Lee PrecisionLoad DataReloading EverythingRepackbox
WidenersMidSouth Shooters SupplySnyders JerkyRotoMetals2
Titan Reloading Inline Fabrication
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Reloading Book Question

Personally I do not like the lee manual as much as the Lyman. I think the Lyman explains the reloading process better. The Lyman 48 as well as the Lee manual are available for free download, but I don't have the links here on the phone. Perhaps someone that has it bookmarked could chime in on that one.

Don't pick a manual to learn reloading because it has data for the calibers you have, but rather pick a manual for it's ability to teach you to reload and then find data for the obscure calibers. Cut your teeth on a couple common calibers first before tackling anything that brass is hard to come by.

Boolit Grand Master

Glad you understand Der Gebirgsjager. And yes there was a quick correction, thank you. One thing often overlooked on reloading forums is the number of new reloaders looking in. While posting load data is no big deal to an experienced reloader, new guys' BS filter hasn't developed enough and they may believe a forum "expert" and use the data and as I mentioned in an earlier post, not all loads are safe...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Bub

I ended up buying both Lyman and Lee. I guess I’m well on my way to owning several eventually - as I think most everyone ends up with!

I was surprised how much info is common, how much is not common, and where they differ in same bullet type and powder!

I have Lyman, Hornady, Sierra, manuals dating from the 70's. I have the Lee second edition. 12 all together.
    I use them all on occasion. When I get a new cartridge or a new bullet, I look in all the books. I look at max loads, average them out. to get a max load, then cut by 10% for a start load.
    They all will vary because they can't all use the same testing equipment. Seldom the same brass, primer or bullets.
    They don't all have the same cartridges. The older books won't have the new cartridges or the new powders. They have some older cartridges that the new books don't.
    I might also suggest Cartridges Of the World. It talks about a lot of older obsolete cartridges that none few of the books have. It does list a few loads for most cartridges it talks about. I find it very interesting to read. Every no and again you read about cartridges that were used in the development of new cartridges. This book has info on them. Like the 6.8 Chinese cartridge the 270 was alleged to come from.
    I also have The Handloaders Manual of Cartridge Conversions. It tells how to convert one case to another. You do this for most wildcats as well as old obsolete cartridges. It gives some load data also.
    Even as comprehensive as these two books are they don't list the 9mm Largo.
    IMHO you can't have to many manuals. By comparing one book to another you may find mistakes in the data.
    Leo

Boolit Master

The answer is always the same: Lyman #50.
    Member: Orange Gunsite Family, NRA-Life, ARTCA, American Legion, & the South Cuyahoga Gun Club.

Caveat Emptor: Do not trust Cavery Grips/American Gripz/Prestige Grips/Stealth Grips from Clayton, NC. He will rip you off.

Boolit Buddy
    Franklin !!! welcome to the affliction !!!
    Good Judgment comes from Experience, Experience comes from Bad Judgment !

Boolit Master
    I use load data I find on the net but, I always check at least two different load books before I do. If something seems high I don’t use it. Lee reload Manuel info comes from the powder companies so I don’t know why people thank its not as accurate as the actual powder companies. It’s the same info. As far as the lee classic kit it’s the same kit I bought 30 years ago. I kind of always wanted a progressive press but the lee still workes like it did new. I have sat down and loaded 500 to 1000 pistole or 500 rifle rounds with it. Yes I get bored with it so I only do batches. One night deprime And resize cases. Next night prime. Next night you know the rest. I also get the kids involved with sizing and depriming or sizing bullets when I get tired. The lee classic kit is the cheapest compleat way to start reloading. The lee book is probably the most used. It is almost completely worn out. My other books look new. my Lyman cast books are also well used. Also I also look at hodgen’s online site a lot also. You can’t go wrong with this set for a first time set up or thirty years from now.
    Last edited by Jniedbalski; 01-23-2020 at 10:33 PM.

Boolit Master
    For a newbie to rifle loading I recommend the Hornady manual.

If there is one thing all newbies seem to have trouble understanding, it is headspace.

The Hornady manual has a colorized line drawings and written explanation of the issue.

This is foundational knowledge that must be understood before you even think about primer and powder choices.

The Lee manual is very good for lots of load data. The data is furnished to Lee by the powder companies so it is quite accurate and legimet as well.

Three44s
    Quote Originally Posted by Bret4207

“There is more to this than dumping lead in a hole.”

I see you are loading mostly foreign military rounds.
    The 303 British and 6.5 x 55 Swede are quite popular and not hard to find good brass without spending a fortune.
    I load the 7.62x54R myself. The PPU brass is good brass. The Norma is very good but you pay for it. The Sellier & Bellot is good brass once you ream the primer pockets deep enough for us made primers. Not hard to do with a good reamer but time consuming.
    Your 9mm Largo is an interesting cartridge. I did a bit of research and found it is also called the 9mm Bayard. A cartridge from 1903 used by the Danish and Spanish. It is ballistically close to the 9mm Luger or 9x19. The case is just longer. A hair over 23mm long.
    You might find brass for it somewhere, I haven't checked myself but Star Line might make it. If not you might be able to use 9mmx23 brass. A slightly different cartridge, the case is slightly shorter.
    The 9mm Winchester Magnum is a case close but longer.
    Find load data shouldn't be hard My books say you can use 380 ACP or 9mm Luger loads as a stating point.
    Leo

Boolit Master
    I have both the Lee manual, and the Lyman manual. If you can have just ONE reloading manual, get the LEE.

Boolit Bub

Thanks for the advice. I ended up getting both Lyman and Lee. Glad I did.

Boolit Bub

You guys are a huge help, thank you.

As for the “affliction?” No kidding!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12