RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
WidenersReloading EverythingRepackboxLoad Data
Lee Precision Snyders Jerky

Thread: Price check on Ruger #1 7x57 Mauser.

Boolit Master

Price check on Ruger #1 7x57 Mauser.

I am attempting to trade for a No1 in 7MM Mauser. It is in really good shape, same guy who bought it new, has hunted with it for about 25 years. It is in about 85% shape, some dings on the wood from hunting, in rain and snow, blue has a couple of small nicks it picked up in the gun safe, receiver is starting to turn the purple like they do. It has a pristine bore, comes with rings. The gun has probably about 150 rounds thru it, give or take. He worked up a load with Nosler partitions, since he deer hunted with it and has taken a bunch of deer in Ky and other states, took 2 elk also and a wild hog or two. He is wanting a couple of guns I have, handguns. He is asking $850 with rings, which is what I have a or a little more in the handguns. I have no attachment to the handguns. I feel like he is giving me a pretty good deal, because he wants me to have the gun, I really like the gun, and will use it hunting, and probably shooting cast boolits. I saw him shoot a 3 shot group at 250yds, that went in about 3" or just slightly under. I realize this is good hunting accuracy, where most shots will be 300yds in. I also know, that Sierra 140SP's will shoot MOA in this gun, he was just a Nosler Partition guy, and I respect that. He is transitioning to a new lightweight .243, for deer here in KY, he is in his late 70's, and what little deer hunting he will be doing is with his grandsons, just for the fun of it. I guess the question, is should I give him more money on top of what he is asking, or just trade with him. I appreciate him giving me a deal, but don't want him to think I am taking advantage of him?

What handguns are you trading? 850 sounds about right maybe even a little high for the condition you describe. I'd probably trade, always wanted a 7x57 number 1.
    "Give me liberty, or give me death!" Patrick Henry ,March 23, 1775

Boolit Buddy
    They are asking a fortune for the new ones but used ones don't fetch near as much. If you aren't attached to the handguns go ahead and trade. It sounds like a good deal for both of you. I have a No1 in 7x57 and like it very much. Be sure to try the Speer 145 grain flat base bullet.

Boolit Grand Master

From what I have seen at gun shows and shops around here that's about going price for a number 1. A scope would sweeten the deal but its not far off. On the Number 1s chambering makes a big difference as does the model A or B I doubt its a V. The earlier No1s had some really nice walnut on them. Instead of offering more cash with it If you can maybe add in some accessories for the handguns. Maybe holsters cleaning equipment speed loaders ect ect.

Bought a nice old Ruger #1 in 7x57 with a Redfield scope on it for $750 early this year. It was probably 95%. Kept it for awhile, but I'm into much older guns, so sold it for $850 not long afterwards.

Banned
    I may be the wrong guy to ask, but I would break my arm reaching for my wallet to buy that gun at $850. If he would take a trade for two handguns that I wasn't attached to, I would make that trade immediately.

A Ruger #1 that is known to be a good shooter would be attractive to me. A good Ruger #1 chambered in 7 x 57, with rings and a known history would impossible for me to resist.........I'd break the speed limit by a large margin to get the money to him.

The 7mm Mauser is a great round and that Ruger #1 action is about the perfect combination for that cartridge.

Boolit Master

I bought a use one, 7x57, 18 years ago for $650. I think it was a safe queen: looked brand new, even the FFL I had to run it through commented that it look new. I have not regretted the purchase. That rifle shoots well, and is light and handy to carry. I think the $850 price you mentioned is about right, especially since they are hard to find in 7x57.
    I hope you get it....good luck.
    atr
    Death to every foe and traitor and hurrah, my boys, for freedom !

Boolit Master
    Well guys I have done the deal, just waiting on him to get back from vacation in 2 weeks, and we will trade guns. I will let you know when I get it and how it shoots.

Boolit Master

I had one and let it go to a local doctor who gave it to his dad, who has taken multiple deer, White tail and Mule with it. Wish I still had it.

Bob
    GUNFIRE! The sound of Freedom!

Boolit Master
    I snagged a 1A in 6.5x55, in as-new condition, for $900 a couple months ago and felt I got a pretty good deal. Came with a Leupold VXIII 1.5-5 on it too. If I told y'all what I had to give a month ago for a 1A-B in .250-3000 (rebarreled) I would have to go into hiding.

Boolit Grand Master
    Quote Originally Posted by koger View Post
    Well guys I have done the deal, just waiting on him to get back from vacation in 2 weeks, and we will trade guns. I will let you know when I get it and how it shoots.
    And pictures, we love lots of pictures!
    "It aint easy being green!"