RepackboxRotoMetals2Titan ReloadingLoad Data
Snyders JerkyInline FabricationWidenersLee Precision
Reloading Everything MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rust on a Powder measure

Boolit Master
    Hi...
    I have had rust issues with Hornady presses and measures in my climate controlled reloading room. Strange thing is the RCBS and Dillon equipment in the same room never has never had any rust issues.
    I think it has something to do with the type of metal that Hornady uses... We use Hornady One Shot on all the Hornady equipment.

Boolit Grand Master In Remembrance
    What is the suggested oil or coating to use to keep the rust away.
    Eezox ... https://www.eezox.com/
    A few years back, I cleaned a pad of steel wool, sprayed it with Eezox and set it on a bulkhead 100 ft from the Atlantic Ocean. Nine months later, there was minimal rust on the steel wool pad
    Regards
    John

Not really an answer but I have found that letting a fan run in the shop constantly pretty much keeps the rust from forming. Maybe it moderates the temp/humidity swings? I run a window unit when its hot so that keeps the humidity down in the summer but I don't heat it unless I'm going to be working in the shop. I read somewhere (maybe here?) about the fan idea and for the last year or so I've had no problems.

Boolit Master
    Any carnauba wax will work as well for a dry lube and rust protector as any other. A small can of Kiwi "Neutral" shoe wax will last you forever and is less costly than a bigger can of JPW. I'd apply 3 coats on bare metal, each well buffed, to insure coverage. My iron top table saw has proven that spray silicon, such as that from WD-40, is worthless for rust protection - and standard WD-40 isn't much better.

It seems most indoor rust occurs when warm, moisture laden air condenses and water molecules fall on exposed (cool) metal surfaces. I've had excellent rust protection in humid Florida just by draping a bath towel over whatever is tending to rust. (Don't use a plastic sheet or bag, that seems to cause more water sweating and rust than the towels.)
    Last edited by 1hole; 01-02-2020 at 09:58 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12