Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2Snyders Jerky
RepackboxReloading EverythingInline FabricationLoad Data
Wideners MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hand Press

Boolit Master

Hand Press

Which is the best available hand press for loading 22 Hornet?
    Gun control is not about guns.

Banned

I've used a Lee hand held press to load 45/70. Worked fine and the price was right!

+1 one on the Lee hand press. It has compound leverage, and works well. After many years of use mine broke, and I promptly bought another. Worth every penny.

The Buchanan press sold here in the vendor section looks like a high quality tool. The Lee press also would get the job done, especially for the little Hornet. Or you could go old school with the old Lyman tool. Huntington also made a nice hand press, but they are pricey and hard to find.

Boolit Grand Master

Randy Buchannan's hand press is the best designed and made currently on the market - bar none. This is the specific answer to your question. The Lee is useable, much cheaper, but not nearly as easy to use.
    Wayne the Shrink

There is no 'right' that requires me to work for you or you to work for me!

No doubt the Buchanan hand press is an outstanding machine, and surely worth the $245 purchase price. One day I'd like to have one.

https://buchananprecisionmachine.com...ress-with-case

Nevertheless, I stand by my statement that the Lee is worth every penny of the $33 purchase price.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1013017453?pid=665540

Banned
    While that Buchanan press looks to be top notch, I have to agree the Lee is where I would have to put my money.

Despite the quality, that price puts it in the territory of some of the best bench mounted presses.

With the rise in prices of the old Lyman/Ideal tools, the Lee is now the value in a hand press. While the Lee setup requires more bits and pieces (but it does use standard dies) it still comes out ahead in terms of total cost.

Boolit Master
    For the 22 Hornet, the old Lyman 310 tong tool, if you can find one reasonably priced. The Lee hand press works well and is very low priced. The Lee 'whack 'em' Loader would work if available. I have a Lyman 310, the Lee hand press and an old RCBS/Huntington hand press. The Buchanan hand press is similar to the Huntington Compac press but of much higher quality. If you do not need complete portability, the Lee 'O' frame press works well, is light, inexpensive and could be bolted to a board that you clamp to a desk or table, truck tailgate, picnic table, whatever...The Lee Hand press, Huntingdon Compac press, Buchanan press, and the the Lee 'O' press ALL use standard 7/8-14 dies, should you decide to add other calibers. Enjoy - let your wallet be your guide.

Boolit Master
    I have the Buchannon and think it is Rock solid and well crafted. Glad I made the decision to go with it
    Perhaps my learning skills have diminished in my senior years.. 50 years ago I could read something once and then "have it"... Now I read it about three times, do it a couple of times and then... "have it" only about half the time.

Boolit Master
    The Buchanan is more versatile in that you can clamp it to a table. There is also the option of the Hornady Lock Out setup for easier die change out.

I have a Buchanan and a Lee. I don’t regret spending the cash for the Buchanan whatsoever.
    TEAM HOLLYWOOD

NRA- LIFE TSRA-LIFE SASS-LIFE

Forgot above the old Lee whack a mole. I made a lot of woodchuck killing 222 back when I was a teenager.

Boolit Grand Master

Quote Originally Posted by wch View Post
    Which is the best available hand press for loading 22 Hornet?
    " The Best " ? The best hand press is made by member / vendor Randy Buchanan .
    It's a work of art and you can load anything with it .
    Gary
    Certified Cajun
    Proud Member of The Basket of Deplorables
    " Let's Go Brandon !"

Boolit Buddy
    I have never used a hand press,but have seen the Lee ,and I don't think I could seat a bullet with one,especially with a case that is filled close to the top.How do you hold the hand press upright,and hold onto the bullet as it goes into the seating die,and work the press? It looks like it would take 3 hands..Lee used to mace a wee little inexpensive alluminum press that would be plenty for the Hornet.I assume they still do.

I use a lee hand press often. I would like one if Randy's presses for their strength and versatility. Seating bullets on the lee hand press is easy as long as the case mouth has been flaired. Most everything I load is cast, and everything cast gets the case flaired. When I load jacketed rifle bullets that is not boattailed I generally flair with an M die same as with cast regardless or which press I use (hand or bench).

Now, since I haven't use one of Randy's presses this is just speculation. I can't imagine it would be any easier in the needing three hands department though as it takes two hands to work the action. So the answer there would be boattailed bullets or flaired cases also.

Neither flared case mouths nor boat tailed bullets are needed to seat bullets with a hand press. It's easy. Try it sometime.

Boolit Buddy
    I own and use both the Lee and the Buchanan hand presses. I had the Lee for a good 15 years before the Buchanan and used it to batch process both straight wall pistol and small bottleneck rifle brass. Since getting the Buchanan it gets picked over the Lee except when depriming. I'd rather keep the primer grit off the precision Buchanan press. Both will work but the Buchanan feels and handles like a finely crafted tool. The Lee is a good value but is a bit worn now. The wear might matter in precision sizing and seating of a small cartridge like the Hornet, but I load the Hornet on a bench mounted press due to handling the small case and bullets.

Quote Originally Posted by Tatume View Post
    Neither flared case mouths nor boat tailed bullets are needed to seat bullets with a hand press. It's easy. Try it sometime.
    I have a batch of 30-30 coming up and some will be jacketed. I will leave off the M die and try it. I flair them normally as a batch because I load mostly cast, but occasionally do load jacketed. It's been so long now I can't remember if I've tried none flaired cases on the hand press.

I have to agree with those above touting the BPM Hand Press, but some would say "I am Biased."

And Thanks for the kind words from supporters who actually bought one, and use it.

It was not designed to be cheap, It was designed to be the best there is, and I would say that it in fact fills that niche.

Not for everyone because it is 5X cost of the Lee Tool.($55 msrp) But when you consider that just the 5 machined aluminum parts alone are 2X the cost of a Lee Press and that's before assembly and all the other stuff required to complete one. There is 37+ parts in total in one of these.

You asked,,, "What is The Best Hand Press available for Loading .22 Hornet?" Well here it is.

Attachment 254018 Attachment 254021Attachment 254024

here's a couple of videos showing it in action.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=6s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xEpYQMdnxHY&t=6s

Available on my Website below.

Randy
    Last edited by W.R.Buchanan; 01-01-2020 at 05:23 PM.
    "It's not how well you do what you know how to do,,,It's how well you do what you DON'T know how to do!"
    www.buchananprecisionmachine.com

Boolit Buddy
    That BPM press looks nice,and is obviously a quality piece.In my opinion the fact that it has a base to stand it upright is very important .

Boolit Master
    The major advantage to Lee's HandPress is that it uses standard dies and therefore can full length resize while the old 310 Lyman dies and Lee's original hand dies are neck size only. However, Lee's excellent little "Reloader" C press is the same price and working principle as the Handloader and it can be used without all the fumbly hassels of the hand press.

With a deeply respectful tip of the hat to Mr. Buchann and his beautifully made BHP press, I doubt there's any better press for portable work for most of us than Lee's inexpensive little "Reloader". Mount it to a short (2"x4") hardwood board then firmly "C" clamp the board to the edge of a sturdy shooting bench or work table and you're set to work as normal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast