk so I only have two manuals handy. The 9mm Largo is listed in my Speer #13, but not in my Lyman Cast Bullets Handbook #3. I would suggest the Lyman 50th as a first manual. It covers a wider selection of cast bullet and jacketed bullet load data. I found the Lee manual to be an interesting/entertaining read in the first half, but the data is lacking, sketchy, and I don't recommend the manual for a new reloader (except for reading the front half). For a very good text, The ABCs of Reloading is excellent for a new reloader as it explains, simply, nearly all aspects of handloading. I'd tell a new reloader to get the ABCs and the Lyman 50th to start. The ABCs will give a good "factual" start and the Lyman also has a good "How to" section plus a lot of data.

I often share my Rule #1 with newer reloaders; I pay little (no) attention to any forum expert, range rat, gun counter clerk, good intended friend, pet loads website, or gun shop guru for any load data. I get my data from published reloading manuals (except mebbe 2% from on line powder mfg sites and often compare to published info). I also keep good records of all my loads and refer back to them for subsequent loads. Over 35 years experience and never a Kaboom and only one squib.

Go slow, double check everything, and most important, have fun...
    Last edited by mdi; 12-30-2019 at 01:18 PM.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Another vote for the Lee manual, Modern Reloading, second edition. It's great to have multiple manuals, and I'm certain that eventually you will, but for starting with just one I'd recommend the Lee book. Why? Because it has many loads using many powders not found in all or even most manuals, and because it's one of the few that lists the pressures of the various loads. One exception being for Hodgdon powders, which are shown as "N/A" because the company did not supply the information. All of the loads shown in the Lee book were supplied to Lee by the powder companies, and Lee just compiled them into the book. An example of where this can come in handy is that it is usually desirable to keep the pressures down in some older guns while still obtaining good velocity. I load a lot of .30-40 Krag ammunition for Krag rifles, and knowledgeable sources say to keep the pressure below 48,000 psi. I found a load in Lee for a 150 gr. Jacketed bullet using Win. 748 powder providing 2,565 fps. and only generating 37,700 psi. Other manuals give you the name of the powder, the load, and the velocity, but seldom the pressure. 9mm Largo is not included in the book, but .38 Auto ( ACP) is, and information for the two cartridges is usually considered interchangeable. Note: Do not use the information for Super .38 Auto, which is more powerful. The first half of the book is a thorough and comprehensive instruction of most phases of reloading, and by the time you finish reading it you'll be well grounded in the hobby.

Boolit Buddy
    Lee does not have a testing lab as the other book publishers have.
    They just reprint someone else's work.
    Powder and bullet manufacture's spend lots of time and money
    to provide safe published loading data. Go to the maker of the powder or
    bullets first.

They all are good and as long as it has information on the calibers you load , you are set. Personally, the Lyman and Lee books are my favorites. Don’t forget the powder and bullet companies for recipes on the web.

Boolit Bub

Thanks everyone for the advice. I’m overseas right now in one of the “-stans”, so I’ll put in the online order and it abound be there when I get home.

I wish I had the $$ for a Rockchucker, but hopefully the Lee single stage will be good enough for a while.

Thanks again everyone.

Ooops! Big error on my part! The Win. 748 load is for .303 British using a 150 gr. The .30-40 load is for IMR 4831 and produces 29,800 cup. Got to thinking about it, and while patting myself on the back for treating my old Krag so nicely, I caught the mistake.

So, franklin m -- you're in the military? If so, I'd like to buy you a copy of Lee #2 as a gift. I'm always happy when a new reloader is born! PM me your stateside home mailing address, and it will be waiting for you.

The Rockchucker is indeed a good press. I have two--ran across a great sale once upon a time. They've done everything I needed to do, but I use them primarily for rifle cartridges. If you find yourself needing a little more volume than a single state press though, you might look at the Lee turret press. Relatively inexpensive, works well especially for pistol cartridges.

Stay safe over there, and thank you for your service.

DG

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by franklin_m View Post
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I’m overseas right now in one of the “-stans”, so I’ll put in the online order and it abound be there when I get home.

I wish I had the $$ for a Rockchucker, but hopefully the Lee single stage will be good enough for a while.

Thanks again everyone.

Thank you for your service. Take care of yourself.

Boolit Master

Thanks for your service.
    Be careful over there...dale

Boolit Grand Master

Ooops! Big error on my part! The Win. 748 load is for .303 British using a 150 gr. The .30-40 load is for IMR 4831 and produces 29,800 cup. Got to thinking about it, and while patting myself on the back for treating my old Krag so nicely, I caught the mistake.
    With no offense meant to this poster, this is one of the reasons I suggest paying no attention to any load data on any forum on line. Poster made an honest mistake, but I have seen load data posted that was not real safe, like a suggested charge of a Unique that was a full grain over max. This "mistake" stayed on the forum for over 24 hours. I wonder how many new reloaders saw this load and thought it was OK because a member with a high post count said so...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Master
    Rock Chuckers are good, fully as good as any similar single stage press. I started in '65 with a smaller Lyman and it's as useable today as it ever was. About '93 I finally swallowed the green Kool-Aid and bought an RC II, it still functions like new and will last forever ... but so do all other iron presses. However, if I had to replace it tomorrow I'd get a Lee Classic Cast, it's the best press of it's type - at any price - on today's market.

The C.C. is precisely made of iron, it's big enough and strong enough to reload .50 BMG, it handles spent primers cleanly, the lever is fully adjustable to fit the user's needs and ... it's not overly expensive for what you get; what's not to love?

Your Lee press will do everything 99% of reloaders will ever need. Unless you start re-forming cases and swaging bullets it's hardly likely you would ever know any difference if you had an RC. (Ditto for Lee's often maligned dies.)

My Lee loading manual covers more powders than others. Yes, the data IS reprinted (from reputable sources, with permission) but how in the world that's presumed to be less "accurate" than going to the original sources I don't understand. No manual is or ever can be the "gospel" truth anyway, that's why they all say to start low and work up only if there are no signs of excess pressure. Bottomline, the loader himself is fully responsible for his safety because no manual ever printed can assure that.

Note: Just saw on the web that things are popping around Iraq's embassy today. You keep your head down and know that others are praying for you and your friend's safety.
    Last edited by 1hole; 12-31-2019 at 01:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    With no offense meant to this poster, this is one of the reasons I suggest paying no attention to any load data on any forum on line. Poster made an honest mistake, but I have seen load data posted that was not real safe, like a suggested charge of a Unique that was a full grain over max. This "mistake" stayed on the forum for over 24 hours. I wonder how many new reloaders saw this load and thought it was OK because a member with a high post count said so...
    No offense is taken. BUT--did you notice that a grain amount was not given. ALSO--had I done so, either load is safe in either rifle. AND--I corrected the error, it was not brought to my attention. BUT--your input is correct and appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast