Lee PrecisionMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline FabricationRepackbox
Titan ReloadingWidenersLoad DataRotoMetals2
Reloading Everything
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: First try at powdercoating

Boolit Bub
    Quote Originally Posted by ACC View Post
    Here are my first powder coated bullets. I like this stuff. If I had my choice I won't have picked black but hey it's OK. These are LEE 125 gr. RNFP boolits.

ACC
    Those look really good. Nothing to it, is there?

Just a little nerve in trying something new.

ACC

Boolit Grand Master Tripplebeards's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Now that your in this RabbitHole with the rest of us we can start talking the little details that'll make it easier and easier yet produce better and better results in the days ahead.

For those pesky cast that'll fall over on the cook sheet, try a silicone mat, they come in various sizes of holes that are a smidge larger than the cast...

Just don't be clever as I thought I was when I tried to snug fit the PC'd cast to the hole of the mat...it'll give you a goofy looking bottom that is not acceptable, like this 8mm I tried!

Look in the wife's pantry and find some parchment paper, it will go about 5 times in the oven before replacing it and I think it's easier than working with aluminum non stick foil. Another plus with the parchment is that she will keep you in stock without her even knowing...

Where did you find those silicone mats??? I have tried silicone mats and they work great for non gas checked boolits. I have trouble using gas checks on ones I put on a silicone sheet because the PC flows down making a little lip around the base.

Boolit Bub
    The cheapest place to get the flat mats and cube trays is ePay. I don't have any of the waffle type. I have seen those at WallyWorld, but not in a size I could use.

Boolit Master
    If you have a Costco ours was selling a package containing two 1/2 baker's sheet size and one smaller mat for $10. These are high quality 500 degree silicone mats. I have been using these same mats since 2012 when I first posted about my wife suggesting I use silicon mats instead using up all the non-stick foil. They are easily cut to size without issue. I use a paper cutter for clean straight lines.

Quote Originally Posted by OS OK View Post
    Now that your in this RabbitHole with the rest of us we can start talking the little details that'll make it easier and easier yet produce better and better results in the days ahead.

For those pesky cast that'll fall over on the cook sheet, try a silicone mat, they come in various sizes of holes that are a smidge larger than the cast...

Just don't be clever as I thought I was when I tried to snug fit the PC'd cast to the hole of the mat...it'll give you a goofy looking bottom that is not acceptable, like this 8mm I tried!

Look in the wife's pantry and find some parchment paper, it will go about 5 times in the oven before replacing it and I think it's easier than working with aluminum non stick foil. Another plus with the parchment is that she will keep you in stock without her even knowing...

Wish I could find some of those for 357 bullets. I have searched the web with no luck. Anyone know were the could be had?

ACC

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripplebeards View Post
    Where did you find those silicone mats??? I have tried silicone mats and they work great for non gas checked boolits. I have trouble using gas checks on ones I put on a silicone sheet because the PC flows down making a little lip around the base.
    Gas checks no problem if you have some sheet metal,drill, right bit or reamer size. Drill a hole the same size as the GC base. Of course you have to spray, but the base stays clean.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1811_1_1.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	93.4 KB 
ID:	254817

Boolit Master
    Well, I also jumped into PC today. I had been reading and collecting everything needed for the past couple years. It went well. I shot 46 of them and the barrel was pretty clean! Baked 2 little batches of JD green (Smokes), 198 ct, sacrificed one to the smash test, looked fine. 4.1 of WSF, sized to .358", all feed, fired and ejected fine, all on target. Seems too easy! Maybe just good prep work, thanks to all those who had the courage before me!!!! Nothing to be scared about. Temp was low 50s and humidity 64-66% in my garage today.

One issue, I used parchment paper and the cured boolits pretty much stuck to the paper, I was hoping they were not going to be incendiary rounds going into my backstop. Getting NS tin foil for the next try.
    Take a kid to the range, you'll both be glad you did.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by remy3424 View Post
    Well, I also jumped into PC today. I had been reading and collecting everything needed for the past couple years. It went well. I shot 46 of them and the barrel was pretty clean! Baked 2 little batches of JD green (Smokes), 198 ct, sacrificed one to the smash test, looked fine. 4.1 of WSF, sized to .358", all feed, fired and ejected fine, all on target. Seems too easy! Maybe just good prep work, thanks to all those who had the courage before me!!!! Nothing to be scared about. Temp was low 50s and humidity 64-66% in my garage today.

One issue, I used parchment paper and the cured boolits pretty much stuck to the paper, I was hoping they were not going to be incendiary rounds going into my backstop. Getting NS tin foil for the next try.
    Congrats on taking the plunge and you are right start off with a good powder and you are halfway there.

I only use parchment when I spray hollow points to shield my "Bed of Nails" from having the powder cook on it as well as my bullets. Otherwise I use and recommend silicone baking mats over parchment or non-stick foil. I purchased mine in 2012 at Costco, two large and one small for $10. Costco still sells these, but you can find equal quality at Amazon. I am still using my original mats after tens of thousands of bullets. Just make sure you get the ticker mats these lightweight grill mats do not hold up at all and especially on the grill.

Name:	IMG_20181210_090801995_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	255910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1503_1.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	255911

Boolit Mold
    Getting items together to start this process. You mention a thicker silicone mat. Do you consider the mats from Costco thick or thin? Want to get mats ordered and have no clue as to what is considered thicker. Thank you..
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Congrats on taking the plunge and you are right start off with a good powder and you are halfway there.

I only use parchment when I spray hollow points to shield my "Bed of Nails" from having the powder cook on it as well as my bullets. Otherwise I use and recommend silicone baking mats over parchment or non-stick foil. I purchased mine in 2012 at Costco, two large and one small for $10. Costco still sells these, but you can find equal quality at Amazon. I am still using my original mats after tens of thousands of bullets. Just make sure you get the ticker mats these lightweight grill mats do not hold up at all and especially on the grill.

Name:	IMG_20181210_090801995_1.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	255910Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1503_1.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	255911

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Cookr21 View Post
    Getting items together to start this process. You mention a thicker silicone mat. Do you consider the mats from Costco thick or thin? Want to get mats ordered and have no clue as to what is considered thicker. Thank you..
    Good question. Yes, the mats at Costco are what I refer to as a thicker mat. They can be cut to size ( I use a paper cutter for straight cuts) and you can cook on either side. They stay in place and do not slide. The bullets do not slide like they do on parchment or foil. After cooking the bullets are adhered very lightly to the mat, but release easily with gentle pressure. The larger mats are 1/2 baker's sheet size. I use bakers' pans in my 30" oven. In my toaster ovens I have wrapped the racks with roof flashing giving me a flat, strong & durable surface. I lay cut to size mats on these racks.

I see Amazon carries several options of the MIU brand as well as others. I can only vouch for the MIU brand as they are the only ones I use.

Name:	SAM_1502_1.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	255953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1501_1.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	255954

Boolit Mold
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonheart View Post
    Good question. Yes, the mats at Costco are what I refer to as a thicker mat. They can be cut to size ( I use a paper cutter for straight cuts) and you can cook on either side. They stay in place and do not slide. The bullets do not slide like they do on parchment or foil. After cooking the bullets are adhered very lightly to the mat, but release easily with gentle pressure. The larger mats are 1/2 baker's sheet size. I use bakers' pans in my 30" oven. In my toaster ovens I have wrapped the racks with roof flashing giving me a flat, strong & durable surface. I lay cut to size mats on these racks.

I see Amazon carries several options of the MIU brand as well as others. I can only vouch for the MIU brand as they are the only ones I use.

Name:	SAM_1502_1.JPG 
Views:	16 
Size:	71.8 KB 
ID:	255953Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SAM_1501_1.JPG 
Views:	11 
Size:	61.2 KB 
ID:	255954
    Thanks for the pics and information. Nearest Costco is 100 miles away. Will check SAMS and my local stores first. Most likely I'll purchase from amazon.

Boolit Master
    One other thing you might want to consider if going to Amazon is a SS baker's cooling rack for spacing bullets, especially the smaller bullets that can topple easily going into the oven. Once there the rack can be lifted off and used to load another tray. The photo is 1/2 sheet bakers pans that hold 700+ bullets sitting on the silicon mats that unaltered fit these pans.

Name:	231_1_1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	196.5 KB 
ID:	255972Click image for larger version. 

Name:	233_1_1.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	245.4 KB 
ID:	255973

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123