WidenersLee PrecisionReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters Supply
Inline FabricationRepackboxRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: How test Annealed Jackets Prior to Swaging

Banned

How test Annealed Jackets Prior to Swaging

How do you test to know that your jackets are completely annealed prior to swaging them in the swage press? I don’t want the jackets to destroy my expensive dies.

Boolit Master

i over anneal them, its not like they need to be able to be used more than once. they get really orange down in the lead pot.
    if you are ever being chased by a taxidermist, don't play dead

I test them by squeezing them between my thumb and index finger. If I can mash the jacket mouth, or even really dent it, then the jacket is dead soft.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Buddy
    Commercial jackets are "harder/firmer" than annealed brass cases. The squeeze test as mentioned is right to see if it is soft. I've annealed commercial drawn jackets for 2 reasons. Reason one is when i extreme swage like .308 to .329. No split jackets and the base forms easier. Next I will try .308 to .338.
    The other reason is for hunting bullets. If it gets bonded it obviously gets annealed. But if I want it to mushroom instead of tear apart I anneal the jacket.
    Microscopic grit is our worst enemy so washing after annealing removes oxides and more grit that heating has released.
    Last edited by Gew; 12-30-2019 at 02:03 AM.

Vendor Sponsor

What caliber jackets? And what are you using for a jacket?
    BTX Star Crimp Die
    Back in stock with new low price!
    Click link below!
    http://castboolits.gunloads.com/show...Star-Crimp-Die

also check in and say hello on my new face book page!
    https://www.facebook.com/BTSniper-153949954674572/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by BT Sniper;479 4338
    What caliber jackets? And what are you using for a jacket?
    I am going to use 22 long rifle cases for both .224”, .251”, and 9mm cases for .357” bullets. (.223 remington, .25 acp, .357 magnum). I have a small front loading kiln for annealing.

Banned
    By the way I was told that if I over anneal it could also cause problems during the point form operation? I believe wrinkles could form if the brass case was too soft? Not sure if there’s some truth into that. Any help and tips is appreciated.

Boolit Buddy
    I over annealed 22 cases one time and they were too soft, so as soon as they start turning a dull orange in a dark room I stop.
    Last edited by Gew; 01-05-2020 at 06:58 PM.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Gew View Post
    I over annealed 22 cases one time and they were to soft. So as soon as they start turning a dull orange in a dark room I stop.
    Okay. So what should I wash the annealed cases with to remove the oxides and grits?

You use citric acid in hot water to clean the brass, and then dry it thoroughly.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Vang View Post
    Okay. So what should I wash the annealed cases with to remove the oxides and grits?
    Wet tumble them in citric acid (lemishine) and rinse well. If you have an ultrasonic cleaner even better.

Banned
    Are there certain mix that’ll work best or just pour in orange juice and call it a day?(just kidding on the orange juice) But where would I get pure citric acid from? Wal mart?

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Darth-Vang View Post
    Are there certain mix that’ll work best or just pour in orange juice and call it a day?(just kidding on the orange juice) But where would I get pure citric acid from? Wal mart?
    People get citric acid from walmart, check the canning aisle. Lemishine is with the dishwashing detergent, it’s also mostly citric acid.

If you want pure, food grade, citric acid, you can get it from dudadiesel.com. I bought ten pounds of it, which is a lifetime supply, but you can also make lemonade from it, too.

https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=citric

Hope this helps.

Fred

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ReloaderFred View Post
    If you want pure, food grade, citric acid, you can get it from dudadiesel.com. I bought ten pounds of it, which is a lifetime supply, but you can also make lemonade from it, too.

https://www.dudadiesel.com/search.php?query=citric

Hope this helps.

Fred
    Thanks for link. I might get pure citric acid from that. I can feel a successful fun swaging time coming my way already.