Load DataRotoMetals2Snyders JerkyWideners
MidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationReloading EverythingTitan Reloading
Repackbox Lee Precision
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hollow pointing boolits to reduce weight to increase stability

Boolit Grand Master

I have absolutely no experience with any Riby cartridge but I did stay at a Motel 6 last night. Seriously, I have cast/shot a bunch of rifle bullets and after reading the OP, my first inclination would be to check bullet to gun fit first. The old "slug the barrel and mike the bullets" method.
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Boolit Grand Master

Yep, but now that those undersized bullets have been shot, "mine the lead!" ........
    Charter Member #148

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    I have absolutely no experience with any Riby cartridge but I did stay at a Motel 6 last night. Seriously, I have cast/shot a bunch of rifle bullets and after reading the OP, my first inclination would be to check bullet to gun fit first. The old "slug the barrel and mike the bullets" method.
    No leading in the barrel, and apparently you missed my post about NOT slugging a buddies very high dollar custom rifle.

He paid more for this rifle than I paid for my last truck

I'd post a photo of the rifle but I did something to my computer in the settings that won't let me. When I figure out what security setting I changed, I'll post a photo of it.

It's waaaay to purty to come near it with a lead slug and a hammer.

Boolit Grand Master

Let me ask again;

What size do the bullets drop at?

What are you sizing at?

Lube or PC?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Quote Originally Posted by Larry Gibson View Post
    Let me ask again;

What size do the bullets drop at?

What are you sizing at?

Lube or PC?
    Sorry,

I thought I had posted that I don't know the as cast dia. because I don't currently have any that haven't been sized. Was going to cast some this evening but this head cold/sinus infection/bronchitis/creeping crud that has been dragging me down since December 1st is back.

Sized size is 418, standard commercial lube, (Lyman) with a gas check.

May cast some tomorrow if I can quit coughing and sneezing long enough. Last night was the first night in a month I got more than 5 hours of sleep.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    If you sent a jacketed bullet for a mold the same size, did the manufacturer take into account that cast boolits normally need to be larger than jacketed? If your boolits measure the same as the jacketed, they could be too small. Something that can remedied.

Also I don’t see any reason slugging the barrel could harm the gun. You need pure soft lead and a rod that is softer or plastic coated to drive the slug down. I use a steel rod with electrical shrink wrap on it. Otherwise, brass will work and make a collar out of wood or plastic to center it at the muzzle to be really sure. Of course, ask your friend first, but if he knows all the facts, he probably won’t object.

Boolit Master
    FWIW, 1100-1200 may put you in the transonic range. This is one of the speed ranges that some bullets just don't like and react badly. I suspect that is the reason your accuracy improves a bit above those speeds. If you are trying to avoid recoil then go slower, around 1000fps and see what happens (after you make sure the bullets fit the bore). If you want a hunting round then go up to 1500fps or more.

For fitting cast I go in from the chamber side with an oversize slug. Two reasons. First, some barrels are a bit smaller at the muzzle than at the breach and I want the bullet to fit at the throat. Second, I want to see how long and what dia the throat is as well.

For the slug I can usually get away with a cast bullet, even a sized one. Put it in the vise lengthwise and crush it a bit until the dia is larger than the throat. Then pound it in from the back just far enough to fully engrave the rifling. I use a punch that is closer to bullet dia (with tape around it). A taped cleaning rod is used from the muzzle to tap it out (takes very little force to get it out).

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by 15meter View Post
    No leading in the barrel, and apparently you missed my post about NOT slugging a buddies very high dollar custom rifle.

He paid more for this rifle than I paid for my last truck

I'd post a photo of the rifle but I did something to my computer in the settings that won't let me. When I figure out what security setting I changed, I'll post a photo of it.

It's waaaay to purty to come near it with a lead slug and a hammer.
    Well, without using proven methods, it's all a WAG...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Quote Originally Posted by GregLaROCHE View Post
    If you sent a jacketed bullet for a mold the same size, did the manufacturer take into account that cast boolits normally need to be larger than jacketed? If your boolits measure the same as the jacketed, they could be too small. Something that can remedied.

Also I don’t see any reason slugging the barrel could harm the gun. You need pure soft lead and a rod that is softer or plastic coated to drive the slug down. I use a steel rod with electrical shrink wrap on it. Otherwise, brass will work and make a collar out of wood or plastic to center it at the muzzle to be really sure. Of course, ask your friend first, but if he knows all the facts, he probably won’t object.

Both Accurate and I am smart enough to spec and make a mold that is larger than standard jacket bullet diameter for cast use, it was spec'ed at .418 and cast very close to that or a little larger.

I Beagled the mold today and cast some at ~ .421 to try as pan lubed boolits.

The mold is:

http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...=42-365S-D.png

I slugged one of the bores of another of my buddie's rifles, I thought he was going to stroke out. Not going to do that again. Lost 2 buddies last year, have one in hospice and another that will probably be there fairly shortly. Don't need to lose any more.

Just keep playing up and down with speed/diameter. May still hollow point some, I have a lathe with collets, not like it's a real tough machining operation, may just for grins, drill some from the back before the g/c goes on. Retired guy with a nice shop to keep me out from under the wife's feet.

Plus no ice to go sailing with the buddies that are still kicking.

Might as well make weirdness in the shop.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12