Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingInline FabricationLee Precision
RepackboxLoad DataRotoMetals2Wideners
MidSouth Shooters Supply
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First try at powdercoating

Boolit Bub

First try at powdercoating

I took advantage of Smoke's Christmas sale and ordered the 4-color pack to try my hand at powdercoating. For this first small test I used Smoke's Flame Red powder, Airsoft black .25g BBs, and a small round Rubbermaid bowl with #5 on the bottom of it and a snap-on cover.

Covered the bottom of the bowl with a single layer of BBs, added 26 .357 bullets (Lee TL SWC and WCs), a couple of teaspoons of powder and snapped on the lid. Swirled everything around for about 30 seconds, then shook up and down for a few seconds. I popped the cover to look at them and saw a few bare spots so I swirled and shook again. Everything looked well covered.

While my thrift store convection oven preheated, I picked the bullets out of the bowl with a pair of angled tweezers, tapped the tweezers against the rim of the bowl to shake off any excess powder, and stood them up in a shallow pan covered with non-stick foil. When the oven got to 400* (per a thermometer in the oven, not the oven display) I put them in and set the timer for 15 minutes. I noticed that I lost a lot of heat when I opened the door, down to about 375*, so I added 5 minutes to the bake time for a total of 20 minutes.

20 minutes later I took them out and let them cool on the pan.

There's some slight mottling in the color, I'm not sure why, but they look good enough to shoot. Took one SWC and pounded it flat with a hammer on top of my vise. Didn't see any peeling, flaking or chipping of the PC.

I'm happy with the results.

Obligatory pictures:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First PC 720.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	253775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First PC - Smash 720.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	253776

It is only the beginning, you are now officially hooked. Wait till you see a shiny barrel, it only gets worse.

Looks good, good job!

BNE
    I'm a Happy Clinger.

Vendor Sponsor

looking good ..
    Stay coated my friend
    [SIZE=4][B]Selling Hi Quality Powdercoating Powder

I carry a Nuke50 because cleaning up the mess is Silly !!

http://www.bing.com/search?q=nuke50&...7ADE&FORM=QBLH

I am not crazy my mom had me tested

Theres a fine line between genius and crazy .. I'm that line
    and depending on the day I might just step over that line !!!

Boolit Bub
    Thanks, guys.

Looking at the pictures again, I see a few thick areas. Guess I need to shake the excess off a little better next time. But I'm still happy with these.

Boolit Bub
    Second trial batch using Smoke's JD Green. These turned out even better with smooth, even color - really slick and shiny. What looks like bare spots in the picture are reflections of the foil and overhead lights.

I shook them off better when picking them out of the bowl, and was quicker getting them in the oven with no significant heat loss, so these were baked at 400* for 15 minutes.

Name:	JD Green.png 
Views:	75 
Size:	582.4 KB 
ID:	253805

Yeah, I'm hooked.

Dave

Boolit Buddy
    I’ve have not tried Smokes Red. JD green works well for me also. I really like his clear, goes on as a white powder, an baked looks like shiny lead!

Boolit Bub
    I'm going to try some of his clear, also. I like the idea of shiny lead. Waiting on Translucent Copper to get back in stock, then I'll try a sample pack of clear, copper, and some kind of blue.

Boolit Master

Looks good. Those SWCs are one of my favorites. I still tumble lube my wadcutters with 45-45-10.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I can only hope that my first try at powder coating will be half as good as those!

ACC

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by 2wheelDuke View Post
    Looks good. Those SWCs are one of my favorites. I still tumble lube my wadcutters with 45-45-10.
    I was thinking that I may just keep tumble lubing the wadcutters, I just threw some into these test batches to see how the do. It seems like a waste for them since they are low velocity and so little of them is seen when they are loaded.

I've been tumble lubing everything with Lee Liquid Alox, but wanted to try PC on the SWCs to see if I can get some higher velocity .357 Magnum loads, and use it on bullets for 9mm.

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    I can only hope that my first try at powder coating will be half as good as those!

ACC
    Thanks, the first try with red had some flaws, but I'm really happy with the second batch using the green. I can't take much credit though - Smoke's powder and advice, and all the lessons learned by others and posted here on castboolits made it really simple.

I'll bet yours will turn out just as good or better.

You are in trouble now. You will start to color code your calibers. They look good. Before you run out of the non stick foil you should get some silicon baking sheets. They work great and no sticking. The size I got , I was able to cut in half to fit my oven size.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveTNC View Post
    I was thinking that I may just keep tumble lubing the wadcutters, I just threw some into these test batches to see how the do. It seems like a waste for them since they are low velocity and so little of them is seen when they are loaded.

I've been tumble lubing everything with Lee Liquid Alox, but wanted to try PC on the SWCs to see if I can get some higher velocity .357 Magnum loads, and use it on bullets for 9mm.
    Powder coating is a game changer for loading cast boolits in 9mm. Especially when paired with a boolit designed for PC (no lube groove). I'm now in 9mm Nirvana, PC'ing a no lube groove MP Molds 124 gr boolit.
    "Things sure are a lot more like the way they are now than they used to be." --Yogi Berra

Now that your in this RabbitHole with the rest of us we can start talking the little details that'll make it easier and easier yet produce better and better results in the days ahead.

For those pesky cast that'll fall over on the cook sheet, try a silicone mat, they come in various sizes of holes that are a smidge larger than the cast...

Just don't be clever as I thought I was when I tried to snug fit the PC'd cast to the hole of the mat...it'll give you a goofy looking bottom that is not acceptable, like this 8mm I tried!

Look in the wife's pantry and find some parchment paper, it will go about 5 times in the oven before replacing it and I think it's easier than working with aluminum non stick foil. Another plus with the parchment is that she will keep you in stock without her even knowing...

a m e r i c a n p r a v d a

Be a Patriot . . . expose their lies!

“In a time of deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.” G. Orwell

Boolit Master
    As someone else mentioned, get some of Smokes clear. I tend to use it with every color mixed about 2/3 color and 1/3 clear. It gives me great coverage and a neat translucent color.

I intended to color code my calibers when I started, but I like experimenting so much that it got out of hand. I have approximately 8 colors and I've even mixed a few of my own. Since it's all quality powder and cured the same way, they all work, but admit I may have a problem with experimenting....

Get a silicone baking sheet close to the size of your pan, cut it to fit and it'll last I don't know how long. Good thing about the sheet is you get a good coverage on the base too. Probably 90% of the bullets I cast now are GC the bottom being coated isn't very important, but there it is.

Boolit Bub
    Looks like silicone mats are popular. I just stole some of my wife's non-stick foil, but might have to try silicone. I might also see if she has any parchment paper and try that, but the non-stick foil worked great.

The ones with the hex shaped holes look like they would be great for rifle bullets, but right now I'm just casting for pistol. Plan to get into .223 and .30 caliber some day, though.

I definitely want to try some of Smoke's clear and Translucent copper. I like the idea of bullets looking like bullets.

Boolit Master
    Looks like silicone mats are popular. I just stole some of my wife's non-stick foil, but might have to try silicone. I might also see if she has any parchment paper and try that, but the non-stick foil worked great.

The ones with the hex shaped holes look like they would be great for rifle bullets, but right now I'm just casting for pistol. Plan to get into .223 and .30 caliber some day, though.

I definitely want to try some of Smoke's clear and Translucent copper. I like the idea of bullets looking like bullets.
    They still look like bullets, just prettier with color!👍👍👍

I started with non stick foil and it worked fine. You'll not get too many batches before it tears or a bullet will pull some off, but until you get your silicone mat, it'll work.

I have some of the translucent copper and it has quite a bit of clear in it. With one coat, it isn't too coppery. It does give a good coat though.

Boolit Master
    I might be the only person that prefers they stick to the foil. for quenching from the oven I like that I can throw the tray in a bucket and they don't fall off.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by bmortell View Post
    I might be the only person that prefers they stick to the foil. for quenching from the oven I like that I can throw the tray in a bucket and they don't fall off.
    With a silicon mat all you need to do is slide the mat into the water or pick up the corners of the mat and transfer the bullets to where ever you want. A mat will hold the weight and not tear. When the box of non-stick foil or parchment is empty you don't cook, what if the shelves are bare? I have been using the same mats I started with in 2012 after cooking tens of thousands of bullets.

I took advantage of Smoke's Christmas sale and ordered the 4-color pack to try my hand at powdercoating. For this first small test I used Smoke's Flame Red powder, Airsoft black .25g BBs, and a small round Rubbermaid bowl with #5 on the bottom of it and a snap-on cover.

Covered the bottom of the bowl with a single layer of BBs, added 26 .357 bullets (Lee TL SWC and WCs), a couple of teaspoons of powder and snapped on the lid. Swirled everything around for about 30 seconds, then shook up and down for a few seconds. I popped the cover to look at them and saw a few bare spots so I swirled and shook again. Everything looked well covered.

While my thrift store convection oven preheated, I picked the bullets out of the bowl with a pair of angled tweezers, tapped the tweezers against the rim of the bowl to shake off any excess powder, and stood them up in a shallow pan covered with non-stick foil. When the oven got to 400* (per a thermometer in the oven, not the oven display) I put them in and set the timer for 15 minutes. I noticed that I lost a lot of heat when I opened the door, down to about 375*, so I added 5 minutes to the bake time for a total of 20 minutes.

20 minutes later I took them out and let them cool on the pan.

There's some slight mottling in the color, I'm not sure why, but they look good enough to shoot. Took one SWC and pounded it flat with a hammer on top of my vise. Didn't see any peeling, flaking or chipping of the PC.

I'm happy with the results.

Obligatory pictures:

Name:	First PC 720.jpg 
Views:	89 
Size:	133.5 KB 
ID:	253775Click image for larger version. 

Name:	First PC - Smash 720.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	48.9 KB 
ID:	253776
    So you are a newbe too? So am I. Did my first PCing yesterday and I will never go back to waxy lubing again! Yours looks great. I am going to post some pictures tomorrow.

ACC

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast