RepackboxTitan ReloadingSnyders JerkyWideners
RotoMetals2Lee PrecisionReloading EverythingLoad Data
Inline Fabrication MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Do I really NEED a 10mm to hunt with?

Boolit Master
    If you are a big handgun hunter then you already know the answer. No. You don't need it. Do you want it? Yes.

Moderator Emeritus

I like my SA Xdm 10mm. Fits my hand great but I don't have big paws.

Boolit Master
    I'd rather not bother with the headspace at case mouth/ taper crimp/bullet pushing down into case......or revolver use with similar problems when not using a rimmed case. I'd get a .41 Mag. in a nice d/a or s/a revolver.

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by MrWolf View Post
    I like my SA Xdm 10mm. Fits my hand great but I don't have big paws.
    I am worried about the polymer frame, my Glock 21 has already loosened up ALOT since I’ve been shooting my 460 Rowland even with a 28lb recoil spring

Boolit Master

Got to say "no".

I went through the 10mm infatuation with a Glock 20 in the early '90's - well before I knew that a DA revolver was something that can be shot with exceptional accuracy.

Along the road I learned that a .45ACP 1911 can be loaded with cast and it can penetrate A LOT with a flat point solid, and it's a lot faster back on target than the same platform with a full-tilt 10mm.

If I want handgun horsepower, there's .357's, .44's, and .45C.

If I want distance. . .rifles.
    WWJMBD?

In the Land of Oz, we cast with wheel weight and 2% Tin, Man.

Banned

when has need counted???

Boolit Master

Looking at your NEED from a purely logical stand point, I would say no! You don't need a 10mm handgun!
    However, if you have a thousand rounds of 10 mm ammo lying around and no gun to shoot them in, then you would have a need.
    Last edited by Hickory; 12-30-2019 at 04:34 PM.
    Political correctness is a national suicide pact.

I am a sovereign individual, accountable
    only to God and my own conscience.

Moderator Emeritus

Quote Originally Posted by WinchesterM1 View Post
    I am worried about the polymer frame, my Glock 21 has already loosened up ALOT since I’ve been shooting my 460 Rowland even with a 28lb recoil spring
    I have never shot a Glock but wouldn't that be covered under warranty? I believe Springfield Armoury has a lifetime warranty for the original purchaser of the firearm.

Boolit Grand Master
    I am no fan of the 10, but my brother has an FBI style S&W that could easily change my mind. I will say the recoil is more noticeable than my 45 ACPs, but I am a bit bunged up and old now, so I notice things like that more than I used to. 200 rounds of 45’s wears me down about the same as half as many 10’s. You maybe younger and more studly than I, if so, go for it.
    Last edited by rintinglen; 12-30-2019 at 03:15 PM. Reason: Darned autocorrect
    _________________________________________________It's not that I can't spell: it is that I can't type.

Boolit Master
    Yes,want is need enough!

I had a S&W 1006 for 15 years or so. Ten is fun.

Boolit Buddy
    Well I stopped by the LGS and got me a 10mm...... now what? It was “used” but has less than 50 rounds through it I bet. I got it for $625 about the same price as some of the newer glocks

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	FBEAF58C-1F16-4521-AB83-4D72818EB9D4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	253915

Name:	0710E0C3-8B29-46FF-B88E-C2E3A94C9B3F.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	253916

Now can you shoot 40sw through a 10mm or is that a myth

Boolit Master
    Very nice !
    I have seen 40 fired in a ten that seemed to do fine with it.

Boolit Bub
    Congrats very nice looking Ihope you enjoy.As onlight stated some people have been guilty of firing 40s&w inter 10mm,s. I have done this several times out of curiosity and it works fairly well, but Isuspect that it might be hard on the extractors. Hope this helps.PRETTY SURE IT IS NOT APPROVED OF !!!

Yes, you NEED a 10mm 1911, else what are you to do with 1,000 to 2,000 10mm cases?
    I suggest you have a look-see at the Ruger SR1911 as it fits your criteria.

[Edit: I didn't read down far enough. Hope that Kimber works out!]

Boolit Grand Master

Well I stopped by the LGS and got me a 10mm...... now what? It was “used” but has less than 50 rounds through it I bet. I got it for $625 about the same price as some of the newer glocks

Name:	FBEAF58C-1F16-4521-AB83-4D72818EB9D4.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	58.8 KB 
ID:	253915

Name:	0710E0C3-8B29-46FF-B88E-C2E3A94C9B3F.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	19.8 KB 
ID:	253916

Now that’s a deal. I’d of bought it too.

40 in a 10mm. Seeing how the cartridge headspaces off the case mouth, you’re not supposed to. Many do so in the Glock platform. The ejector holds the cartridge in place enough to fire and function. It’s your fingers and hand. Not mine.

Boolit Master
    Who cares whether or not you need one. Seriously, need makes no difference. If you want one, can afford one, not selling your firstborn to get it, go out and get it ! Buy your own admission you on several handguns . I’m sure you don’t use most of them on a daily basis . So if you buy a 10 mm and it doesn’t turn out to be the hunting jewel you would like at least you got one. And if by some small chance it turns out you really dislike the gun and feel bad about purchasing it you can always send it to me and I’ll put it to good use .
    Long, Wide, Deep, and Without Hesitation!

Boolit Buddy
    Okay I shot it for the first time this evening!! Wow it shoots awesome I’m glad I shot this over a Glock!

Using the lee 401-175TC over 8.5 grn of 800x I was getting right at 1200fps and at 15 yards or so I was getting 2-3” 9 round groups (off hand)not bad for the first time firing this gun or even a 10mm in general!! With some load development and more practice I can shrink that in half I bet

Boolit Master
    To paraphrase Tina Turner, What's need got to do with it?

Boolit Master
    Good for you!
    Not a bad start. Yep it’ll get better!
    That Lee 175 Truncated Cone is a good boolit for 10. I used it a good bit, but I bought Accurate 40-165A for a better fit in my 40s and found I liked it better in 10 also.
    I’m using mostly Blue Dot loads and cruise that 165 boolit in the mid 1300s out of a Ruger SR1911. It gives pretty much 357 Mag performance in a 1911...including the satisfying muzzle blast! I also use a case full of WC820 to get just over 1200. Burns clean and it’ll hold 3-4” at 25 yards in my hands.

I keep some Sierra 165 gr HPs loaded over Blue Dot that also get in the 1300s for uninvited guests. Based on water jugs tests, that’ll be enough.

Enjoy your new caliber. There’s some exploring to do!
    "Time and money don't do you a bit of good until you spend them." - My Dad

Yes and no. That should clear things up!

The cartridge would be headspacing off of the extractor. Which isnt too much of an issue because most brass for auto-loaders is usually a little shorter than the chamber anyway. Which means that most of the time the cartridge is somewhat headspacing off of the extractor anyway. In other words the cartridge case mouth isnt necessarily what is holding the cartridge in place for headspacing.

The issue with .40 out of a 10mm is when a cartridge accidentally slips in front of the extractor. If the firing pin is long enough to actually hit the primer and light it off in this scenario the cartridge is going to get pushed backwards and slam into the extractor. That could cause some damage to the gun.

10mm glocks dont have an issue firing .40 because the firing pin can not reach the primer if a round slips in front of the extractor.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast