RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingWidenersSnyders Jerky
Reloading EverythingRepackboxLee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters Supply
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: Plainbase bullets in 30 cal military rifles

Boolit Master

Plainbase bullets in 30 cal military rifles

I'm loading some pb heads for use in my 2 and 4 groove 03's and have a couple questions. May also try the 241's in a Finn M39.

Do harder alloys in plain base projectiles become beneficial for long term reliability? If not what loads should be avoided?

I have some 311241 Lyman cast of WW's and commercial cast 160 gr FNBB that are of a commercial#2 alloy. I've overcoated both with diluted LLA. The plan is to test these before going further.

I just use regular AC wheel weights hard is not needed . For plain base bullets find a load that will duplicate 22lr velocities 1000-1200 fps . Same for gas checked designed without the Check . My normal load for 30-06 with these type of loads is 5-6 grs of Bullseye
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Boolit Buddy
    Good morning,
    I have been using the LEE “soup can” 115gr boolit with the gas check removed from the mold. I have used it cast with 100% WW, 70WW/30Pb touch of tin, Lyman #2 and 30WW/70Pb. I have lubed with a lube sizer, tumbled with LEE Alox, 45/10/10 and powder coated. I have a very large amount of WW540(HS6) I have settled on 8.2grs in 30-06, 308 and 303 British. All shoot about 1” at 49 yards at the indoor range and work really well for 100 yard plinking. Standard 10 pin bowling pins are easy at 150 yards.
    The only thing I have done differently is, following Larry’s advice I drilled the primer flash hole for better ignition. By powder coating I can get them large enough to shoot in the 303 British otherwise I usually just tumble in LEE Alox and shoot. I don’t even size them. No leading, good enough accuracy and way easier on the shoulder and wallet.....plus I am using up powder I wouldn’t have a use for.
    Hope this helps....Bullseye67 and Happy New Year!!!

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    I have found that heavier bullets in the 150-170 grain range, which fit the throat and origin of rifling, are more accurate in plainbased loads than lighter bullets which must jump into the rifling. Accurate 31-155D was designed for gallery and small game use in the .30-30, .308 and .30-'06. RU Shooter's advice on loads is spot-on. You can also use 5-7 grains of TiteGroup, 452AA, 700X, Red Dot, 231 or WST. A good reference is:

http://www.gmdr.com/lever/lowveldata.htm

Attachment 253904
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master
    I cast my 311241's out of COWW's/soft lead 70/30, with a pinch of tin for mold fillout, and run the pot hot. 5 grains B'eye in .30-30/.303 Savage, and 6 grains in .30-40 and .30-06. I run them through a .311 lubrisizer die mainly just to lube them (with 50/50).

Biggest problem: I never seem to have loaded enough of them for a day's plinking at one of our Rifle Frolics, for they are more fun than a barrel full of puppies and everybody wants to shoot them!

Boolit Master
    I just use 90 to 100 grain .32 caliber pistol bullets ,tumble lubed(allowed to dry overnite on wax paper)

I load over 3 or 4 grains bullseye or another fast powder.
    I really like that flatnosed 170 grain LEE bullet, but it uses too much lead to shoot paper or to plink.
    Happy New Year !
    To All!

Boolit Master
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I poked around online and found some other Pb cast 06 load info using bullseye and Unique which I have. https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...galleytest.htm

The bullets I have are on the harder side, WW's air cooled or a little harder. Down the road I will be using a softer mix with 22 backstop lead as the main portion of the mix.

over the hill, out in the woods and far away
    Quote Originally Posted by 30calflash View Post
    Thanks to everyone for their input. I poked around online and found some other Pb cast 06 load info using bullseye and Unique which I have. https://www.hensleygibbs.com/edharri...galleytest.htm

The bullets I have are on the harder side, WW's air cooled or a little harder. Down the road I will be using a softer mix with 22 backstop lead as the main portion of the mix.
    That is a good reference which I have used with pleasing results.
    The ENEMY is listening.
    HE wants to know what YOU know.
    Keep it to yourself.

Boolit Master

Edge of The Crab Orchard National Wildlife Refuge
    What are "heads"?

Good thought on softening the alloy up a bit and agree on filling the throat to help assure a straight run.
    More "This is what happened when I,,,,," and less "What would happen if I,,,,"

Last of the original Group Buy Honcho's.

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

I use PB 145 & 170 in my BO & 30/30, run them almost full power with accuracy. WDWW alloy. I have not found LLA or BLL to actually work at high pressure unless GCd. PC works fine.
    Whatever!

Boolit Buddy
    I gave up on plain based bullets over 40 years ago. Tried different varieties in 8mm, 30 and 7.5, wasted a lot of good lead. The thing is, I was shooting in matches and I needed to shoot 20-25 rnds. without cleaning. The other thing I found was that they were very temperature sensitive; a practice session at say 68-70 degrees and everything is great, day of the match and the thermometer is pushing 80. After about the 5th rnd. your tight group starts to open up into a pattern.

Not trying to rain on your parade, just my experience......................

Boolit Buddy
    I have had very good results in my 1903a4 with a 2 groove barrel. Here is the load I worked up using a single cavity Lyman 3118. These are my personal notes, so the comments in my loaf info is from that perspective.

I'll try to find a picture of the results, if I remember correctly it was under an inch at 50 yards.

September 2016
    Summary - Useful load for shorter range small game hunting or plinking. Very low noise and good accuracy. Almost as good as the 8.0gr 311316 load, but saving money and prep as this is a plain base bullet.

Powder - Trailboss
    Powder Charge - 8.2 gr and 7.5 gr gr for accuracy, 7.3 gr for hunting (better trajectory and less noise)
    Bullet - Lyman 3118
    Alloy - Straight Clip on Wheel Weights
    Lube - Ben's Liquid Lube, 2 light coats
    Bullet Sized - .311 push through sizer
    Brass - Have tried with success: R-P, FC, PPU, Winchester
    Brass Length - 2.484 - 2.489
    Primers - S&B LR primer
    COAL - 2.870"
    Crimp - None
    Brass Prep - Tumbled, Full length sized, Mdie mouth flared, Primer pocket cleaned, Mouth chamfered
    Bullet Prep - Weight sorted, culled defects, two light coats of lube

Edit: found a pic of a target during the testing and results during squirrel hunting.

Last edited by Dimner; 01-02-2020 at 11:08 PM.

Boolit Buddy
    Wow! I am truly enlightened. Thanks so much for sharing your wonderful accuracy and how you achieved it. I will have to say that when I was working with plain based slugs there was no "Trail Boss", but I have read a lot of good things about it from several folk and maybe its time to give it a try;.....CHEERS!

Boolit Master
    I have had good luck with the Lyman 311410. Cast with wheel weights it comes out at 130 and than I use hytek coating on it.
    jim

Boolit Master

Quote Originally Posted by popper View Post
    I use PB 145 & 170 in my BO & 30/30, run them almost full power with accuracy. WDWW alloy. I have not found LLA or BLL to actually work at high pressure unless GCd. PC works fine.
    I'm very interested in what PC can do for plainbased boolits in the 30 caliber 1/10. Do you have any more info as to load, velocity, twist rate, group size, etc?