MidSouth Shooters SupplyRepackboxWidenersReloading Everything
RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingInline FabricationLee Precision
Load Data Snyders Jerky

Thread: Henry single shot trigger

Boolit Buddy

Henry single shot trigger

Picked myself up a new Henry single shot in .223 yesterday. I have been researching this rifle for a month or so and finally decided to kill my Cabelas points and get one. The one thing I learned while researching it was to expect a horrible trigger.
    Boy was I surprised !!! When I got it home I gave it a try and found absolutely no creep or grittiness. I got out my gauge and found that it broke like glass at just over 4 lbs. Looks like Henry listened to all of the complaints.
    I am sure I could slick it up some but this rifle will live its life in a gun rack in the roof of my side by side. For a beat around "truck gun" that is plenty good enough for me.
    I hope to get time to scope it and work up some loads next week.
    On another note, the hammer pull is pretty stiff which is a minus but it has a very generous bore which is a plus.

Boolit Master
    Glad to hear it !

After 500 rounds thru and the recommended
    spring tweak, my .357 is doing nicely.

How's the wood to metal fit on the butt stock ?

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by FredBuddy View Post
    Glad to hear it !

After 500 rounds thru and the recommended
    spring tweak, my .357 is doing nicely.

How's the wood to metal fit on the butt stock ?
    Wood to metal is very good but I wish that they had slimmed it down a bit. Not exactly graceful.

Boolit Buddy
    I have had mine in 223/5.56 for a good while now,and my biggest complaint is the low configuration of the buttstock.I wish I would have gotten a bigger bore,and just used it with sights.I am not wild about the trigger,but it is livable .You aint kidding about the hammer pull being stiff,but that is good in my opinion.I could not get a decent cheek weld at all with mine,so I split a piece of plastic pipe and taped it up to keep from scratching the wood,and rigged a little higher comb on it,and it helped a lot,but I need re do it a little neater.It does shoot well though.I am always surprised by the weight of the rifle as wellClick image for larger version. 

Name:	zmji6EA.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	253846
    Last edited by Elroy; 12-29-2019 at 02:57 PM.

Boolit Master
    I have a .223, 243 and 30/30. All of mine shoot great, the 30/30 just has opens sights, and the .223 has a Nikon 3x9x40, shoots around 3/4" with factory sp 50 round box, and just around 1/2" for 3 shots with a handload. I cant shoot any better than that with that power scope.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Elroy View Post
    I have had mine in 223/5.56 for a good while now,and my biggest complaint is the low configuration of the buttstock.I wish I would have gotten a bigger bore,and just used it with sights.I am not wild about the trigger,but it is livable .You aint kidding about the hammer pull being stiff,but that is good in my opinion.I could not get a decent cheek weld at all with mine,so I split a piece of plastic pipe and taped it up to keep from scratching the wood,and rigged a little higher comb on it,and it helped a lot,but I need re do it a little neater.It does shoot well though.I am always surprised by the weight of the rifle as wellClick image for larger version. 

Name:	zmji6EA.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	45.0 KB 
ID:	253846
    Sounds like I may have to pick up one of those lace on leather risers for my buttstock.

Boolit Buddy
    [QUOTE=C-dubb;Sounds like I may have to pick up one of those lace on leather risers for my buttstock.[/QUOTE]

Leather? That's for rich folks ! I am stuck with homemade till they come out with a genuine imitation naugahyde version LOL ..I will probably end up buying one,as well,but just have not got around to it.I have my homemade riser covered with one of those black elastic sleeves that holds several shells,and while it is ugly it functions,but I have thought about getting one of those strap on types that you see on Amazon,and EBay.