RotoMetals2Titan ReloadingReloading EverythingLoad Data
RepackboxInline FabricationMidSouth Shooters SupplyLee Precision
Snyders Jerky Wideners
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Heading for TX in the morning

Boolit Buddy

Heading for TX in the morning

Tomorrow six of us will depart for Texas to hunt some hogs. Will be me, a son in law and three grandsons. The rest of the gang will be shooting modern jacketed stuff. I'll take a 270 along mostly for one of the grandsons to use. My own will be an Navy Arms (Uberti) Win 1885 high wall loaded with PC lee 405 flat base bullets over 5744 at about 1520 fps. This is not an accuracy champ but holds about 3 inches at 100 with my eyes. I'll be looking for 50 yard shots for sure.

I'll try to make it a real time hunt.

Good luck, try to get them all!
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master
    Quote Originally Posted by longcruise View Post
    Tomorrow six of us will depart for Texas to hunt some hogs. Will be me, a son in law and three grandsons. The rest of the gang will be shooting modern jacketed stuff. I'll take a 270 along mostly for one of the grandsons to use. My own will be an Navy Arms (Uberti) Win 1885 high wall loaded with PC lee 405 flat base bullets over 5744 at about 1520 fps. This is not an accuracy champ but holds about 3 inches at 100 with my eyes. I'll be looking for 50 yard shots for sure.

I'll try to make it a real time hunt.
    Good luck to you and yours! Pictures if you get success would be great. Where in the great nation of Texas you hunting the scourge?

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk

Welcome to Texas, we'd appreciate it if you shoot every hog you see. To The Hunt!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Boolit Grand Master
    pick me up on the way
    good luck
    may the force be with you
    Hit em'hard
    hit em'often

Boolit Master

Which part of Tejas? It's a big state you know? )

Sounds like you have the right medicine for them hogs, good luck!
    Liberalism is the triumph of emotion over intellect, but masquerading as the reverse.

I don't know how we ever shot maximum loads before P/C come along and saved us all. R5R

"No mosque in the United States flies an American flag."

"Dueling should have never been made illegal in this country. It settled lots of issues between folks."- Char-Gar

Shoot up as many as you can!

Boolit Master

GREAT
    SHOOT LOTS of THEM, Please
    Looking forward to the hunt report
    Mike
    NRA Benefactor 2004 USAF RET 1971-95

Trap some and take them home. Then you will have plenty where you live in no time.

Slim
    JUST GOTTA LOVE THIS JOINT.

Boolit Buddy
    Got 5 family members heading down in March. Son in law and the grandkids will be shooting 30-06, 308 and 7-08 with jacketed. Not sure what my son will be taking, but it'll be jacketed as well. I'm probably taking a 7-08 or 250-3000 with jacketed, but main focus will be 38-55 Marlin with 250 gr cast at 1400. Thought about taking the 308 with the Saeco #315 clone cast, but took 3 does during rifle season here so something else gets to go.

Boolit Master
    I hope you guys do some great pig shooting. Whole bunch of them that need shooting!

Banned

Shoot every one you see.......where in Texas are you coming to?

Boolit Buddy
    Couple hours west of San Antonio from what I hear

Boolit Mold
    I live in Arizona and would like to come to Texas to hunt some hogs. Is there any were to hunt that isn't private land?

[QUOTE=BLACKOUT;. Is there any were to hunt that isn't private land?[/QUOTE]

There's some.

When the Republic came into the union, they gave everything from the North boundry about up to Canada,
    and West of our state boundry almost to the Calif. & Arizona Territorys to the federal govt.
    Everything else belonged to the new state.
    The state sold land and used it to pay debts for several years since there was such a small tax base.

There's some open federal land now, and some state public land left, but not a lot.
    Most of it is in the far West where its pretty baron, looks like the moon, and is worth about 12 cents a acre.
    Last edited by Winger Ed.; 12-29-2019 at 02:04 PM.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Master

I hope you enjoy your family time.
    NRA Benefactor Member NRA Golden Eagle

Quote Originally Posted by BLACKOUT View Post
    I live in Arizona and would like to come to Texas to hunt some hogs. Is there any were to hunt that isn't private land?
    Google Drawn Hunts and public land hunting in Texas. North central Texas has the LBJ Grasslands that can be very productive although it is shotgun, archery, and black powder only proposition.

Boolit Mold
    send us updates or post-hunt results

Banned

My folks lived about 20 years just outside of Decatur in a rural place (rural is relative, that area of the state is populating fast) adjacent to the LBJ Grasslands which is public and allows hunting and seems to me you didn't have to jump through many hoops to use it. While I was still on active duty and claimed Texas residency, I deer hunted there several years, but deer are scarce. Some of the locals told me they had hogs, though I never saw any. That was several years ago, things may be different now, but if you want to hunt public land in Texas, it's an option.

Boolit Buddy
    It's been a while but I wasn't able to real time the hunt since the service was so poor at the ranch. We drove back on new years day.

We arrived just at dark the day before the hunt began. There were six of us. Here's a picture of all but myself in the bunkhouse just after arrival.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20191229_181429.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	76.5 KB 
ID:	254144

Next morning we were transported to blinds well before daylight where we settled in for the wait. My 14 year old grandson was my blind partner that morning. You can probably see the excitement on his face.

Name:	20191230_080642.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	31.7 KB 
ID:	254146

We sat it out till 10 AM without seeing any animals. Some of our group saw a few small ones but no shots were taken.

During the day I took the 14 year old and 16 year old on a spot and stalk. They didn't need me along but I wanted to reassure myself of their ability to hunt together AND observe all safety and common sense rules. They passed with flying colors I'm happy to say. During the day we spotted a hog sleeping along the edge of some junipers and commenced to stalk. Turned out there were three of them. They spotted us at about fifty yards and started trotting in different directions Both boys made perfect shots within a few seconds of each other. The third hog trotted right past me but I passed on the shot. The boys were not shooting cast but I'm throwing their picture up because it was the first "big game" animal for both of them.

Name:	20191230_132636.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	254148

That evening the two boys sat a blind together and I was alone. It didn't take long for a few hogs to show up. They were mostly small ones but I did pick one out that was "big enough" and lowered the 45-70-405 boom on him. Quite small and a good eating size which some came to call a two sandwich size. I was quite happy with him for starters and resolved to shoot no more unless they were very large.

Name:	20191230_153454.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	74.4 KB 
ID:	254149

Later some larger ones showed up but I decided to pass them up for maybe much larger.

Name:	20191230_155410.jpg 
Views:	28 
Size:	57.5 KB 
ID:	254151

Name:	20191230_155522.jpg 
Size:	48.6 KB 
ID:	254152

There were quite a few deer on the ranch as well as some sheep exotics.

Name:	20191230_135523.jpg 
Size:	57.3 KB 
ID:	254153

Name:	20191231_174919.jpg 
Views:	30 
Size:	56.8 KB 
ID:	254154

So, that's about it. The six of us killed ten hogs total which was plenty of pork for us to take home.

I saw several more larger hogs but chose to pass them by and let the kids do more shooting. My son in law came up empty but I suspect he planned it that way. The older grandson took one hog during a spot and stalk but passed in the blind in favor of his 12 year old brother who took two hogs. The two boys in the picture above killed three each one of which was the largest that we saw taken on the ranch during the time we were there.