MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionTitan ReloadingRotoMetals2
Reloading EverythingSnyders JerkyWidenersRepackbox
Load Data Inline Fabrication

Thread: S+W 39 no dash

Boolit Buddy

S+W 39 no dash

Well, folks, I decided to start cleaning some pistols that I was left. One is a S+W 39 no dash. It a straight 39. It is about 70%. It is just the pistol and 2 mags. No box or paper work. Any idea what it is worth? I was very suprised as I thought it was a dash 2. Another is a S+W model 34-1, .22 and a 4in barrell. About 95%. My wife loves this little revolver. Any idea on it's value? Not looking to sell. A search showed they are a bit rare. I cant seem to find a rough value. As I said not looking to sell, sentimental value. My oldest friend past after seemingly escaped a tour of SE Asia without a scratch only to have agent orange take him at 68. No family, just me and another buddy took care of things. Thanks folks.

Boolit Master

I am not an expert on the S&W model 39. Mine is a 639, and therefore it is stainless. I had a model 39 years ago and I seem to recall that the earlier model 39s had a steel frame and the later ones were aluminum. The talk back then put the blued steel frame at a higher value than the later aluminum ones. If yours is a steel frame, it might be worth more than the later aluminum ones. You might do some checking on that aspect.
    Mark 5:34 And He said to her (Jesus speaking), "Daughter, your faith has made you well. Go in peace and be healed of your affliction."

Boolit Buddy

It has a steel slide with an aluminum frame.

Boolit Buddy
    There are a couple of early Model 39s that sold at auction on Gunbroker recently. Both appeared to be in nice condition and sold at around $475 each.

There were several Model 34s sold from $400-700, depending on condition and presence or absence of the box and paperwork.

The 39 and 34-1 you inherited are nice guns. Neither model is in current production and S&W really doesn’t offer anything as good currently, in my opinion.

Shooter grade guns will be lower value than high condition guns, these guns all appeared unaltered from original configuration (original wood grips, etc)
    Last edited by Buzz Krumhunger; 12-24-2019 at 05:15 AM.

Banned
    As for value, the Model 39 is long out of production but those guns never had much of a collector's following. At 70% condition, I don't think that pistol would be an investment unless the buyer intended to hang onto it for a loooooong time.
    Back in the mid 1980's, when the wonder-nine craze was in full swing, I saw a lot of old 39's in display cases that had been sold or traded in when their owners just had to have a double stack pistol. At that time they sold for a little more than a 4" model 10 police trade in. It's now 35 years later and the model 39 is even older. There might be more interest due to age but I doubt it's in the collector's realm yet. I would put a 70% finish model 39 in the $300- $350 range assuming it functions and shoots well.

The model 34-1 is a horse of a different color. That 4" J-frame chambered in .22LR is coveted by collectors and hikers alike. A 4" model 34 with 95% finish that shoots well is highly valuable. IF...you can find one in good condition (a lot of those early 4", .22 J-frames have been used in the field their entire life), they start in the low $600's and go up from there. Even late 1980's production model 34's go for insane amounts of money if they have the 4" barrel and still have most of their original finish.
    For the OP, clearly you don't intend to sell either of those guns but the model 34-1 is by far the more valuable of the two.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks guys. Was curious. I recieved some black powder pistols that need a bunch of work. Not sure if I want bother doing repairs needed to make them functional. There was someone in Georgia that did work on them. Any remember the guy?

Moderator Emeritus

The 39 was reportedly used by SEALS in Viet Nam supposedly for its small profile and single stage mags. The ones I have shot are accurate. The 34 4" in not uncommon though the 2" is more often seen. It was a common mountain gun for hikers and horsemen when grouse was open season. I would cherish both of them but neither need an insurance rider.
    [The Montana Gianni] Front sight and squeeze

Boolit Buddy

Quote Originally Posted by MT Gianni View Post
    The 39 was reportedly used by SEALS in Viet Nam supposedly for its small profile and single stage mags. The ones I have shot are accurate. The 34 4" in not uncommon though the 2" is more often seen. It was a common mountain gun for hikers and horsemen when grouse was open season. I would cherish both of them but neither need an insurance rider.
    Good to know. Thanks.

Boolit Master
    The 39 is my favorite semi auto. Having smaller hands, i loved the grip. I have had two but sadly let them get away.
    A GUN THAT'S COCKED AND UNLOADED AIN'T GOOD FOR NUTHIN'........... ROOSTER COGBURN

I tried to buy a M39 near Christmas of '72 for my Dad, but could not find one! I was shooting a friend's at the time, and really wanted one for my Dad as it would have fit him so well. It sure did fit my hand very well. Ended up getting him a Browning HP instead. The Browning was never really right for him, but he liked it.

Boolit Master

I looked the Model 39 in the 1014 Standard Catalog of Firearms. The model was introduced in 1957. Two models one with the aluminum frame and steel slide. About $600. The all steel one is a bit rare and goes for $1750.
    Ole Jack
    "'Necesity' is the plea for every infringement of human freedom. It is the argument of Tyrants: it is the creed of slaves."
    William Pitt, 1783
    "America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we faulter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." Abraham Lincoln.

Boolit Buddy

Thanks Jack.