Inline FabricationReloading EverythingWidenersRepackbox
Titan ReloadingRotoMetals2MidSouth Shooters SupplyLoad Data
Snyders Jerky Lee Precision

Thread: New joy pattern 1858 Enfield musket !

Boolit Buddy

New joy pattern 1858 Enfield musket !

Have become friends at my gun club with a very unique, small niche of shooters, These guys are a small group of guys whom enjoy shooting BP only antique military muzzleloaders. These guys as much as they love shooting they are involved in the N-SSA , and also do local reenactments. It started about 2 months ago when I tried an 1861 Springfield. Done deal, had to get into this shooting experience. What an awesome nostalgic shooting experience ! Only issue shooting the '61 was the fact I have very poor eyes and the friggin LONG *** sight radius was an issue. I did manage to put 2 out of 5 shots on a 12" gong at 60 yds offhand. My buddy advised me to look into the British 1858 "2 band" Enfield as opposed to the Springfield. The '58 Enfield has a shorter barrel, and thus a shorter sight radius. After much research I actually by luck found a used / unfired Pedersoli 1858 Enfield from a gun shop somewhat near to me. After a close inspection and accessing the sights I bought it. The repro Pedersolis are VERY nice fit and finish for relatively short money as opposed to buying authentic (which runs upwards of $1800-3K for a decent shooter). Very much looking forward to learning more history on antique military muzzleloaders, and how to load and shoot authentic paper cartridges. I had my first opportunity to shoot the P58 yesterday, and it was absolutely awesome to shoot. After precision pinning my bore I have a slightly oversize bore that I will call ".578" so my mentor Fred casted me up 3 different weights , a 460 gr FB , a 470 gr hollow base , and a 525 gr hollow base. All of which are the typical nose profile similar to the LEE 575-500-M nose profile . Using the baseline charge of 60 gr of Goex 2F, both the 470gr and the 525 shot very well , and seemed I was slightly more consistent with the 525 gr but this was just my maiden shooting trip so some more conclusive testing needs to be done before I make the final decision and order a custom mould.

Boolit Master
    Very nice gun. I have always thought it would be fun to own one

Muzzle loading military rifles are a joy to shoot. if you’re new to the discipline, then the article on Managing the Enfield on my web site may be of interest.

Here in the UK we shoot the Enfield at ranges from 50 yards and out to 600 yards (sometimes 800yd). They’re a fascinating and rewarding challenge to use for long range shooting.

David
    www.researchpress.uk - www.facebook.com/ResearchPress
    Historical firearms, long range target shooting and associated history

Boolit Master
    Very nice .

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by ResearchPress View Post
    Muzzle loading military rifles are a joy to shoot. if you’re new to the discipline, then the article on Managing the Enfield on my web site may be of interest.

Here in the UK we shoot the Enfield at ranges from 50 yards and out to 600 yards (sometimes 800yd). They’re a fascinating and rewarding challenge to use for long range shooting.

David
    Wow, thanks for the links, that is some outstanding knowledge !

Boolit Buddy
    Quote Originally Posted by Road_Clam View Post
    Have become friends at my gun club with a very unique, small niche of shooters, These guys are a small group of guys whom enjoy shooting BP only antique military muzzleloaders. These guys as much as they love shooting they are involved in the N-SSA
    Well it looks like you're in good hands then. I'm also NSSA and it's a fun addiction that can't be adequately described. Nothing I did in reenacting compares and where else can you shoot live muskets in competition with your unit (team) against the clock or shoot Civil War artillery with live ammunition?
    A man cannot have too much red wine, too many books, or too much ammunition.
    Rudyard Kipling

Palmetto Sharpshooters
    North South Skirmish Association
    NRA Muzzleloading Instructor

which team did you Join?
    14th VA. CAV.
    N_SSA