RepackboxReloading EverythingMidSouth Shooters SupplyInline Fabrication
Lee PrecisionTitan ReloadingWidenersLoad Data
RotoMetals2
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading question about grain weight.

Reloading question about grain weight.

I have some 95 grain LRN .380 I want to load up, however the only data I can find in my 3 manuals does not show a load recipe for the 95gr. LGN only 90gr.
    Now I always forget, is it ok to load up using a recipe for a slightly lighter bullet or a slightly heavier bullet using the same data as log as you start low and work your way up?
    The powders I have on hand and will be using are Unique, and Bullseye. I also have HP-38 but dont see that one mentioned in my 3 manuals so Im not going to be using it.
    Any other suggestions as well. Thanks.

It is ok to substitute a lighter bullet if all you have is a heavier bullets load data. The example would be if you had load data for a 100gr bullet and you wanted to load for a 95gr bullet.

Using a heavier bullet in place of a lighter bullet will increase pressure.

In your case, have you check Alliant’s website? Sometimes there is loaded data published online that is more up to date then what is publish in the manuals. You might find something there.

Jay Andrew
    www.theballisticassistant.com

Quote Originally Posted by Valornor View Post
    It is ok to substitute a lighter bullet if all you have is a heavier bullets load data. The example would be if you had load data for a 100gr bullet and you wanted to load for a 95gr bullet.

Using a heavier bullet in place of a lighter bullet will increase pressure.

In your case, have you check Alliant’s website? Sometimes there is loaded data published online that is more up to date then what is publish in the manuals. You might find something there.

Jay Andrew
    Thanks for the information. I will check it out now.

I'm a big Unique fan for .380.

You can't get enough powder in the case to hurt yourself.
    In school: We learn lessons, and are given tests.
    In life: We are given tests, and learn lessons.

OK People. Enough of this idle chit-chat.
    This ain't your Grandma's sewing circle.
    EVERYONE!
    Back to your oars. The Captain wants to waterski.

Boolit Grand Master

You can use heavier data with a lighter bullet as a starting point start light and work up slowly and carefully. To use a heavier bullet with lighter data takes some math. Figure the percentage of how much heavier the heavy bullet is then reduce the starting load this much then another 5% and work up from there.

You can usually find data somewhere to get a starting point. I prefer loading manuals but powder manufacturers, bullet manufacturers, and some other sites can be used for a starting point. Un supported data should be checked with a manual or other sources and worked up to.

I load a 100 grn cast bullet in 380 acp as a duplication load for the rem GS load I carry in them. One thing important is the 380 is a small case and light charge so a small jump is a big change and pressures can jump quickly.

Boolit Grand Master

I just started reloading 380 (realized I didn't have a 380 so I had to buy one) and see the same lack of data for a 95 gr. cast bullet. In our case 5 grains isn't a "dangerous" difference, but care should be taken. I started with starting loads for 90 gr. bullets and haven't had any problems. I certainly will not use near max.

BTW my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3 shows data for a 92 gr. RN which could be used without going to max.

In typical "normal" instances a lighter bullet can safely use a heavier bullet's data. But as always start at the minimum and work up...
    My Anchor is holding fast!

Banned
    I've started halfway between the min and max load for that bullet without a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post

In typical "normal" instances a lighter bullet can safely use a heavier bullet's data. But as always start at the minimum and work up...
    Ok thanks. I just found in my manual it shows 102gr. LRN using 4.6gr of bullseye as a starting point, so I should be ok to start here using my 95gr bullet?

Quote Originally Posted by mdi View Post
    BTW my Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook #3 shows data for a 92 gr. RN which could be used without going to max.
    Would you be able to take a picture of that and post it for me to see???

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by usmc0811 View Post
    Ok thanks. I just found in my manual it shows 102gr. LRN using 4.6gr of bullseye as a starting point, so I should be ok to start here using my 95gr bullet?
    That is not right.

In my manual it shows a 90gr with a starting load of 2.4 gr of bullseye and a max of 3.0 gr. DO NOT LOAD THAT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! Caution WILL Robbinson

Sounds like you are in 9mm reloading data.

Quote Originally Posted by Valornor View Post

Jay Andrew
    I did check their webpage and didnt see the information i needed.

Banned
    If you look at the 100gr jacketed data and the 92 gr lead data they are pretty close on the 380. One could probably venture between 2.4gr of bullseye and go toward a max of around 2.7 watching for signs of pressure and so forth.

Lymans 46th and 49th editions

Banned
    I have some 95 grain LRN .380 I want to load up, however the only data I can find in my 3 manuals does not show a load recipe for the 95gr. LGN only 90gr.
    Now I always forget, is it ok to load up using a recipe for a slightly lighter bullet or a slightly heavier bullet using the same data as log as you start low and work your way up?
    The powders I have on hand and will be using are Unique, and Bullseye. I also have HP-38 but dont see that one mentioned in my 3 manuals so Im not going to be using it.
    Any other suggestions as well. Thanks.
    Your first post...

My data for a 92 gr bullet shows bullseye at 2.4- 3.0 and 231 2.3-3.5 gr Now HP38 is supposed to be the same as 231.

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    That is not right.

In my manual it shows a 90gr with a starting load of 2.4 gr of bullseye and a max of 3.0 gr. DO NOT LOAD THAT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!! Caution WILL Robbinson

OK I will not. I will try to upload a picture to show you what I am looking at. Thanks and thats why I ask a lot of questions before I continue loading and learn this the safe way.

Boolit Master

usmc0811, that 4.6 gr Bullseye is for 9mm, not .380.
    My Lyman Cast Bullet Manual 4th edition shows the following for Lee 102 rn for the .380 ACP:
    Bullseye 2.6 - 3.0
    Unique 2.9 - 3.3

Quote Originally Posted by 6bg6ga View Post
    That is not right.

You are 100% correct I was looking on the next page which was 9mm data!!!!! I really need to pay more attention, thank you for bringing this to my attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Rattlesnake Charlie View Post
    usmc0811, that 4.6 gr Bullseye is for 9mm, not .380.
    My Lyman Cast Bullet Manual 4th edition shows the following for Lee 102 rn for the .380 ACP:
    Bullseye 2.6 - 3.0
    Unique 2.9 - 3.3
    Yes I was just informed about that, you guys are great and very knowledgeable I am glad to be here on this web forum learning from all you. I will pay more attention in the future, no excuse on my part.

Banned
    Don't beat yourself. You posted the info we were lucky enough to catch the error. The main thing is you are safe and you didn't blow up the gun or get anyone hurt that might have been near you.

Boolit Master
    The more manuals you have the better comparing loads in different manuals will cause you to take another look at a load from one that is way out of line of the others and catch mistakes be it our mistake or the data we are looking at. And there are manuals with questionable or dangerous data.
    You may also want to keep a log when working up loads to know what works well for you and will save you from doing it all over . I don't depend on my memory for load data.

Boolit Master
    Bullseye always worked great for my cast loads in the past. Also worked good in 9mm and 32 acp.,just watch out for double charges. Even in the small 380 case bullseye fills vary little space,but a bottle last so long. I like it

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast