MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad DataReloading EverythingSnyders Jerky
RepackboxTitan ReloadingInline FabricationRotoMetals2
Wideners Lee Precision
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I really NEED a 10mm to hunt with?

Boolit Buddy

Do I really NEED a 10mm to hunt with?

So I have 5 1911s all in 45 acp of course. I have a Glock 21 with a 460 Rowland barrel and a 400 Corbon barrel, I have a Ruger SBH in 45 colt,44 Mag and 357 mag (I also have Rossi lever guns in those calibers too)

I have probably another 30-40 assorted pistols in all calibers.

BUT I was watching Razor Dobbs on YouTube and he hunts with a dan Wesson 10mm and I have to say it is very impressive! I have gathered probably 1-2k of 10mm brass through the years but I do not own a 10mm!! And now I want one really bad. But the question is do I NEED one to hunt with?(I’m a big handgun hunter) I really like the look of the Rockisland tactical long slide.

So what do Y’all think? Do I NEED a 10mm in a 1911 frame? I want to keep it an all steel gun in around the $6-700 range and before you ask no I don’t want a Kimber I have already wasted my money on 2 of them (one being a a grand raptor 2)

So do I REALLY need another 1911 in 10mm? No but do I want one YES!

What do you think? Is it really worth it over a 40sw?(which I have 3 of) is the 200fps more worth it?
    Thanks for your input

Boolit Man
    Need? no, should you get one anyway? Yes. I've got the RIA double stack match tac and love it. Comfortable for guys with big hands, not too much recoil, and functions flawlessly.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master

To be clear, this isn’t about need, but......

You gotta do what flips your switch.

If you’re ok with stepping out of the 1911 genre, there are many worthy 10mm pistols and revolvers for your consideration.

One of my favorites I own is the Sig P220 Hunter SAO in 10mm. It’s a dandy and shoots better than I do. I think a hunting revolver in 10mm would be really cool.

In the end, it’s about what you want. Perhaps selling a few of the pistols you don’t shoot will allow you to expand your budget a bit? That really opens a lot of doors.

Boolit Master

The 10mm can handle heavier bullets that many prefer for big game and hogs. My 10mm is an EAA Witness, all steel. Love it. Do I need it with several .45 ACPs, .40 S&Ws, .45 Colt, .44 mag and others? No, but I like it. You're already bitten. Just do it.

Boolit Master

no, you dont need it. however, need has very little to do with gun hoarding.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyguy95 View Post
    Need? no, should you get one anyway? Yes. I've got the RIA double stack match tac and love it. Comfortable for guys with big hands, not too much recoil, and functions flawlessly.

How big is the frame compared to the Glock large frames? Do you know I’m a big big (6’3” 270 lbs) but I don’t like Large pistols I have two desert eagles one in 50ae and one in 429ae and they are huge. The 1911 frame is about perfect for me!

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by osteodoc08 View Post
    To be clear, this isn’t about need, but......

You gotta do what flips your switch.

If you’re ok with stepping out of the 1911 genre, there are many worthy 10mm pistols and revolvers for your consideration.

One of my favorites I own is the Sig P220 Hunter SAO in 10mm. It’s a dandy and shoots better than I do. I think a hunting revolver in 10mm would be really cool.

In the end, it’s about what you want. Perhaps selling a few of the pistols you don’t shoot will allow you to expand your budget a bit? That really opens a lot of doors.
    If I sold some pistols then I wouldn’t have them anymore!! Lol I have thought about finding a used Sig I have never owned a Sig before but I have shot dozens and they all seem to shoot great!

Boolit Bub
    Well you have to look at it this way (maybe). What are you going to do with a 10mm? Are you really going to hunt with it or is it just going to be for punching paper and to look pretty? I have for years wanted a 460 S&W Mag with a 5" barrel but what can you do with that in Texas? Scare people at the Gun Range? About 9 months ago I bought close to that in a 450 Bushmaster. has close to the same ballistics, tears up the hogs here. And is a blast to shoot.

Good luck in your dilemma......

Boolit Man
    Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    How big is the frame compared to the Glock large frames? Do you know I’m a big big (6’3” 270 lbs) but I don’t like Large pistols I have two desert eagles one in 50ae and one in 429ae and they are huge. The 1911 frame is about perfect for me!
    Honestly couldn't compare to LG frame glock, never cared to handle one. It is on the heavier side but when you have 14+1 In a full metal pistol it goes without being said. It is smaller than a Desert eagle but is definitely not a ccw pistol.

Boolit Grand Master
    10mm is a great hunter. Go for it.

There is certainly nothing wrong with wanting a 10mm auto but you don't NEED one to hunt with. You can have slightly more performance by simply shooting .45 Super in your existing .45 autos. Now you will hear all kind of advice about upping the recoil spring to 28-30 pounds and installing a non beveled firing pin stop and such but a stock 1911 will NOT blow up shooting super rounds. I have a Smith and Wesson 4506 that is basically stock with an 18# recoil spring that shoots Super just fine. Will shooting super in your 1911 batter the gun more than .45 acp? Absolutely but if you only fire a few sighting rounds per year before hunting season it is not going to be a problem. It is quite easy to get a 255 grain rounded flatnose cast bullet to 1030 fps with .45 Super and there you have the equivalent of an energetic .45 Long Colt loading in a trim auto platform. The myth of the big recoil springs is not supported by physics in converting to Super. The majority of the recoil management and timing of a semi auto handgun is due to the mass of the barrel and slide combo and not the recoil spring. The recoil speed of the slide is simply the momentum divided by the mass of the slide and subtract out the energy absorbed by the recoil spring. That energy is simply E=k(x*x) where k is the spring constant and x is the length of compression. You will see that the recoil spring plays a very small part in the final slide velocity prior to hitting the stop. Good luck! But..none of this is a reason NOT to buy a new gun!

Actually, you do need a 10mm handgun. You have all that brass taking up space, so you really need to put it to use. (I've bought more than one firearm because I had the brass).

I've got 10mm's in Witnesses, both standard and compact, Colt Delta Elite, S&W Model 610 revolver, Springfield XDm and a 10mm AR Carbine. Did I "need" any of them? Probably not, but I wanted them, so I bought them. You only get one trip through life, so you may as well fill those little voids while you can.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Bub
    Need should be a relative term.10mm auto is my favorite semi auto cartridge(RIA double stack,1 of the 1st Kimbers available and also a S&W610). Might even sometime in the near future need another one.

Boolit Buddy
    So what can a 10mm do that my 400 Corbon can’t do?

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    So what can a 10mm do that my 400 Corbon can’t do?
    I have both 10mm and .400 Cor-Bon handguns. The .400 Cor-Bon is pretty much limited to 165 gr. bullets, whereas the 10mm can load up to 220 gr. bullets. I limit my 10mm to 200 gr. for my use, but most of my loading in this caliber is actually with 180 gr. bullets, since they're the most common in .400" diameter, and you can get a lot of good deals on JHP in this weight.

In the 1911 platform, you also gain another round or two in the magazine. It doesn't sound like much, until you need that "just one more round"...

My Witnesses and XDm are all double stack, and there's nothing wrong with having 16+ rounds of 10mm ammunition in a handgun that's ergonomically almost perfect.

Hope this helps.

Fred
    After a shooting spree, they always want to take the guns away from the people who didn't do it. - William S. Burroughs.

Boolit Master
    You absolutely do , how can any decent boolit shooter have 2000 cases and no gun to go with them

Boolit Master
    I have 1911 pistols in 45, 38 Super, and 9mm. But wanted a 10mm. After much research, I went with the SA TRP, with 6" Heavy barrel. It shoots cast great. When in the back country I pack it in a Hill People chest rig. No regrets here.

Yes, you do need a 10MM. If you have to ask that question to this group of enablers, then you already knew what the answer would be. As onelight points out, you already have the brass. So all you need are dies, molds,boolets(bullets), correct powder and primers. And,of course,a new pistol. I have been shooting a 10MM for over 25 years. If I can't use one of my .41 mags, the 10MM is a great compromise.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by tigweldit View Post
    Yes, you do need a 10MM. If you have to ask that question to this group of enablers, then you already knew what the answer would be. As onelight points out, you already have the brass. So all you need are dies, molds,boolets(bullets), correct powder and primers. And,of course,a new pistol. I have been shooting a 10MM for over 25 years. If I can't use one of my .41 mags, the 10MM is a great compromise.

Here is the kicker.... I have brass bullets and Boolits, molds, primers and dies... I just a pistol. Just trying to decide what I want to buy

Boolit Master
    It's good for the economy so yes get one. But I like .44 mag and .45 colt way better my .45 colt blackhawk with handloads that are hot but safe relly put down big old pigs.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast