Thread: .30-06 and Unique

Banned

.30-06 and Unique

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.30-06 Target.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	17.9 KB 
ID:	253859

Been messing with a custom target rifle built on a '98 Mauser action in .30-06, which I got an excellent deal on, apparently no one else wanted such a rifle and I got it for the opening bid. So far, I'd been rather unimpressed, but started working with the 311284 and shot this target this afternoon at 100 yards using it, sized to .309 with 12 grains of Unique.

That's a nine shot group, the bullseye is a Xerox copy of a standard 10 meter air rifle target, the black is probably a one inch circle.

The bullets I used were some I cast years ago, not sure how many more of them I have, gonna have to dig out that mold and get to work, I think.

That is nice!

Boolit Master

Rich,
    Sweet! Now try the 311413 and NOE 30XCB to see how they shoot.
    Ed

Boolit Grand Master
    Impressive !

Boolit Grand Master

Rich very nice! I like 100 yd groups
    Charter Member #148

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RedlegEd View Post
    Rich,
    Sweet! Now try the 311413 and NOE 30XCB to see how they shoot.
    Ed
    Ed, this rifle does not seem to care for that XCB bullet for some reason. I have a .308 I want to try it in.

I was really sure I had a single cavity of the 311413 in my stuff and you got me interested in trying it, but when I looked, it turned out to be the 311414. Might still be a good one. I read where it's designed for the .300 Savage of which I have a couple, so might be a good one to try.

This 311284 has been a performer in a few other rifles of mine. It's odd this rifle seems to like a smaller sizeing diameter. I still have to seat this deep enough that some of the bullet base is inside the case. My guesstimate on velocity is about 1400ish FPS. Looking closely at the holes, there may be just a tiny bit of yaw, might try to up that load a little at a time and see where accuracy goes.

That Lyman 311284 works in my A3 Springfield (scoped), 30.5gns 3031 gives it 1740fps, this 10 shot sub MOA group was the second for my day on the range.

Hold Still Varmint; while I plugs Yer!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Bad *** Wallace View Post
    That Lyman 311284 works in my A3 Springfield (scoped), 30.5gns 3031 gives it 1740fps, this 10 shot sub MOA group was the second for my day on the range.

I think a group that small would exceed my abilities as a shooter. Was this with iron sights?

I am thinking of experimenting with some slower powders, probably IMR 4895. I used to shoot this bullet with the old Lyman manual's recommended most accurate load of 22 grains of SR4759, but I don't have very much of it left and it's now discontinued.

Boolit Master
    Geez, Rich, I wish we were neighbors- I would give you some of my stash of 4759. Have you tried 2400, Rl-7?

I recently picked up a pre-war 1903 T-style heavy target rifle (rebarreled by John Dubiel circa 1936-7). It likes the NOE 309-169 Elco spitzer shaped bullet, cast fairly hard bhn 15-16, with pretty much any 4759 load between 20-24 grains or 20 grains 2400. The 4759 is tops (5/8-3/4 MOA) but the 2400 is pretty close. (But in full disclosure it gets done with a 16x Unertl scope mounted on it.)

RL-7 at 25 grains and that 311284 in another Springfield gives sub-MOA too. (A 1903A1 USMC sniper clone, with 8x Unertl.)

Gotta love these old .30-06 target rifles our fathers and grandfathers won long range matches with. The old guys knew what they were doing.

Boolit Grand Master

Southern France by way of Interior Bush Alaska
    Tell us more about the rifle. What’s the barrel like? Heavy? Any pictures ?

Banned

I'm going to try some 2400. Honestly, I have a lot of Unique and if it'll do this well consistently, I may just stick with it. I bought this rifle just to informal target shoot, and it's unlikely it'll ever see longer than 100 yards very often. This is a nice, economical load.

The rifle is nothing special, really, I wanted a heavy barreled .30-06, just because I think the longer neck and a few other things about it make it better than the .308. Someone had built one on a Mauser '98 and was selling it on gunbroker, I minimum bided and won. Nice rifle, the guy did a good job. For what I wanted, I might should have bit the bullet and bought one of those Remington Long Range since they're the only .30-06 heavy available, but I don't care much for Remington 700s and this was cheaper.

Try upping the load of unique till you hit the next accuracy node for me it was in the 14-15 gr range I've always had better accuracy with unique the warmer loads
    If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by RU shooter View Post
    Try upping the load of unique till you hit the next accuracy node for me it was in the 14-15 gr range I've always had better accuracy with unique the warmer loads
    I will try that. I know I have a bunch of these around I cast years ago which are not sized or lubed, been a couple of moves ago, once I do, I'll start experimenting. It sure would be nice to have a great, consistent load that uses a cheap and easily available powder.

Boolit Master
    Rich, I might have to drive out to Kansas one of these days!

Warm Unique loads always worked better in '06's for me too.

Banned

Spent some time working with this rifle today mainly trying the 311291 since it's generally a good bullet in most things, this rifle doesn't like it. In fact, it hasn't liked much of anything except that one load so far. I began to wonder if that one group was a fluke, so I loaded up ten of the exact same load and had the same results. The one flyer at the bottom was my fault and I called it before I even looked at it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	.30-06 Target 01JAN20.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	12.8 KB 
ID:	254095

The 311467 did a good bit better than anything besides that 311284, so the rifle seems to favor heavier bullets. I'll keep playing with it as I get time. Might never get another load to shoot that well.

Banned

It also turned out those bullets were in fact .311, I got them mixed up with a batch I had sized for a model 70 which likes them smaller.

Boolit Master
    I notice that you are not using any bore riding designs. Those seem to work best in my .308. 311299, RCBS 165SIL and even the Lee 309-180. I have had good luck with IMR4198, IMR4895 and Varget.

Boolit Grand Master

Aren't the 311284 and 311291 bore riders?
    Larry Gibson

“Deficient observation is merely a form of ignorance and responsible for the many morbid notions and foolish ideas prevailing.”
    ― Nikola Tesla

Boolit Master
    Interesting. I have an old Ideal 308284 mould, suspect it didn't change much when Lyman took over. I recently got 8lbs of Unique. I have a nice custom 1917 enfield I got cheap because it wasn't a 6.5mm something. Has long heavy barrel with 1-12 twist, rebarreled by Robert Findley.. Need to test that load out. I haven't tried any heavy bullets in 1:12 twist gun. I suspect the 308284 will be long for this gun but I'm sure going to try it out.

Banned

I'm surprised no other bullet even comes close. That 311291 is generally a good one in almost any .30.

I'll try sme slower powders and still have several designs to try. I have quite a few of these I cast up years ago, but I may need to dig that mold out and go on a casting binge if that's what this rifle likes.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast