MidSouth Shooters SupplyLee PrecisionWidenersRepackbox
Reloading EverythingInline FabricationRotoMetals2Titan Reloading
Load Data

Thread: Last day of bear season 2019

Boolit Master

Last day of bear season 2019

I'm out west on the cast near the CA/OR border for the moment. A good buddy called last night wanting to know if I was up for the last bear hunt of the season. We hunted deer and bear several times this fall, mostly driving with rifles. We saw a lot of track and sign, a bunch of yearlings and does, but not bucks.

One spot got hot and 7 were taken the same day within about 10 acres of land. We saw none of that. I tracked a bear for several hundred yards in an area where rain had been quite recent, say several hours. The trail started heading to where my buddy couldn't go as he's 69 and still recovering from a broken hip.

I'm not actually hunting, I'm the muscle so to speak, and I promised his wife he won't go in the woods alone. She goes with him but is still working so I'm the back up. I enjoy spending time with my good friend of 30 years. We've raised kids together, raised hell together, caught Salmon, Ling Cod, Snapper, and other species in the ocean, killed duck on the little lake near his house. Hopefully tomorrow a Bear.

It is CA after all, cast boolits are out of the question since July 1, this year. We sighted in rifles for solid copper bullets last spring and he is confident in his load. I'll just have to use my cast boolits in CO. Sure, I have some 'CA approved' loads I could use but the cost of license and tags for residents in CA is more than non-resident license and tags in CO. I can't wait to plant a big Mule Deer with a cast boolit. Hopefully tomorrow a bruin will get planted with hand loaded premium ammo, albeit not cast.
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Good friends are hard to come by. You all enjoy your hunt, and tell us all about it when you get back.

Boolit Master

Unfortunately, the hunt did not transpire. My friend called me early to say he was ill and couldn't go. It's okay, we had fun before season preparing loads and during the season hopeful of success. The real success is a good friendship for 30 years. We get together every Wednesday when I teach his grandson guitar. Before and after lessons, we hang out and pretty much talk about fun (and stupid) things we'd done and may do again.

I'm helping him restore an old 14' aluminum boat his Dad bought in 1961. Transom and seats have been redone and prepping continues to re-paint the boat. I'm trying to talk him into wiring electrical for a heated snow suit so the cold doesn't affect the steel rod in his hip. I'm trying to keep him looking forward to getting out to hunt, fish, and generally just hang out. He'll be 70 in a few months and I just want him to enjoy the quality of life things he and I enjoy. It makes his wife happy as she is a sweet lady who loves to hunt and fish but is still working. I mostly keep him out of trouble
    Common sense Gun Safety . . .

Is taught at the Range!

Boolit Grand Master

Hopefully he can get healthy and work on strengthening the hip for next season. Good friends are hard to come by